iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Final Hunting Story of 2012

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 04, 2013, 12:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Diane and I had a very nice new years. For the second year we spent it at the cabin in WV. We had 6" of snow and I wasn't feeling too well so I spent most of Saturday and Sunday in the cabin. We did manage to get in a little  hiking. The evening of the 31st was the last day of doe season so when we decided to take a small hike I decided to take my rifle with me. Diane had never been hunting and wasn't sure how she would react to it if we took a deer but was willing to try. Well half hour into the hunt/hike we saw a doe. I took the shot and lost sight of it but Diane excitedly said "You got it, it just laid down right there!". Sure enough the deer was down and I put it down with a second to the neck. When I asked if she wanted to help me gut it she told me her participation in this event was at an end. We brought the deer back to camp and while she warmed her feet by the fire I quartered the deer and got it into the meat house. 1.5 hours from shot to cooler. New Years Day I spent 4 hours butchering. What a great start to the new year.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

Sounds like Diane did her part.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Yea, for sure, a second pair of eyes is always helpful, happy for you, and hope you get to feeling better!  I can see some loins covered with jalepeno's, onions, seasoned and wrapped with bacon on the grill! Now I can smell it too!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Scott

~Ron

WDH

Jon,

Hard to get much better than that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chain

Let's hope Diane has a taste for venison. If not, try the "goat-shank" recipe for venison , [found elsewhere in forum] prunes and brandy glaze. You can really sit on that one. Yum, yum!

Weekend_Sawyer

She enjoys venison especially when I cook it.  ;D

We had some very good steaks Thursday night. when I butcher a deer I muscle out all of the meat and put it in quart ziplock freezer bags. From a ham I get 3 roasts and 2 bags of stew meat. There is a round roast a square roast and a keystone roast. Named by me because that's the way they look. I took a keystone roast and sliced it 3/4" thick across the grain, added salt, course ground pepper, olive oil minced garlic and a splash of teriyaki sauce. Grilled with a couple of chunks of hickory. Oooh Yeaaa, try getting that from a cow.

Jon

customsawyer

That doe will eat just fine. I could go for some tenderloin myself. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Texas Ranger

The heck with the deer, I'd go for that cabin for a week. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks, I am one of 9 owners of this property. My brother, who is another owner, and I are the caretakers and basically have the run of the place except the first week of deer season. My father and a couple of other guys bought it in 47' as a hunting property, which it still is but we are practicing forestry and wildlife management on it and 3 other properties to include my tree farm. 

Jon

Thank You Sponsors!