iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's a Hog?

Started by karl, April 09, 2008, 07:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

Ok, I searched hog and now know there is a log hog tractor, there's a huge pig somewhere- or just a staged pic., and a few other tidbits.

But, I still don't know the difference between a hog and a grinder?

We are trying to figure out what to turn slabs/edgings/ poor logs into bedding material with.

We would like shavings but are not sure that shavings mills are the way to go for us????
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

beenthere

karl
Found a site (Morbark) that has chippers, grinders, hogs, etc in pics and video. Might help you sort them out.

http://www.morbark.com/Equipment/Equipment.htm

I think of a hog as flailing knives or bars, that knock things around against a screen that is sized for the material size put out.  Whereas a grinder is like a slower moving "tub" that rubs material against fingers that break it down to smaller size...eventually exiting through a screen.  The grinder will tolerate more dirt/rocks than will a grinder. But I didn't watch all the video's.... ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

I always thought a hog was a hammermill for wood.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Quote from: woodmills1 on April 09, 2008, 10:11:57 PM
I always thought a hog was a hammermill for wood.

I'd go along with that too.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

guy with blue ox who gets all the logs in his area?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

raycon

Quote from: woodmills1 on April 10, 2008, 10:46:48 PM
guy with blue ox who gets all the logs in his area?

Now thats funny! Thanks for a laugh.
Lot of stuff..

SeeSaw

I'm with Texas Ranger on this one I always that it was a Big Harley too. :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

karl

Soooooo, hammermill and hog are synonimous?

This may be as close as this ole boy ever gits to a real Hog since my dear departed wife said NO! to the Harley type......Although, my last name IS Davison....close enough????

Thanks for the site and reply's

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

woodmills1

google hog  8 of first 10 are harley sites.one rog band and the hemofillia society of georga.

Thank You Sponsors!