iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fish Pond

Started by Ken, July 14, 2015, 09:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

My daughter and her husband have bought a beautiful 100+ acre property with a 4+ acre man-made pond on site.   I have spent some time their this spring cleaning up some blowdown, constructing some more roads and in the past few days put some 5-8" brook trout in the pond.   I went out each night to put some fish food out and have gotten them to feed in their new surroundings but they seem to have so far stayed very close to where they were put in the pond.   I'm hoping they will eventually move around the pond. 

The pond seems to have lots of life including an abundance of chub from very small to 6" or so.  Will the brook trout eat these chub?   

The pond is all spring fed and there is a good flow of water out of the pond year-round.  Will the trout spawn in the pond and what is the likelihood of them reproducing successfully?

I would welcome any other comments or suggestions with respect to raising these trout.   My daughter and her husband only have limited time to spent at this little piece of paridise so I will have to look after it for them.  Oh well 8)
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WmFritz

Ken I feel really bad for you. I can't help you with the trout question, but I could show you how to eat them.  ;D

Congrats to the kids.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

Can't help much either other than I'll help catch them and then WmFritz can help us eat them  ;D.

Raider Bill

#fishpharmer may have all the answers
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Your description planted visions in my mind.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snowstorm

i had better luck with rainbows. i tried brookies. they lasted a couple years. when i got mine i was told not to feed them. if the pond has been there for a few yrs there should be enough feed for them. the big problem is keeping the birds from getting them

Ken

Rainbows used to be the fish of choice for pond owners but I believe regulations disallow non native fish to be raised in ponds that drain into fish bearing streams.   I'm not against thinning the avian population if that becomes too big of an issue.   

I've spent a few nights there this week floating around the pond throwing out fish food and watching and listening to the wildlife.  Even had a moose walk out and feed along the edges while I paddled.  Very enjoyable.  I've told my daughter I can hardly wait until they build a cottage there because they will not have time to use it.  Dear old dad may have to be a caretaker.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!