iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Car Tags

Started by DanG, January 22, 2008, 12:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I wanta tell you, I'm just proud as punch of our Fla. Legislature and Governor.  For some unknown reason, several years back, the DMV suddenly was required to offer tags without the County name on them.  Whenever we bought a new tag, we had to specify whether it had the County name, or just "Sunshine State" on it. ::) ???  Well, recently the Legislature passed, and the Governor signed a bill requiring a third option, that went into effect this month.  They now have to offer you a tag with our State Motto;  IN GOD WE TRUST

8) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

Interesting. We can buy personalized plates but have never heard of a choice of mottoes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Shepard

I want a license plate that has my personal motto on it, which lately has been: GO AWAY, AND LEAVE ME ALONE! ::) So many touristers you can't get a parking space lately.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

I always figured county names were so that the cops could tell if they were harrassing a local or not.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jackpine

When I lived in Alabama I always thought having the county on your tag was so the local law enforcement would know you were from a dry county as you crossed back into it with a trunk load of beer :D

Tom

Florida tags used to be identified by county number. It was a part of the number on the tag, but, that went away when they needed more numbers for too many people.

Then the rage was personal tags and everybody and their brother was getting them.  The tags that stood out were the tags on rental cars which either had no name or were tagged in Miami where the company was located. 

Then came a rash of robberies on the interstates and the murders in the rest areas.  Along with stationed Highway patrolmen in the areas came the idea that identification of out of county or rental cars would be taken away.  It seems that the robberies were of people vacationing who had rented a car and were the targets.

Florida left the county identification up to the buyer of the tag.  He could have a tag with it or without it.  Most took the tag sans county.

The whole movement was an effort to protect tourists and apparently worked.  Still, a lot of us "Natives" remember the county identification and the touring friendships they envoked in a friendlier day.  We would wave at people from our own county and even make rest stops with them if we were in another state.  Kids played games counting the tags and lookin for someone they knew.  It was a slower and more friendly time.  I like the idea of the motto being on the tag.

rebocardo

I love that last motto!

> The whole movement was an effort to protect tourists and apparently worked.

Yes, I remember when they gunned down those two tourists from the UK.

Even in MA, people would target the Enterprise cars in parking garages for stealing because they knew the people wouldn't be back soon. Though I imagine after 9/11 going into an airport garage to steal a car is a bit riskier these days.

WH_Conley

Tom, if memory serves me correctly, didn't your state pass a gun law, and didn't the thieves know that it was safer to hit out of state and rental cars?
Bill

Tom

that might have been part of it WH.  Floridians are known to be armed to the teeth.  ;D :D

SwampDonkey

We have 3 options here, regular provincial plates with logo, conservation plates, or personalized plates. Never heard of county names on plates. I don't think I see it in Maine. We no longer have county run government since the 60's, equal opportunity. We have taxing authorities, which are Parish names, but that's just for property assessments.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

No county names in Maine,SwampDonkey,but you can have alot of differant plates.We have Universty of Maine,loon,farm,Black Bears.I missed a few.Seems like I stopped the wife to show here another new one.Most say"Vacation Land"
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

theCfarm, I see chicadees to.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!