iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New and unknown plant to me from da U.P. **SOLVED**

Started by Jeff, July 27, 2008, 10:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Anyone have a clue what this might be? I have found it twice growing on the side of rocky trails where there is plenty of sun. It was blooming in mid July. The blooms are almost broccoli like.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

It looks sorta like what we call a beautyberry but I didn't think they grow that far north, and the leafs all wrong.
Glad to help  ;D

Tom

Our American Beauty Berry has a woody stem and forms a large shrub.  Those stems look almost succulent.

Here is the link to a solved puzzle from 2001.

Jeff

I beleive this to be a wild flower. Its not woody at all.

Better view of stem and a leaf

Better view of the flower

Jeff

I've finally found it. It isnt even in my Audubon field guide.   Its in the goosefoot  family and its called "Strawberry Blite"  Chenopodium capitatum

Tom

You can Eat it too!! 8)

Edible Uses
Colouring; Fruit; Leaves; Seed.
Leaves - raw or cooked[27, 106]. Used like spinach[2], they are a good source of vitamins C and A[257]. The young leaves are best[85, 172, 183]. Poor quality[74]. The raw leaves have been used in salad mixtures[257], but should only be eaten in small quantities, see the notes above on toxicity.

Fruit - raw or cooked[2, 27, 172]. An insipid but sweet flavour[85], they can be added to salads[183]. The fruit is about 12mm in diameter[200].

A red food colouring can be obtained from the fruit[74, 99, 172, 183].

Seed - cooked. It can be ground into a meal and mixed with cereal flours in making bread etc[161, 172]. The seed is small and fiddly, it should be soaked in water overnight and thoroughly rinsed before it is used in order to remove any saponins.

Jeff

Apparently what we are looking at is not the flower but the fruit.  :)

Dodgy Loner

Well, I'm glad someone figured it out, even if ya had ta do da work yerself ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Not in my books either. Never seen anything like it before. The leaves are kinda goose foot shape I guess.  :)

Is it handy to a salt marsh? Sometimes some different plants grow in those places.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!