iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can Red Oak and Black Jack Oak cross pollenate? If so what is the result?

Started by drobertson, September 13, 2012, 03:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

I have an app on my phone called Tree Book that I got off the app store. Its not prefect but it pretty good. I havent looked for others so far as this one has been doing the job. There may be others out there that are better. If you find one let me know too. please.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Slab Slicer

Thanks WDH. I try to take good pics, but the camera is getting a bit outdated. Kinda like me.  :D

cfarm, I'll check into a similar book for PA. Like Bandit mentioned, an app would be good also. It's always good to have the paper, and electronic versions.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Bandmill Bandit

I just did a quick search for tree id apps and this site as several.

http://foresttalk.com/index.php/2011/06/09/free-leafsnap-tree-species-identification-for-iphone-ipad/

I have only tried the Treebook app but will be installing a couple of others to try. I will keep y'all posted on how i like them or dis like them. Sorry I missed the link earlier.

Leaf Snap is my next install.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Slab Slicer

I'd really appreciate the update Bandit. I'm looking for any good help I can find.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Ron Wenrich

If you're cutting woods trees in SE PA, you'll probably only find red oak, black oak, and pin oak in the red oak category.  You may find some scarlet, but they're pretty rare, and they usually grow on fairly dry sites.  Red oak has the best quality.  Black oak and pin oak are more susceptible to the bacteria.  When they do, there is generally shake present.  That shake will develop as the wood dries out.

In the white oak group, you'll have white oak and chestnut oak.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bandmill Bandit

The leaf snap app will be a good one once their data base is expanded to include trees from all over North America. Rigth now they have a pretty good start in the eastern states and I like how their App works. Just not enough of the north western tree species in there data bas yet. 

Slab Slicer

Well, I've seen the red oak, and pin oak for sure. A tree service friend of mine just hauled home a butt log from a pin oak that measures about 40 or so inches. If he wants me to mill it, well have to slice it in quarters to fit it on the mill. :D

Not sure about the black oak. White oak is abundant, but I haven't been able to get ahold of any just yet. The same with chestnut oak.

The Leaf snap app sound good. I'll be looking into that, but I'll be needing something in "hard copy" also. It's nice to have a back up. Like carrying extra parts for your mill.  :)
Chuck

Thank You Sponsors!