iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree identifying guide

Started by WoodBros, December 01, 2013, 10:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBros

I am new to this forum and am the owner of a small firewood company. I am looking for some type of book/reference to aid me in identifying the trees and wood I am selling.
-Wood Brothers

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I think you have come to the right place for some help, and would ask if you are wanting to identify the wood species in the standing tree?
or in the log?
Or when splitting open the block after the bark is no longer tight?

Or all of the above?

Fill in your bio as your location at least in general will help to give you some guidance.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WoodBros

Ya I am interested in being able to identify wood in all forms, i have some general knowledge but am still very green myself, anything would be a big help!
-Wood Brothers

RCBS

Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

celliott

The dendrology at Virginia Tech site factsheets are an excellent online source of information as well.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/factsheets.cfm
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

WoodBros

In regards to the Audubon book, is the eastern edition suitable for nebraska? I am assuming it is refering to east being east of the rockies???
-Wood Brothers

thecfarm

I have no idea about your state,but the state of Maine Foresty Dept puts out a very nice book,just for the state of Maine.It has all the trees on my land.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

The good news is that the number of tree species in Nebraska is a short one unless you add in introduced yard trees. Learn those and you are set.

And welcome. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Sprucegum

Virginia Tech has a mobile app that identifies trees by leaf, bark, shape, etc and it covers all of North America. I can't find the link right now but I got it here on the FF.

Edit: search for "Tree ID Mobile App" in the search box above and it should pop up. I would just do a link to it if I knew how  :-[

Thank You Sponsors!