iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blood Stopper

Started by Kevin, October 15, 2003, 06:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Just wondering how many people carry a blood stopper bandage on their belt when operating a chainsaw in the bush?
It could save your life.

beenthere

I learned from a logger in Alaska to carry a women's sanitary napkin above the webbing of the hard hat for an emergency blood stopper. Also, he used sanitary panty shields on the leather band that comes in contact with forehead. I have tried them, and they stop a lot of sweat from dripping in your eyes.

Also chaps, eye protection, and hard hat for me.  

I was once told by a chainsaw safety person that "It isn't a matter of 'if' you get hurt while using a chainsaw, just a matter of 'when'".  Those words stick with me while I am using the chainsaw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

Well that makes 2 out of 1040.  :D

Typhoon

Kevin, I must confess I dont. I have a little first aid kit in my truck but thats it. But now that you mention it, im gonna hit the wife up for some sanitary napkins and keep em on me when im cuttin. Thanks!
-Brad ;D
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

RMay

They do work but that on the dash of the truck could be a conversation peace ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

rebocardo

I usual carry a towel or face cloth in case I get something that really bleeds. Is a blood stopper anything different?

Kevin

rebocardo,
This type of bandage is used where blood is difficult to control, much better than a face cloth or towel.
Sanitary napkins work well.

SawInIt CA

Thanks Kevin I just put one with my stuff

Gus

I've seen a couple a real bad ones in the woods. Both lived to tell about it. Not all do from what I've read and heard. :-/

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Kevin

I was clearing a trail with a couple of guys when one of them sunk the chain into his leg.
No chaps, many stitches.

Gus

When I was a kid I used to "run the measuring stick" for my dad and my uncle during the summer. Dad contracted for an outfit called Wheeler Lumber and Bridge, in the Black Hills.
Each logger was assigned a "strip" that went down the side of the hill to the road. The strip along side of us was being cut by an old man. One day I was customarily throwing limbs out of the way for dad as he limbed and I noticed something through the timber coming our way. I finally decided it was human and that he was kind of aimlessly wandering around as if nothing to do and nowhere to go.. I suddenly realized that it was this older fellow cutting the strip next to us. Seeing him wander around was deffinately out of character so I poked dad with the measuring stick, this always got a rise out of him, and pointed in the direction that the old fellow was coming from. Dad shut down the old MAC and proceeded to walk closer to see what was going on.
On closer observation the old fellow had a tremendous amount of blood on him from head to foot and seemed delerious. He had cut his face with his chainsaw! :o
We hauled him to town as fast as we could go with the old 3 ton '49 International. He ended up OK but scarred for life.
What had happened was this. The wind had been blowing in a favorable direction most of the morning so he'd quit notching his trees and was merely back cutting and letting the wind take `em down. Well. . . one finally barber chaired on him and threw his saw back in his face and cut the Gewillickers out of him :o. To say the least it left quite an impression on a young feller like myseff. ::)

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

RMay

I have a stihl first aid belt kit with a mirror . I have used  the mirror more than any thing to get chips out of my eyes . baby diapers is a good blood stopper also . ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

AtLast

GREAT post Kevin...and words to live by..." not a matter of how bad....its a matter of when...."....BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Thanks Kevin and Beenthere.  Great advice.  I got a bloodstopper above the webbing of my hardhat now.

Make me 4 out of 1040. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!