iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Computer modeling of forests

Started by twistedtree, January 22, 2006, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twistedtree

Anyone know of computer modeling efforts to model a tree stand's growth and evolution?  It's clearly a very complex eco system, but if you look at weather models as an example of what's possible, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities.  Even a very basic model with exposure, weather, soil conditions, tree species size and location, and terrain I think could be quite interesting.  It would sure beat waiting around for 100 years to see what happens.

SwampDonkey

There are commercial programs used by our Provincial Dept of Natural Resources and our neighbors over in Maine. It's geared toward managing whole forests and developing forest management plans.

Woodstock Forest Modelling

The university has developed (or developing) a soil water model for the province of NB and is proving to be very accurate and helps in road design and layout in some forest companies.

Mapping Potential Wet Areas for Operational Land-use Management and Planning

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!