iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sad News Regarding Brother Noble

Started by NoblesSon, September 29, 2011, 08:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

whitepe

This is not the kind of news one wants to get.  Jeff sent me an email earlier today.  This is now the second time (the first being Mark Mathys) that I am aware of that we have lost a pillar of The Forestry Forum.  If my memory is any good the picture of Noble that Jeff posted is one that I took at Rick Schmalzried's place many years ago north of Peoria. Noble and his wife Nancy would come to Pekin so Nancy could visit her Mother.  So Noble would take the opportunity to come and visit me at my home just outside Peoria or I would drive to Pekin and hook up at a restaurant to chat.  Becky, Jeremiah and I drove down to Noble's Farm in Ozark County MO. The spring of 2003.  That's when I brought back some cedar logs that I bought from him and brought back the tree stump that the beavers had eaten and Noble cut down to have me take to Jeff in Michigan later that summer in July.    One thing that I am sure most of you know about Noble was that his first love was for the Good Lord.  We stayed at Zanoni Mill Bed and Breakfast and the Morrison's (owners)  had arranged for Bryant River Gospel Group (the group that Noble sang with) to have an evening session of singing in the basement.  It was fun to see them and hear them play and sing.  Becky sang along with nearly all of their songs. Since I can't sing for hoot,  I just watched listened and enjoyed.   I also feel a secondary kinship to Noble's father,  Noble Barker Senior cause both of us are Caterpillar retirees.  So that officially means that some of Noble's blood is yellow because Caterpillar is a family also.   Over the many years, I thought of Noble often and I always felt that he had a brotherly love for mankind second to none.  Okay.. I have to stop now cause the tears are welling up in my eyes.  But before I do, I want to say that over the next few days I am going to make an Album in Facebook of many of the nearly 200 photos I took the spring of 2003 at Noble's place.   When I have finished,  I will make the album public and I will post the link to the album back here.  It will take a while cause I have terribly slow internet access speed.    I know Noble is with God now.    We will miss him
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Tom_Averwater

Sad news ,indeed . I always enjoyed his posts .Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

whitepe

Okay.... here's the start of the Facebook Album dedicated to Brother Noble.  Please let me know if it can't be seen.. I think I published as a public album.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.229833430408342.61317.100001450602080&l=d09682c8ec&type=1

isawlogs

I went  and looked ,  thanks for sharing  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

breederman

Together we got this !

Reddog

Sad news.

Quote from: isawlogs on September 30, 2011, 10:10:30 PM
I went  and looked ,  thanks for sharing  :)

Same here.
Thank you for sharing.

whitepe

the album is growing... up to 44 pictures as of 10:54 PM EST Sept 30th

scsmith42

Like others, I was stunned with I opened up the FF this morning and saw his photo at the top.  The first thought through my head was "oh no..."

We have many great people on this forum, and Brother Noble was one of the greatest of the greats.  We are all much poorer for his loss, yet at the same time much richer for the wonderful thoughts that he shared with us over the years.

My condolences to the famil.

Scott Smith
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ARKANSAWYER

Well I wished I had gotten this sad news eariler.  I would have went to the funeral to honor such a fine man.  Well if there are stupid cows in Heaven I know who is herding them around.  I hope the family finds peace at this time for Bro. Noble will be missed by all.
ARKANSAWYER

Gary_C

I was very sad to see Bro Noble's picture at the top of the page when I signed on. Though I never met him, we shared some messages about his days at Iowa State and about the life of a dairy farmer.

He will be missed.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Shotgun

My wife and I were privileged to meet Bro. Noble and Nancy, and one of the sons, at an early pig roast.  I recognized early on that he was a special person, and his posts were an "always read" for me from that point on.  I always got a kick out of his "stoopid cows" remarks.  I read his obituary, and it's obvious that his legacy is well established, and his place in life highly regarded.  His family might not see the extent of the comments here on the Forestry Forum, but I have hopes that Son, David will see to that. They will see the extent of our regards for Bro. Noble.  Condolences to the entire family.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

DoubleD

Sad news to hear my condelences to your family

Davide
Wannabe a sawmiller

wykle42548

So sorry to hear of your loss..He will be missed                       Ted Wykle                                                                                                                                                                                                  .

redbeard

Sorry for your loss my condolences thoughts and prayers to your family, Very nice picture tribute.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

cinnabar

Such sad news, his words were special and uplifting to all.  He will be missed, of that I am sure.

jamesamd

My heart felt condolences,to all of His loved ones!The forum will miss Him,greatly.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

customsawyer

My families thoughts and prayers go out to Bro. Noble and his family. The wife and I had the pleasure of meeting him and his family last year and are forever grateful for the time we spent there.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

whitepe

When I told my wife about Brother Noble's passing,  she recalled the time that the four of us,  Noble, Becky, Jeremiah (my son) and I were riding around Ozark County in my pickup truck with me driving.  Noble would tell me now you gotta keep your speed up going up this hill till you get to the top of the hill. (no prob with V8 pickup) and when you neared the crest of the hill the road suddenly veered to the left and of course the natural reaction is to let off the gas and hit the brakes.  Noble laughed and said "Ah you chickened out like everyone else does"     then he said,  when we were kids, we would take the hill full speed all the time for thrills.    I think as Noble got older,  he got wiser,  cause his pickup truck back in 2003 only had a 6 cylinder,  probably so he wouldn't be tempted to climb the hills of the Ozark Co. roads at speeds capable only in a V8.

whitepe

At the end of our visit to Noble's in 2003.  Noble was driving in his pickup and we in ours.  We had lunch at a Mexican restaurant about an hour north of his farm.  I can't recall the name of the town.  Anyway, after lunch, he wanted to take us
by an antique equipment museum that he and Noble Sr. were actively involved in getting established.   Noble pulled up to the museum grounds in his pickup truck and I was right behind him in mine.  I pulled into the grass to park (no parking lot)
and got out of the truck.   About that time,  up walked a 6 foot tall Easter Bunny and I started getting chewed out for parking on the grass.   It seems that this Easter Bunny and a few other people had just finished hiding a bunch of Easter Eggs for
a hunt that was about to take place in an hour or so.    Noble never did let me live that one down as he frequently reminded me that I was the only person he ever knew that was nearly assaulted by an Easter Bunny.   
Whoever was in the costume was pretty hot under the collar probably both literally due to the costume and figuratively too. 

Jeff

That is a great Noble Story. :) 

Riding around in a pickup with Noble either as the driver or a passenger was a treat. One time Tammy and I along with Noble stopped at a small store to get a coke. Tammy and I went in and Noble remained in our truck. Some how the truck alarm was set off just after we entered the store and we couldn't hear it from within the store. When we finished up and went back outside we found the horn was blaring and the lights were flashing and there sat Noble reading a book that had been laying on the dash and acting as if he was oblivious to the whole thing.  The book was upside down. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

Nobleson,
I am very sorry for your loss.  Your father had and will continue to have a great deal of influence on this membership.  Though I had not met him, he was a model of decorum that all of us appreciated and that I respected greatly.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Mike_Barcaskey

The Lord must have needed another good man upstairs.
Prayers to you and yours
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Warbird

David, thank you for letting us know.  I've been out of town for a while and am just catching up.  Your dad is going to be sorely missed around here.  It was my honor to chat with him here from time to time and to pray for he and his family.  I'm really going to miss him and am upset that we never got to personally meet and shake hands.

Prayers for comfort to you and yours from Alaska.

whitepe

More photos has been posted to my Facebook Album on Brother Noble.  I have added comments about many of the individual photos including a photo of the house where Brother Noble was born and the swimming hole where he swam as a kid.

Thank You Sponsors!