iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to get started saw milling

Started by brad918, October 07, 2016, 09:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad918

Hey everyone, been lurking around here for a bit now. This forum has some amazing information and experienced members, I'm learning so much just reading posts.

I've dreamed of owning a sawmill most of my adult life. Each year I grow closer and closer to purchasing a mill. Im trying to look at all the options before I make a purchase so Im asking you all for some input.

I live on my grandpa's old 300 acre farm. I mostly have large hemlock, white pine, beech, maple and cherry on my property.  Right now I would plan on just milling some hemlock for residing a couple large barns and some occasional hardwoods for my Woodshop. If that was all I plan on doing I think the LT15 may be a good choice. However, i have access to many crotches and short cull logs from my father in law who is a logger. I've taken a few cherry crotches and sawed them on my buddies LT40.  Not sure if there is a market for these but it was fun cutting. So with this opportunity I wonder if maybe a larger mill would be a better option? Also, wouldn't mind milling the hemlock and selling that also. As far as support equipment, I'm rather limited. Just a tractor to pull logs from the woods. I don't mind manual labor but if it makes more sense to wait till I can afford a hyd. machine I will wait.

I found a used LT35 manual that looks in decent shape. Does anyone know if a hydraulic "package" can be added to this mill? I see on WM's website if you "build" a manual mill you have the option of adding the hyd. package. Can this be done on a 2014 model? Wouldn't be able to add that right away but maybe someday.
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

tnaz

brad918, welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I too want, and have been looking for a mill.  Lots of good stuff going on here.

Terry

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF.

look at all your options and certainly test drive as many as you can,
adding your location will also help folks in making suggestions/recommendations

best
D

flyboy16101

Welcome to the forum Brad918. If you look around on here I remember seeing a thread a while ago where someone converted a Lt 40 manual to hydraulic. Your best resource is going to be Marty Parson at Woodmizer in Shade Gap Pa. He and his people have answered any question I have come up with and they are great people to just stop in and see. As far as the mill being manual I wouldn't say that is that big of a deal. The winch and ramp system on the Woodmizer works very well for loading. Odd shaped logs are a little bit of a pain but they can be loaded fairly easily with a little practice. I have put logs 20' long 30"+ on the big end with the winch on my Lt 28 with very few problems it's just a little time consuming. My original plan was to saw with my manual mill, save up some money then trade it in for a hydraulic model. But every time I get close I see something else I want and think "I can use a cant hook for a while longer"
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

drobertson

Welcome, and should say I have one up for sale, 300 acres has a pile of timber.  Hate to see you working so hard clearing to turn around and double your work sawing, unless you guys are pocket filled? Nothing wrong with that , good luck!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

brad918

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Thanks flyboy your plan sounds like what I had planned. I definitely need to try out a manual mill first. I've been around a couple hydraulic mills so I know the advantages of hydraulics. And thanks for the contact, I'll definitely be in touch with Marty.

Thanks drobertson, yes we do have a lot of timber, the large hemlock has me a bit nervous though. Mainly because my grandpa had cows pasture near them and our land is fairly wet. I may just have a pile of hemlock with shake all through it  :-\. Definitely not pocket filled  :).  I do like hard work though. I just cut a half acre wheat field with an old scythe for fun. Maybe that just makes me an idiot! Haha   :D
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

ozarkgem

Quote from: brad918 on October 08, 2016, 09:12:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Thanks flyboy your plan sounds like what I had planned. I definitely need to try out a manual mill first. I've been around a couple hydraulic mills so I know the advantages of hydraulics. And thanks for the contact, I'll definitely be in touch with Marty.

Thanks drobertson, yes we do have a lot of timber, the large hemlock has me a bit nervous though. Mainly because my grandpa had cows pasture near them and our land is fairly wet. I may just have a pile of hemlock with shake all through it  :-\. Definitely not pocket filled  :).  I do like hard work though. I just cut a half acre wheat field with an old scythe for fun. Maybe that just makes me an idiot! Haha   :D
How long did it take to cut the wheat by hand?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

brad918

Took me about 3 hours to cut. I don't put the wheat into sheaves, just store loose and feed it to the goats. They aren't picky!
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

brianJ

We got a lot of goat enthusiasts here.   8)

I think it ought to be worthwhile to drop a couple hemlocks to see if they got shake.    Not from experience but from what Ive read the shakes seem to be area specific such that one has it most or all its neighbors have it.

f350rd

welcome Brad918 I am also new here. I just purchased an Ez Boardwalk 40 with 8' extension. I have added leveling jacks. power feed up/down loading ramps and wireless wench for loading. I am opening a custom cutting service in my area. I really like the ez boardwalk cuts great and is fast
EZ boardwalk 40 Modified, New Holland lx 865, cat e70b excavator, welding/machine shop, 1999 f350, 2011 f350,72" granberg chainsaw slabbing mill,
48" chainsaw mill

f350rd

I also added toe jacks using scissor jacks mounted on movable frames
EZ boardwalk 40 Modified, New Holland lx 865, cat e70b excavator, welding/machine shop, 1999 f350, 2011 f350,72" granberg chainsaw slabbing mill,
48" chainsaw mill

f350rd

I forgot to add the extension has v rollers. I jack it up roll it on the main bed lock down ready to travel.
48" chainsaw mill

Thank You Sponsors!