iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My mill is sick

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 24, 2019, 09:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Glad it's only a bruise. If it came apart it will go back together. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Howard since yours is a single mast that I have never actually seen, I am sure that it is much different from the LT40.  I just figured that you would remove the saw head weight and have easy access to the cam followers.  Obviously I was wrong.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

That is not to say I removed it the correct way either but it was/is the only way I saw/see to do it. The scary part now is finally realizing that one bracket is all that holding the entire head on the rails. I guess during transport would be the most dangerous time for it to come loose and at that point it would be on its travel pin with the safety chain holding it down. A simple hole in the bracket above the bearing shaft would allow you to insert the hex wrench from above to lock the shaft so you could unscrew the nut below but I am not an engineer smart enough to figure something like that out (unless I drill one next time).

I did have the head resting on the post as WM suggested and it did keep the weight off the bearing so it was free to move. I guess they assumed I would use a shorter post and I will next time.

We talked way more about how to get the upper bearings off as you can't access the nut with a wrench. Turns out you don't need to - you just unscrew with a hex wrench and the nut locks against the side of the metal tube it is in.

BTW - Stephen1, are you talking about the mill or my arm? :D

Southside - I think it will. Can't tell what parts may be damaged till I can get it off the ground. I should have got the chicken!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gdaddy01

I hope you are all right , and get your mill back together without any other problems .

WV Sawmiller

Thanks. I hope so too. I know I need a new air filter cover on my Kholer 25 engine as the corner of the one I have is broken. The handle on the lube tank broke. I may be able to superglue it back and if not replacing the whole valve will not be a big issue. I don't know what laying on it's side is doing to the oil in the engine but I bet it is not good for it. I know the aluminum guard that runs in front of the blade and rollers snapped out and is likely bent but that should be an easy fix.

I had the power feed assembly and the chain off as part of my troubleshooting and that may have saved me some damage to it. I got the fuel and lube tanks off so the fuel would not run out and the connection to the tank looked okay. I am sure I will have to realign the blade guide rollers and blade tilt and such. Time will tell. If I can't fix it here I may get to finally visit the famous town of Shade Gap PA as the NC shop, while closer and where I bought it, is moving locations and out of pocket for such work for a while.

I will let you know what I find and what I learn.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

I'm glad you survived the crash.  That could have been bad.  I never replaced my cam followers, I had the WM guy do it on his service loop.  I'm glad I didn't try, although he did it pretty fast with a piece of wood and a crowbar.  

Hope you get it back together with no more issues. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

MartyParsons

WOW!
Glad you are ok!!
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WV Sawmiller

MP,

Thanks. My son's best friend came up with his big Kubota tractor and FEL and we got my one flea market choker around the mast and got it picked up and walked it back into place and bolted back together. The up and down functions seem to work fine, the breakers did not trip which surprised me after that kind of jolt. The hydraulics don't work but I think that is just a matter of adjusting the contact on the power strip so that should not be a major issue.

This afternoon I will be putting the chain and power fed units on and checking all the adjustments. I have not tried to crank it and want to let the motor sit upright a while first. I don't see any obvious, major damage yet.

It rolls liked on greased ice so it was apparently just the bottom cam follower causing the binding issues that started this whole goatrope. The one I took off is clear binding when you try to turn it. Does WM want it back to check or anything? It failed at 567 hours.

When you talk to the WM engineers you might suggest they include a lifting eye on the mast or wherever appropriate to lift and/or hold the head unit in place if needed. That would have real handy this morning.

If I run into major obstacles I may be heading your way. Take care.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Latest update is Mildred is breathing on her own. Not sure if she will need physical therapy yet. After several starts and stops I finally got everything back together and she runs. The power feed was the most awkward piece to reassemble hook to the chain (It helps if you run the chain over the top before connecting it to the unit but if you don't you get more practice in how to take everything apart and reassemble it.) Once assembled it is heavy and hard to hold in place while you put the bolts back through the frame and unit. A handy plastic 5 gallon bucket helped immensely. 

The power feed unit on the bottom was out of place so I had to loosen the bolts to depress the springs to get the piece into place on the bottom of the rail. I may have to adjust these but right now the hydraulics work.

Once I had it all connected I put the key in and turned the switch and she took off on her own - the forward feed knob was down but at least she moves and she moves freely now so I am sure it was the one cam follower on the bottom.

As mentioned the plastic cover over the air fiter is cracked and I will replace it.

This was the culprit. Sorry for the sun but look above the nut and you see the black bearing. I misspoke when I talked about a bracket above, it is the rail. You have to stick a 5/16" hex key in to end of the shaft to turn that nut and no way to access it as it sits.

You can see the nut here and the bracket you have to rotate to make room for the top. Unfortunately this is the bracket that holds the entire head to the bottom rail. Once removed only gravity is holding it in place.

Aluminum guard rail at the front of the head popped loose from the white pastic fitting. Easy fix - loosen the bolt, slide it back in and replace the bolt and it is fixed.

The safety pin for the debarker was in place but now moved to upper left. See where fall bent the brackets where the holes allign. Again an easy fix with a heavy set of pliers.

When done I checked the oil then nervously tried to crank the mill. She fired right up! I did not run it long and only the fuel left in the system but all looks good so far. I will check alignment and maybe saw a log tomorrow if I don't find anything else.

I did not take a picture of the mill with the dead on the ground. I also don't take pictures at funerals. Some things you just don't want to remember.
Howard Green

Magicman

So the next step after everything is good to go is to research and find out the recommended/correct way to replace the top cam followers.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Howard, I am glad that you have it back together and that you did not get hurt any worse than you did.  That is frustrating when one tries to take impeccable care of something and ends up damaging it while doing maintenance and/or repairs.  You will have it cutting accurately again soon.  
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on April 30, 2019, 05:27:08 PM
So the next step after everything is good to go is to research and find out the recommended/correct way to replace the top cam followers.  ;D
Lynn,

I may be overconfident but it looks like the top rollers are very easy to replace. Just lower the head on to a support enough to take the weight/tension off them, take a 5/16" hex wrench in a socket and loosen then replace and tighten. The nut is locked inside a metal tube and can't turn so turning the shaft with the hex key loosens the fitting. With two of them there is no way for the head to come loose unless you removed both at the same time and no need to do that. I will not replace them at this time. I don't think they get near the wear because there are two and the head rolls on the 2" wheels anyway. Same fitting upper and lower and the one beside the sprocket keeping the chain from slipping out so good to have spares for future needs.
Howard Green

richhiway

Glad it all worked out. If I lived nearby I would have came and gave you a hand. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  OK, just thinking about the future.  Good thing is that we all can share and learn from each other's woes.  :P

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, if you have an LT35 or any similar single mast system and loosen the bottom bracket to replace any parts or make adjustments or such be dang sure the head is supported 6 ways to Sunday first.

I am impressed the head unit held up as well as it did under these circumstances but I would not want to bet it would do so again. Nor would I want to be at risk or have anyone else involved in such a dangerous situation. Those head units are very heavy and they hurt when they bounce off of you.

I was afraid my lumber sawing days were over and I was going to have to look for a new career like selling lady's shoes or such. :(
Howard Green

millwright

Glad it's working again, is there only 1 bearing on bottom?

AK Newbie

Happy to hear your about to be back milling and not "selling ladies shoes"   ;D 8)
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

WV Sawmiller

MW,

It seems to be tracking fine now. Yes, only one bearing on the bottom. Remember the weight is mostly on the top 2 rollers and they also have 2 of these cam followers keeping it from shifting side to side. The only time there is tension on this one is if it tries to shift to the side or too much forward or back (I think).

First thing this morning I bought a new faucet to go in the lube tank lid as the fall snapped the plastic handle off my old one. Readily available and just under $8. I told my wife my plans for the day then she corrected them for me and we went to town instead so I went by the local Kohler dealer and ordered a replacement air filter cover (About $31) and I got a new replacement air filter and will change that in case any oil leaked into it while it was on it's side overnight (About $21 or so for that). Hopefully tomorrow if weather and wife permit I will get out and check the alignment and saw a log or two.

AK Newbie,

Thanks. Yeah selling women's shoes was not my long term career goal either. Where is Eagle River? My BIL lives in Anchorage but works with the FAA and does site visits to ever place up there with an airport with a beacon or lights I think. His youngest daughter lives up next to Sarah Palin :D and his SIL works on the slope.
Howard Green

SawyerTed

Howard I've arrived late to this thread, I'm glad you've got it back together.  It could have been so much worse but I don't have to tell you that.  Hope tomorrow's alignment goes well.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

You know the selling womans shoes worked well for Ted Bundy in Married With Children.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Except Ted Bundy was a serial killer, Al was the Married with Children character....... :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

Sorry I never got into that series and did not know it was patterned after a serial killer driven crazy selling women's shoes.

All,

I got out and replaced the air filter - it looked like it needed it with oil stains and such on it. I checked the blade guide tilt and alignment and got it within 1/32" which is supposed to be within tolerance (I think I read that somewhere or dreamed it in one of my recent nightmares which have been legion) and decided to check how it saws.

I loaded this 11' something small RO log (I did not do the original bucking thank you very much!) and bucked it to 8'6".

You can see the entire front of the head here. Slightly bent aluminum guard but those get bent often anyway (What do you mean you never bent one? I bet you never rolled a log across the mill either with the side supports down. Just wait!)

I sawed the small log into 5-1"X 6" and one 1"X 4" and they turned out very pretty at exactly 1-1/16" thickness throughout using 1-3/16" drops on my SimpleSet.

I took the 30" cutoff and clamped it to make 10/4 square bench legs for my Lictenberg LE 8/4 pieces I have ready to use. If I'd been smarter I would have measured the rails before bucking the log as 1" more and it would have fit across the rails much better. Only had about 1/2" play on each side and the rounded surface made it a bear to stay put. I could just as easily cut and used 8'4" or 8'5" boards. Anyway I got 11 legs so I guess I will either make 2 benches and a 3 legged stool (I may try that) or cut some more legs.

The mill sawed perfect except for a couple of dead spots on the hydraulic power feed rail. I could just jiggle the power cord and get power but I will play with that some more. On mistake was I hit a live edge with an allen wrench and welded partially shut the opening in one of the bolts. Next time I send in blades for resharp I may reorder another one and replace it or check with my local hardware store who likely has them too.

A whopping 37 bf out of that log but my confidence level is much better than 2 days ago when it was laying on the ground. I used the threatening weather as an excuse to pack up then instead of more sawing I weedate a marshy spot and a couple of hillsides the last hour or so of the say.
Howard Green

YellowHammer

I'm glad its back making wood.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Me too. I had serious doubts there when that whole head first hit the ground and wanted to rush it to the nearest dealer and see if it could be salvaged. Its a lot tougher machine than I ever imagined - although I don't recommend anyone else try the same thing.

One of my best friends down in N. Fla is retiring in 12 days after 38 years as a banker. He is a VP of our local bank down there just across the line in Ala. I told him come up and stack lumber all summer and learn to run it and we will make her into a snowbird mill and I'll saw lumber from March to November up here and he can saw with her down there from November through February while I am busy hunting and our weather is too bad to saw a lot of the time anyway. Maybe I should let him buy in a a junior partner for about $50K. 
Howard Green

samandothers

Howard,
Just saw this, wow quiet the experience!  Glad you were not injured worse in the fall.  Glad to know you have all this experience with the bearing replacement.  I'll know who to call when needed!  

Glad all is working fine so far.  Good luck with getting the funds from the banker friend!  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!