iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Flooring?

Started by redprospector, December 15, 2015, 07:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Do any of you guy's have any experience with wide plank Pine flooring?
I cleaned up an area that had been burned in a forest fire, and am salvaging what lumber I can from it. It's Western White Pine, or what we call Sugar Pine locally. It's all heartwood, and I'm getting some real nice 1x10's and 1x12's out of it. Having been through a fire, it's pretty hard as far as Pine goes, but I have my doubts as to how well it would hold up as a floor.
Any input would be appreciated.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

dustyhat

My church has pine flooring and its seen alot of traffic since it was built , back in the 30s and  still looks good. i personally would be concerned with the wide boards . but i really know nothing about flooring. hope that helped you a little bit.

dustyhat

the only place it looks bothered is where the piano was moved around, was very heavy and had small wheels, so you can imagine.

beenthere

Cowboys spurs and high stiletto heals are rough on 'em but just tell 'em to remove 'em at the door   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Should be fine if you don't mind dents. I'd plan on refinishing often. Both western white pine and sugar pine are soft pines.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

I didn't look at your location at first. I'd think your most common pine up there would be ponderosa pine. Harder than wwp or sp but still a bit soft for my taste for flooring.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

redprospector

Thanks for the reply's,
I didn't call the species right, I'm not a forester, just an old faller. I got lazy and just called it what we call it locally. It's actually not "Western White Pine", and it's sure not true "Sugar Pine", it's proper name in English is Southwestern White Pine (I have no idea what it's scientific name is).

Quote from: dustyhat on December 15, 2015, 08:16:46 PM
My church has pine flooring and its seen alot of traffic since it was built , back in the 30s and  still looks good. i personally would be concerned with the wide boards . but i really know nothing about flooring. hope that helped you a little bit.
Yeah, the wide kinda bothers me too.

Quote from: beenthere on December 15, 2015, 08:37:53 PM
Cowboys spurs and high stiletto heals are rough on 'em but just tell 'em to remove 'em at the door   ;D
My wife don't allow neither one of them, so that shouldn't be a problem.  ;)

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 15, 2015, 09:12:13 PM
Should be fine if you don't mind dents. I'd plan on refinishing often. Both western white pine and sugar pine are soft pines.
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 15, 2015, 09:14:15 PM
I didn't look at your location at first. I'd think your most common pine up there would be ponderosa pine. Harder than wwp or sp but still a bit soft for my taste for flooring.
As I said earlier, I got lazy and didn't call it by the proper name. Sorry, but you knew that already, I'm sure. These particular logs were burnt in 2000 and stood, or laid suspended for 15 years. Every other species was rotten, and deteriorated, but not the hearts of these.
You're right, Southwestern White Pine is a soft wood, even among Pines. I think you're right again that Ponderosa would probably be a better choice for a floor. I am just trying to figure out what to do with this stuff. I know I'll be building kitchen cabinets out of some of it.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

yukon cornelius

I used pine car siding in my first house. I don't know which kind of pine but it held up over 10 years with little wear.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

redprospector

Quote from: yukon cornelius on December 15, 2015, 11:56:41 PM
I used pine car siding in my first house. I don't know which kind of pine but it held up over 10 years with little wear.
Ok, as bad as I hate to, I'm going to expose my ignorance.  :o
What is "pine car siding"?

beenthere

Car siding is a moulding pattern that used to be traditionally used in RR cars.
But it is now one of several standard patterns with specific size details for face groove and edge-matching tongue & groove specs, referred to as Pattern 116.
Here is a link to a mfg and seller of different patterns, and you can see car siding pattern #116 in the list.
http://www.davis-hawn.com/millwork/historical-materials/

Here is a pic of the car siding and the size specs that go with Pattern 116.

Also, here is a video that should help explain it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ3UshNZ_vM

If Yukon used this for flooring, maybe he installed it with the backside facing up. ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cbla

I put pine flooring down in the first house I owned. I had a dog then and she left the floor a mess from her nails. I believe it was Eastern White Pine.

thecfarm

Eastern whitepine.  :o   That is soft,soft,soft. As you found out. Not a good choice in floor material.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lud

My inside wall of the outside porch is car siding over the old redwood.  Put it up 28 years ago.  Took it down the last few weeks, marking top, orientation and numbering each.  The injectable foam insulation guys are coming in a week to fill my walls up to R21.   Then I'll put the car siding back up. It's held up fine.

These 150 year old farm houses are a little air leaky.  Been here 57 years already but want the next 57 to be a little more comfortable.  I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me paint each board a different color to display the entire color spectrum like a rainbow.  It'd be an homage to Dolly Parton, ...y'know, ... a Porch of Many Colors! ;D ;D ;D 8)

She said leave it white.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

ellmoe

Quote from: Lud on December 16, 2015, 06:49:40 AM
.  I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me paint each board a different color to display the entire color spectrum like a rainbow.  It'd be an homage to Dolly Parton, ...y'know, ... a Porch of Many Colors! ;D ;D ;D 8)

She said leave it white.

:D  Sounds like my wife. She doesn't like my adventuresome ideas, either!  ;)
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Magicman

The flooring in the home where I grew up had Pine (SYP) flooring, because that is what we had.  I put Pine flooring in the Cabin Addition....because that is what I had.  Of course I also used it on the walls.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Outer Rondacker

A friend of mine put 4/4x8" down over his ply in his house. Two dogs four kids. If I recall it was done four years ago and I still love it every time I stop in to see him. It is holding up fine. EWP air dry for a year before install. Simple ship lap and let the dirt fill in the cracks. Never got around to putting a finish on it. Next time I am over I will snap a pic for you.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Magicman on December 16, 2015, 07:57:48 AM
The flooring in the home where I grew up had Pine (SYP) flooring, because that is what we had.  I put Pine flooring in the Cabin Addition....because that is what I had.  Of course I also used it on the walls.   ;D

For anybody who doesn't know already, the 3 needled southern hard pines are much harder than the 5 needle soft pines and serve much better as flooring.  :)

cbla

lol thecfarm! yes I found out for sure. at the time it was a good price and I was lacking greenbacks :D

redprospector

Quote from: beenthere on December 16, 2015, 01:07:22 AM
Car siding is a moulding pattern that used to be traditionally used in RR cars.
But it is now one of several standard patterns with specific size details for face groove and edge-matching tongue & groove specs, referred to as Pattern 116.
Here is a link to a mfg and seller of different patterns, and you can see car siding pattern #116 in the list.
http://www.davis-hawn.com/millwork/historical-materials/

Here is a pic of the car siding and the size specs that go with Pattern 116.

Also, here is a video that should help explain it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ3UshNZ_vM

If Yukon used this for flooring, maybe he installed it with the backside facing up. ??
Thank you beenthere, my ignorance is cured (at least on this particular subject  :D). I've seen it before, just didn't know what it was called. Now I do.  ;D

redprospector

That's kinda where I was...It's what I have, and it looks pretty nice. The original floors are 3" wide Douglas Fir T&G. They are over 100 years old, and have held up pretty well. I may go back with Douglas Fir, because that's what I've got too.  ;)

Quote from: cbla on December 16, 2015, 05:45:50 AM
I put pine flooring down in the first house I owned. I had a dog then and she left the floor a mess from her nails. I believe it was Eastern White Pine.
Yeah, that's where I think I would be heading if I did this. Dog nails can make a mess out of the best flooring from what I've seen. I think Southwestern White Pine is probably about as soft as Eastern White Pine.

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 16, 2015, 10:20:18 AM

For anybody who doesn't know already, the 3 needled southern hard pines are much harder than the 5 needle soft pines and serve much better as flooring.  :)
Thanks, I think I'll abandon the idea of using this stuff on the floor. I may use some Ponderosa, but probably I'll go back with Douglas Fir in narrower pieces than I was thinking in Pine. Thanks for your input. Probably saved me a lot of aggravation.

Thank You Sponsors!