iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln Workshop

Started by VTwood, March 28, 2012, 10:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTwood

Virginia Tech will hold its annual solar kiln workshop on May 25, 2012.

This course is designed for the small scale woodworking facility or hobby woodworker. Information about how to design, modify, build and operate a solar based on the Virginia Tech design will be presented. Solar lumber drying provides a safe and economical way to dry lumber given limited knowledge and experience. For more information or to register:  http://sbio.vt.edu/workshops/solar-drying/

Den Socling

Welcome to the Forum VTwood rep. It would be great to have you hang around when time allows. And thanks for letting us know about the workshop.

zopi

yeah, stick around...I think almost everyone on this board has visited the VT woodscience site, and everyone on here has certainly benefitted from it! welcome!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Buck

Way COOL! Welcome VT Wood. Wish I was closer so I could attend.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

samandothers

Go Hokies!

Thanks for the information!  Been thinking about where and how to dry wood.  May have to make the trip from Charlotte.

Dave Tarheels

I signed up a month ago , first time I saw this thread .  6 hour ride for me will be heading up the night before . Know anybody that has enough room for my dad and I to crash for the night ? :D Save money on Hotel . :D
LT 20 Woodmizer

davidlarson

Sorry -- I plan to attend this workshop, but I have no special info about overnight accomadations.  The workshop, however, seems to me to be a great idea. 
David L.

samandothers

I hope to see you guys there.  There are some hotels in Blacksburg Va. where Tech is located and also Christiansburg Va.  which is about 20 minutes away.

geraldhale

I will be there myself and there are tons of hotels in that area.
lt40 super,Meadows edger,Weinig moulder,24" Rockwell planer, Salem mill,Cornell edger,Pop up end trim, Fulgum chipper, Baker resaw, hazledine pointer, Landen strapping machine, John deere 480B lift, Case W20 wheel loader.

Dave Tarheels

Sounds great , can't wait to meet you guys . Do any of you guys have a Solar Kiln or use one now ?  Have any of you ever been to one of these workshops .
LT 20 Woodmizer

jdonovan

I headed out for the workshop shortly and have a 4 hour drive to get there.
If anyone else is going to be staying over night in the area and wants to meet up for dinner drop me a PM.

samandothers

Dr Brian Bond did a great job with the Work Shop.  He discussed the Solar Kiln design and other topices related to drying wood.  I must admit I feel I need to take a remedial course or at least go back over the material..... several times.  Some of it soaked in and some only 'wetted' the appetite.

Had the opportunity to meet several other forum members.  Good to place a face with a name.  Just stopped by a Panera long enough to grab some coffee and catch up on some email. 

jdonovan

I'll echo what sam said... heck of a good course.

Took me from on the fence about building one to, a I'm going to do it. I also feel like I stand a good chance of getting a functional design, and good product from the very first load.

He also covered a bit on air drying, and how that can allow you to have less in kiln time but still get to the 6-8% goal.

I've returned home with a mission, and a plan. Now all I need is free time.

Dave Tarheels

That course was worth every penny , we covered a lot in a short amount of time . We were going to build a Solar Kiln but wanted to wait till we took this course . Anybody who is drying lumber or looking to get involved with drying lumber this course is must have .  I have to admit , I didn't   know what to expect taking this course , it surpassed all expectations and then some , even the lunch was great . lol  Going over everything today and having this information online to follow up with  is a tremendous help .  It was pretty cool meeting some of the Forum members today , hope to see everyone again soon  . I wish it was a 2 day class so we could have had more time to discuss other topics and strategies .
LT 20 Woodmizer

Thank You Sponsors!