iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally found someone more foolish than me

Started by jteneyck, November 02, 2010, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

Just had to share this.  I put a posting on a woodworking forum I participate in about saving a bunch of money by milling my own wood.  I described my equipment, posted some photos, and warned of the dangers to both man and machine.  Clearly this is not for everyone, for any number of reasons.  But this one guy was all enthusiastic and writes back asking if I knew how to freehand straight ripping cuts.  He had a saw with a 16" bar and wanted to rip a 20" dia. tree.  Hmmm.  I told him, no, no good freehand methods, the cheapest thing is a Beam Machine and, oh, by the way, you need a longer bar so what kind of saw do you have.  He writes back 27 cc's !  Geesh. 

cheyenne

If their not born here they move here  dadgum you, Charlie!.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Cut4fun

Ianab

To be fair, he did say he would "take his time"....

I don't think many of us have THAT much time though  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jteneyck

Ian, I knew I had seen your handle somewhere.  Duh, of course it was here.  Apparently we share at least two common interests, and maybe too much free time. 
You are correct, he did say he would go slowly.  And after that little saw dies he can use it as a handsaw to finish the job. 

nvrs

hey, at least it could make it safer since it was slower and didnt have all the brute force that the big saws have... ;D

clww

It would probably be faster with a Kobalt rip saw from Lowes! :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!