iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting the control box wiring on LT40 to create a stationary operating station

Started by DGK, June 10, 2018, 01:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

Hello All,

I am on to my next after the next modification to the LT40. The plan is to cut the wiring to the control box to relocate the control box to a mount off of the hitch similar to a command control. I use the dragback and will add guide fingers etc. I am thinking that a few multi-pin connectors (canon plugs) should work. One set in the walk-along standard position, the other, on an extension cable mounted overhead to the front of the mill. No need for a cat track. My goal is to be able to return the mill to a walk-along should I need to.

Any thoughts or feedback is always greatly appreciated.

PS, this mod will be done after the new 38hp engine arrives at the end of the month  to replace the 28 that I currently have.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Percy

Sounds like a great mod! If your LT40 is not equipped with relays for your up/down and feed motors, I would install them(easy with diagrams). The skinny wire in the connectors you plan on using might not take the current the motors need to function properly... Once you get it done,(stationary mod), you will love it. From a production standpoint, the stationary and dragback features of my mill are a must if you wanna be alive at the end of a high volume day....Of course, you will need a way to deal with all the boards/flitches/waste in a timely fashion....one mod begats another mod begats another mod begats....you get bmy drift ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DGK

Hi Percy,

I already have the solenoids for the power feed motor and will be installing an additional 2 solenoids for the new up/down motor when it arrives with the engine. I haven't sourced the canon plugs yet but am planning to see if I need to increase the wire gauge for the long run. As far as the material handling goes, I run a 3 person crew so it all is managed without any bottlenecks at the moment. The reason for the stationary position and the engine upgrade, is to increase the speed of the cut on the wider/longer logs as my support crew is now waiting on the saw and to be able to do other work when running only 2 of us. 
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Percy

Im not sure how many amps the blade guide arm  or debarker in/out uses but using them fairly cheap  bosch type 5 pin relays available at most parts stores have served me well over the years. Long run control current can be very minimal which works well in your situation. Pics when your doing it??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Darrel

Sounds to me like a great idea. And should be pretty straight forward. Good luck with the mod. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

Just be careful when you first start to operate it as a remote mill, you are liable to walk smack into the control box several times as the head begins to move away from you. Old habbits die hard. It's an embarrassing thing to do in front of a group of people.  ;)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!