iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Locust or Maple?

Started by ToddsPoint, March 04, 2018, 04:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToddsPoint

I visited the local log dump and saw this log.  The bark looks like honey locust but I could not find a single thorn anywhere on the log or limbs/branches.  Could this be hard maple?  Gary

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

logbyr

brianJ

This tree is honey locust in my opinion.   Honey locust as a landscape tree has the advantage of small leaves that do not need to be raked in the fall.   The most popular cultivars have no or few and small thorns.

WDH

It is not black locust, which only has one or two sapwood rings.  This log has many sapwood rings. 

Elm and honeylocust are ring porous.  Maple is diffuse porous.  Take a razor knife and make a little clean slice of the end grain to see the pore structure.  If you are not sure what to look for, post a close up pic here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

enigmaT120

No idea on the tree species, but what is a log dump?
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

square1

Osage Orange?  Cut into it, if its bright yellow and turn brown over ~24 hours.

ToddsPoint

Quote from: enigmaT120 on March 05, 2018, 04:33:59 PM
No idea on the tree species, but what is a log dump?
Around here, many of the small town have log dumps.  Places where you can get rid of yard waste, leaves to logs.  Residents can dump logs for free.  At the biggest one they make pro arborists pay $300 a yr. to dump.  Anyone can come in and take logs or cut firewood.  Logs are most all yard trees and can have nails.  Here's a couple pics of one of the dumps.  Also a pic of some of the walnut gunstock blanks I made from the dump wood.  Gary

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

gspren

I am no where near as knowledgeable as most of these guys but that bark looks like what we call swamp willow which is nearly worthless.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

bigD

I'm pretty sure that is Honey Locust a lot of bigger trees won't have thorns (or very few ) on the trunk.  Here are a couple things i made out of honey locust.

Crusarius

thats is some beautiful wood.

Thank You Sponsors!