iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adjusting an MS260

Started by DLMaine01, August 27, 2018, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLMaine01

I am having trouble adjusting the carb on my 260. I replaced the carburetor with an aftermarket one. It starts on choke fine and will idle ok but will not spool up enough to turn the chain much. I put the carb to factory settings but any other adjustments I do does not seem to help much. I replaced the carb due to age and general lower performance issues. It is a cheap aftermarket carb but I know some others that have worked just fine.
Any advice appreciated! 

DelawhereJoe

Did you replace the fuel lines, there could be a crack in it and that crack is sucking in air.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DLMaine01

Yes, replaced fuel line with a genuine Stihl one and the impulse line as well.

Woodcutter_Mo

I used a cheap aftermarket carb on my 024 which worked good for a while then started acting up. I opened up the carb and found some fine metal dust inside, I assume from the manufacturing process, that I believe to be the issue. Maybe open it up and see. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

millwright

Also make sure the muffler screen is open, if it is plugged it will idle but not rev up.

DLMaine01

Thanks for the replies. I did check the muffler screen as I had read that could be a problem in some of my research. 
I was able to find a step by step for adjusting the saw which I will try this weekend. If that is a no go I will open up the carb and clean.
Thanks again.

Pulphook

Worth the extra $$$ to refit with the Stihl carb for the 260. Aftermarket copies don't have the same tolerances; often China.
Not worth the hastle, since most of the effort is the install.
We've all been there.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

teakwood

Aftermarket carb works fine. i did two 260s with AM chinese carbs, around 12-15$. they work well.  We have members here that have used dozens of AM carbs on their rebuilds and they haven't complained 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Pulphook

Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Mad Professor

ZeroJunk

Could also be that your lower performance issues weren't the carb to start with.

DLMaine01

Success! Used the instructions I found online and it is running fine now. I bought the saw used so I never had a manual for it. Was able to cut for a bit today and all was good. I also thought the aftermarket carb was a risk, hit or miss, but this one is doing OK at the moment.
I also have a MS290 and these 2 saws make a good team.

Thank You Sponsors!