iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunting your own land?

Started by scgargoyle, November 10, 2006, 03:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

This site is great for those of us who don't know nothin'. I got another dumb question: What are the rules regarding hunting on your own property? I seem to recall that you're not supposed to fire a gun within 500' of another dwelling. My woodlot in SC is 7 acres, certainly 500' from another house. So if something edible strolls through my backyard (in season) is it literally fair game? I used to enjoy archery a long time ago; it might be fun to get into it again now that I have the space.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Faron

I don't know about SC, but in Indiana a license is not required on your own land that you live on, best I remember.  You are required to follow season and bag limits.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

thecfarm

Probaly you are correct.Most hunting laws are differant from state to state.A hunting law book will tell you.Common sense goes along ways too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Just a little twist on the theme:

In New Brunswick if you post your land 'No Hunting', thinking your going to keep other hunters out, then if you are caught hunting on the posted land you will be charged. Nobody owns the wildlife.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

The dnr here thinks they own the wildlife, landowners just get the privilage of feeding and storing them.

Each state has different laws regarding landowners. Here we can hunt small game without one but deer requires a landowners license. We are now required to sign an affidavit to attest to the fact we are actually landowners to qualify for those licenses. That went over like a lead ballon with most of us around here.

scgargoyle

I did a little research on SC hunting laws. It sounds like you have to follow the license and season laws pertaining to private land, which is OK by me. I wasn't able to find out anything about discharging a firearm, such as distance from neighboring properties. I'm not dumb enough to hunt in the suburbs, but there has to be some law about required distance, since a deer rifle will obviously carry well beyond a puny 7 acres. I'd probably just bow-hunt anyway. I figure dropping a deer once in a while might discourage others from eating my garden... I know, fat chance!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

farmerdoug

Michigan requires 450 feet safety zone around buildings that you do not have written premission from the owners(ie. your nieghbors house).  If you own the buildings or have written premission then you can actual shoot right out of the builbing if you own it or right up to the property line by the neighbors.

Michigan requires buck or doe tags no matter where you are hunting.  Small game requires no license if you are on property you own.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

Off on a tangent....

Was just crawling through some fir thickets I hope to thin next season and I came across one of the biggest partridge I seen in a long time. As big as most those mal-nurished Eden Valley chickens they sell in the store. Do you guys pay $10-12 for a 3-4 lb chicken?  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

SD,

Noway for price on chicken.  We usually buy boneless skinless chicken breast on sale for 1.99 a pound though.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

The cheapest I seen chicken breast here was $3.49 a lb and that had some kind of light seasoning on it. It was so light you can't see it, probably tastes the same.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!