iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dried Lumber

Started by Ozark Cheapskate Logger, November 25, 2014, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozark Cheapskate Logger

Can anyone tell me the price difference between green and kiln dried?

Jemclimber

We need more info, like species, dimension and possibly geographic location.
lt15

drobertson

Howdy cheapskate,  all I can say at this point is "a lot"  but grade has everything to do with it, as does the wood types,, and don't forget any shipping that might be involved.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

5quarter

Quote from: drobertson on November 25, 2014, 06:33:24 PM
a lot...
David about summed it up.

Personally, I double the value after every step in the processing. Oak green off the saw might be $1.25, air dried $2.50 and kiln dried and dressed $$5.00, for example. Not hard and fast, just a rule of thumb.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mikeb1079

QuotePersonally, I double the value after every step in the processing

that's about what i've seen as well.  so to answer your question:  kiln dried is worth about 2x what green lumber is, if not more.

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

I add $.50/BF over air dried. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

WDH and others who kiln dry, how do you store your lumber after it comes out of the kiln prior to selling?  Do you flat stack it and keep it in a woodshed, wrap it in anything to inhibit it reabsorbing moisture? With the humidity we have in the south for most of the year, I would anticipate that dried lumber would regain some moisture over time if stored in a non-climate controlled building.
Caveman

Caveman

tule peak timber

Caveman, we store our KD woods in an insulated container, tight stacked. The container has a small electric heater that runs all the time , keeping ambient temp higher that the outdoors. Overflow of wood is kept in the shop in big piles where I trip over it prior to processing.Kiln discharge needs to be timed so customers pick up their woods , so you don't have to deal with storage. I would not have a woodworking business without a kiln and I really need two......Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

caveman

Rob, between your answer and Ianab's from a post on the lumber drying part of the forum, I have a better idea of how it should be stored after drying.  Thanks, and I did not intend to change the subject from the person who originally posted.
Kyle
Caveman

tule peak timber

Kyle , there is a member here named Dr Gene Wengert. He is also known as the "Wood Doctor". Seek out and read all of his post on this forum, and on WoodWeb. It will take some time -  but well wort the effort if you are serious about your trade. Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Lumber Grader

Google the Hardwood Market Report in Memphis, TN and give them a call. They will mail you one free sample copy and it gives the price per MBF on all domestic hardwood lumber both green and kiln dried. The prices are wholesale and by the semi-truckload or by rail-carload.  If you are selling small quantities, as most small mills do, then you sell retail, which would probably be at least double the prices in the HMR. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and God Bless!

Ozark Cheapskate Logger

Thanks for all the info.
My next question is where can you sell this product in Southern Missouri?

drobertson

Not sure where you are in southern Missouri, but can say with the exception of a few wood workers, who really have their contacts it will be tough,  going outside the area is where more sales will take place. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Kyle,

I keep my kiln dried stuff in a building with racks for the lumber.  I keep a dehumidifier running so that the lumber does not re-gain moisture. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

For a small to medium DH operation, I have calculated that to make a profit, you need no less than $250 per MBF increase after drying with a ten day cycle.  The amount would be less for a shorter cycle and more for a longer cycle.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

What about a small, small oprtation :D.

scsmith42

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on November 27, 2014, 09:37:56 PM
For a small to medium DH operation, I have calculated that to make a profit, you need no less than $250 per MBF increase after drying with a ten day cycle.  The amount would be less for a shorter cycle and more for a longer cycle.

Gene, your numbers make a good estimator.  An easier way to say this is figure $25.00 per day per 1K board ft.  This is what I charge for kiln drying for others, based upon them either bringing me stacked and stickered lumber or stickering here at my farm.  I usually charge an extra $100 - $150 if I have to provide the labor to stack and sticker.

Pine is charged at a higher rate due to the increased utility cost to set the pitch at the end of the load.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!