iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to timber seeking advice for Texas Property

Started by kjsaucedo, December 05, 2018, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjsaucedo

Hello, My name is Kevin and i own 15 acres in Grimes county Texas, Im unsure of what the steps are to have my timber harvested, or if there is someone that could help a newby. I am hesitant about dealing directly with a logging company as i dont really know what im doing and dont want to be taken advantage of. Im afraid my property may be too small to make it worthwhile to hire a forester, and have been doing the research that i can over the internet. 
  The other problem i have is i live in Michigan atm and cant monitor the process, nor do i have anyone trustworthy enough to do it by proxy. Any advice towards my issue would be greatly appreciated.
  Thank you in advance, Kevin.

Texas Ranger

Very difficult to manage land at a distance.  I would start by having the Texas Forest Service write a plan for the property, 15 acres would not be interesting to many consultants, but there is some one out there to help you.  After you get a plan you need to see about getting an agricultural exemption for ad valorum taxes.  You will probably have to be there to get an exemption, so if that all comes to pass plan on a trip..

And no, I cannot help you, but a Gent in Conroe may be able, his name is Charles Westmoreland, a competent and able consultant.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

Oh, and welcome to the forum, pull up a stump and set a spell.

kjsaucedo

Thank you, i will definitely give him a call and see if he can help.
Would you have his contact info by chance or can i find him on the T A&M Forestry site?

Texas Ranger

You can find him on the TFS site if you are patient, I have messaged you his information.

timberking

Out of our area but follow up with TFS.  Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!