iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identifying a tree

Started by BradWood, May 10, 2017, 08:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradWood

I am having trouble identifying a tree in my neighborhood. I am new to this. I am a cub scout den leader and want to teach my scouts how to identify trees. A skill I obviously am trying to learn myself... Any help is greatly appreciated. I live about 30 min north of Cincinnati Ohio.

fixed image tags and thumbnail links, SwampDonkey

WDH

Your tree is an ash.  Genus Fraxinus

Could be white ash or green ash.  They can be distinguished apart by the buds and leaf scar and the fruit which is a single winged samara.  The difference between the two is very minor, so suffice it to say they you have an ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BradWood

Thank you very much.  I thought it might be, I am amazed though that the Emerald Ash Bore didn't get it yet.. When I go hiking 3 miles from here, all the ash trees are ate up with the holes from the bug.  So, all the ash I see have those D shaped holes and beneath the bark is the pattern from the bugs.. 

sandhills

Welcome to the forum BradWood, and thanks for helping out the young ones.  Even an old guy like me learns a lot here so hang around you'll be amazed at you can find out.

BradWood

Glad I found the site.  The kids are great, the parents can be a challenge, I have a small Den, next year will have more boys though.  They teach me things also, it's great seeing the world through their eyes, it really is. 
I am a hobbyist woodworker and I have felt like an idiot for not being able to identify trees that I see.  So, hopefully I'll learn how to identify the common trees in my area at a glance.  Thanks for the warm welcome.

bluthum

Green ash leaf stems are square, you can feel it when you roll it with your fingers. White ash stems are not.

[I didn't look at your pics.]

TKehl

Good for you.  I volunteer with 4H and its a lot of work and a blessing.  Not only are you a mentor, but I get asked a lot of questions they don't want to ask their parents.  You may never hear from some of them again, but the kids will remember you and what you did for them a LONG time.

May be fun to take a booklet on a hike and let them ID what they can.

Missouri has this:
https://wufs.wustl.edu/Pathfinder/path201/notes/50_common_trees_of_missouri.pdf

Couldn't find one that was Ohio specific, but there will be a lot of overlap from the MO booklet.

There is also this:
http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/treeid

And feel free to come back here with more ???s.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

derhntr

Pignut Hickory? Looks a lot like Ash. Ours here seem to survive among the Ash that the EAB kill.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

WDH

Hickories are alternate branched.  Ash are opposite branched.  One must look at the branches.

And the buds, and the leaves, and the bark  :) :) :) :) :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coxy

Quote from: derhntr on May 12, 2017, 12:56:02 PM
Pignut Hickory? Looks a lot like Ash. Ours here seem to survive among the Ash that the EAB kill.
:D got a chuckle out of that I remember when I was 17 and my dad sent me to look at a job and tell him what was on there I looked at it told him it was loaded with big ash that I couldn't reach around so good thing he went and looked at it before giving a price as we where walking around he said where is all the ash you seen I looked at him and are you blind look at it all he looked at me said that pignut hickory and with a not so nice few words  :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!