iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identify this oak

Started by poke2323, February 11, 2015, 06:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poke2323

Hi,
I was wondering if someone can help me identify this oak tree as I would like to get an advanced one for my back yard.

The oak is growing at my parents place. Dad planted it 30 years ago and thinks it could be a Red or Scarlet oak however the bark does not match what I have seen online. The bark is what I like about this oak. He collects oaks and has about 38 different types on this property so it is a little hard to keep track of them all. The tree is about 10 – 15m high/30+ feet. It has about a two foot wide trunk and the large leaf is about 8 inches/ 20 centimetres long. The dollar coin is about the same size as a US quarter. The leaf is dark green when compared to a pin oak. The soil is about 1 foot deep, good quality slightly acidic, then just clay.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to spend 100's on the wrong tree.

Thanks,

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, poke2323.

I am not a tree identity person by any means, but for sure that one is of the Red Oak family.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

I'd also like to say welcome, there's a lot of people here that I won't question and Magicman would be right at the top of the list  ;).

caveman

Since you are in Australia, I am not sure what oak you have but it looks a lot like a Shumard Oak (Quercus shumardii) to me.
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

If it is an oak species native to North America, it would most likely be northern red oak as the sinuses do not penetrate more than halfway to the mid-rib.  Down here, shumard oak has sinuses that do penetrate more than halfway to the midrib.  However, since the tree is planted on another continent from its native range, all bets are off. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

That's why I love this place!  I have never seen or heard of a Shumard Oak, until today.  Those leaves in you pic don't look exactly like the pics I saw on the internet, IMO.  Doesn't matter, 'cause I learned something new anyway.  Please tell us when you get a positive ID.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

mesquite buckeye

Whichever one it turns out to be, it sure likes its new home. It is growing like a rocket. just look at how fast those pruning cuts have covered and how tight and smooth that bark is stretched. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't putting on 1/2 to one inch per year of trunk diameter. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

poke2323

Thanks for all the responses,

I think I maybe a northern red oak (Quercus rubra), best match so far. I like the look of the Shumard Oak (Quercus shumardii) leaf, however I do think the 'sinuses' (New term I learnt, Thanks) are very different on the leafs that I collected.
My Father's favourite oaks are from north America that's why I chose this forum, He is rather sure that it is a red oak, just not curtain of the exact type.

Could someone please explain why the bark would be so smooth on this tree compared to most of the other photos of the bark that I have seen on northern red oaks online, if that is what it is?

Thanks again,

beenthere

Cause the bark is really down under....  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wdmn

The bark changes with age; on northern red oak it is smooth when young.

WDH

Fastest growing trees tend to have smoother bark than slower growing ones of the same species. 

BTW, everyone knows northern red oak, most often referred to as "red oak" by the northern living, frozen, glaciated types on this Forum. 

In the deep South (US), shumard oak is one of the finest bottomland red oaks.  This one is a State Champion for Georgia.  150' tall. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Looks like a lightning rod to me.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

This was the prior state champion.  It was a lightning rod. 

Magicman

It happens all too often to our tallest and nicest trees.

Two 36"+ Cherrybark Oaks nailed by the same lightning strike, or at least during the same storm.

WDH

Those cherrybarks are very nice.  Cherrybark and shumard are the two best bottomland red oaks. 

wdmn

I'm not so frozen that I can't feel envy; those are some impressive oaks.

"Beware the oak, it draws the stroke".

red oaks lumber

once again i thought you guys were talking about me :D :D i have never been hit by lightning, my pith is off center and i'm getting some spungy spots usually associated with age 8)
sure looks like us northern red oaks tree to me :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

LeeB

The tree in the op looks like the red oaks we had when I lived in central Texas that we called Spanish Oak. I don't know the true name for them. Same bark. Leaves may be a little different.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

coxy

Quote from: WDH on February 12, 2015, 08:29:35 PM
Fastest growing trees tend to have smoother bark than slower growing ones of the same species. 

BTW, everyone knows northern red oak, most often referred to as "red oak" by the northern living, frozen, glaciated types on this Forum. 

In the deep South (US), shumard oak is one of the finest bottomland red oaks.  This one is a State Champion for Georgia.  150' tall. 

can it be cut or does it get to live because its a state champion

WDH

It is in a bottomland on a State Wildlife Management Area.  It could be cut if that area gets harvested.  Being the State Champion does not afford it any protection, although it would be a shame to cut it. 

wdmn

It is a shame. Another example of how something with communal value is transformed into value for only a few.

mesquite buckeye

All things that live die. The biggest and most spectacular are generally closest to that fate.

New ones will grow.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Very true.

My Champion tree is dying.  It's steadily dropping limbs and is about ¾+ gone.  This picture was taken during a Chickin Crispin a couple of years ago.

This one will become my Champion tree.  It makes fishpharmer and I look like dwarfs.

beenthere

QuoteIt makes fishpharmer and I look like dwarfs.

The pic of the texas size steak on the BBQ grill comes to mind.... 

That crispin was the one with the hot romance going on... had us all on edge.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

QuoteThat crispin was the one with the hot romance going on... had us all on edge.   ;D
Yup, maybe I should have used a different picture.  :-\

Here it was when the entire crown was still alive.  This was taken early in the Spring of 2011, when it was just beginning to leaf out.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!