iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone get one of these emails?

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 06, 2009, 01:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Recently I got this email:

QuoteHello good day,

I am rev Edward smith and i want to make and order of  lpe lumber  and i want to know if you have the following  specification in stock  for sell.
Ipe Lumber
Thickness:      4/4", 5/4", 6/4", 8/8"
other thicknesses also available
Width:     4" and wider
  Length:     3' and longer
and also if you don't have i will  like you to mail me with the type you have in stock for sell along with the sizes and their prices.Hope to hear form u soon.
Best Regard
rev Edward smith

Anyone ever get one of these?

What is Ipe lumber?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ARKANSAWYER

No I have not gotten the e-mail but Ipe lumber is from the jungles and is a very rot proof wood.  It makes great decks and outside furniture.  It is hard and heavy and I could sell them walnut to do the same thing.
ARKANSAWYER

Fla._Deadheader

Jim King should have Ipe. It's an extremely hard Tropical wood. Very dark brown color. It has other names, as well. Used mostlt as flooring. It's HEAVY, as are most Tropical hardwoods.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for your replies.

I now understand it.....

Jim Rogers

beenthere

With the wording and typos, I'd suggest keeping it at arms length... :) :)

Ipe is used a lot for outside wood decks too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JV

The wording bothered me too, so I Googled "Rev Edward Smith scam."  This could possibly be a scam from Nigeria.  Been a while since I've done it, but there is a way of back tracking the origin of the message with Properties.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

thedeeredude

That looks really really suspicious.  I just did a google search for rev edward smith scam and it looks even more suspicious.

Jim_Rogers

I probably shouldn't have replied asking him what Ipe wood was......

oh, well, now the spammers have my email address again......

WH_Conley

I did a search on scams. Seems to me if all those soldiers can get all those millions home  they wanting to send out of Iraq the economy would be in the black again. :D :D
Bill

Jim_Rogers

So, the other day before I understood that this could be a scam, I sent the honorable rev Ed Smith an email asking him what was Ipe lumber.

I did receive a reply this morning.

Just one word: "decking"........

So, do I reply again and tell him that this type of wood doesn't grow in my area jungle here in northeastern Massachusetts, USA or not?  ;D

stumpy

I used to enjoy responding to these scammers, just to let them know I'm onto them.  Now I just delete the emails.  Ya just never know what they can do with your info if you respond.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

sgschwend

You would think that with all our technology somebody could track these folks, and then shut them down.

It is not only that they are criminals but the systems we all use loose capacity due to this type of email traffic.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!