iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1099 Help

Started by just_sawing, January 27, 2012, 07:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 28, 2012, 09:59:05 AM
Another complication, anyone know how it is handled?

I charge sales tax on my sawing services as required by law,  so if someone sends me a 1099 with the total amount paid, some of this would be sales tax. When I enter this amount under "payments from 1099's", the sales tax amount will then be taxed as revenue, which it should not be,  unless I deduct it somewhere.  Unless the payer is not supposed to include sales tax amounts on the 1099.
Regarding question about taxability of sawing services,  see my reply in Business and Managment board (reply #3) on this thread:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,55938.msg809496.html#msg809496)

Also concerning my own question  quoted above, an IRS 1099 expert told me that the entire amount of an invoice for services is put on 1099 misc, where the latter is required, box 7 "nonemployee compensation".   Apparently it's up to the recipient to deduct the sales tax as an expense (he wouldn't confirm not his area).
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Handy Andy

My experience with the sales tax people is that they always say "yes" you should collect and pay sales tax, even when sometimes the accountant says no. And the accountant is right.  A good accountant is someone whose service you cannot do without.  His knowledge and advice will make you successful, and could even keep you out of jail.  I've only been audited once, and the auditor told me that even though I would have to pay in some money, would not have to worry about going to court.  A bank made a mistake on a closing statement, and the accountant posted a profit item to the expense side.  Cost me about 3500, and the IRS has never bothered me again.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!