iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The danger of the cold

Started by snowstorm, January 09, 2018, 08:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

This was in the bangor paper today. Last week a man was on his way to his dads house temp is zero high wind. His car gets stuck 150 yards from his dads house. He froze to death trying to walk to the house.

thecfarm

I saw something in the news,did not realize he was that close.
But saying that I can remember around Christmas,I was out in a storm adjusting the lights. I was thinking,if the power went out,I would not know which way the house was. And come to find out,my Aunt got stuck in her driveway that same night and tried to walk to her house and fell down and if the plow guy had not stopped to check on her driveway,she would of died outside too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

When it's cold, my best advice is to dress FOR the cold!

I used to tell the kids on the school bus (the High Schoolers usually would show up in a short-sleeved shirt) to at least bring a coat, even if they just left it on the bus and didn't wear it, they would still have it in case of a breakdown!

Some did and some didn't!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

The guy who owned our farm until the '60's froze to death walking from the house to the mailbox.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

trapper

We had two ladies in a week die from the cold.  mostly alcohol was involved.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

starmac

I would think there were some extenuation circumstances, age , health or something. I would be in dire trouble anymore, but just a couple of years ago, that would not have been all that dangerous, unless the snow was blowing enough to not be able to see where you are going.

I spun out on finger simply because the snow was blowing so hard the only thing I could see was the inside of my windshield. When I got out to chain up, I could not stand up at all, had to hold on to the truck to keep from being blown away from it and the snow blew into my eyes and froze solid. I had my shirt tail out and had to lay down to stay there and chain up, it packed 2 inches of snow under my shirt on my stomach and chest, which melted and turned to solid ice before I got back in the truck, then I was soaking wet in a matter of minutes. That was my first winter running north and I learned a couple of lessons on that trip.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

maple flats

Absolutely be ready for whatever the weather throws at you. Just because you are "only going out to the mailbox", dress as if you will be out an hour or 2. When driving anyplace, have blankets and a spare coat, just in case the admin edit hits the fan.
My wife has a friend earlier this fall who went to get the mail. When she turned to go back in, she fell and broke her ankle in a compound fracture. She did not have her cell phone with her. Even worse, she lives alone, worse yet the mailbox is about 300' from her house, and is downhill from her house and still worse yet, she was still in her nightgown and house coat. She had to crawl 300' uphill, then crawl up the steps to get in the house, where she could call for help. That day, it was snowing and windy with a temperature of 33-34F. She got real cold but couldn't quit or she would have died of hypothermia.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Corley5

I gave my kids a lecture last winter on the cold.  We were going to Gaylord and it was zero with a serious wind chill.  They both came bouncing out of the house to the warm car with hoodies and sneakers on ::) ::) ::)  I explained the seriousness of the weather and that it really was dangerous outside and what if the vehicle broke down?  How would they stay warm?  They got it and remember it 8) 8)  I've always got Carharts, warm gloves, and a warm hat with me.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

starmac

I used to run road service for big trucks and wreckers for everything on I 40, it amazed it me how many people traveled across country with nothing more than short pants and t shirts, never thinking what was going to happen if they broke down.

Grizzly

As vehicles have become more reliable and traffic volumes on any highway have increased dramatically we have all become lazy to the danger. And now with cell phones we believe that just a phone call from anywhere (and many trust there is service everywhere) will bring rescue in a few moments. The cold hasn't changed but our view of it sure has. The generation older than me still carries winter clothing and candles in the vehicle but I know that we have become lazy on that. Too busy coming and going to ever worry that one day it might be us. Not good.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

starmac

Much / most of my travels a cell phone can not be depended on, period. I do keep a satellite phone in my primary truck, but even then it is always possible that no one can get to you until weather clears, so I keep at least some artic gear in every vehicle.
A few years ago I broke down in a major blow, probably somewhere around midnight, wind was howling and actual temps was around 30 below. I knew I was the last truck that would have made it over the pass, so there would be no help till they cleared the road the next morning. I keep a GOOD bag in the truck and crawled in it, remained there until I heard a truck coming the next day, I would have been in dire straights, if I didn't have some cold weather gear. No one will generally pass you up in those conditions, but someone has to drive by, or it doesn't matter.

PineHill4488

My Carhart coat with attached hood and insulated leather gloves ride in the truck year 'round.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Crusarius

I went on a forest fire call one year. was 80 when I left. later that night I refused to put out a section of fire cause it was the only thing keeping me from freezing. It is funny how quickly you can get cold. Believe it or not you can become hypothermic in 60 degree temps.

r.man

I carry a work parka from mid fall to late spring and always made my kids carry their cold weather gear if we were going out of the town limits. The rule was that you must be able to walk comfortably or hunker down safely if the weather goes cold for the season. They didn't have to wear the boots, snow pants, heavy coat, toque and mitts but they had to have them on hand. I try not to go outside in the winter in less than full gear in case of a disabling fall. At night if I am loading my outside furnace late and my wife is asleep I set the kitchen stove timer alarm for a reasonable time in case something happens outside.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

I forgot to mention that a healthy older fellow died near me in the fairly extreme cold we had over christmas. He was at a close neighbours party and was walking back to his own house but didn't make it. Slipped and knocked himself out and froze before being found in the morning. Should have had a check in call, shouldnt have been wearing cowboy boots outside and was probably dressed nattily, but not properly for the temps we were having.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Onthesauk

I read this a number of years ago but thought about it in a thread like this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Armistice_Day_Blizzard
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

coxy

my  daughter when she was 14 would have a fit if I made her bring a winter coat so one day I got stuck on purpose about 1/4mile down the road and we had to walk home after that it was always a blanket extra socks heavy coat   gloves  hat  she is 21 now and the  back seat of her car is full so I think I did my job  :)

blackfoot griz

Lots of good ideas already posted. I travel all over Western Montana year-round. In the cold months, I run off the top half of the fuel tank of whatever vehicle I'm driving. It has paid off.

repmma

During that "blizzard" on the 4th/5th We were setting at home just hoping someone wouldn't decide it was the day to make her debut... well at 0130 on the 5th just as the snow stopped falling it was go time, mad dash to plow the drifted up driveway (with a SXS) and down the horrible roads to make it to the hospital 1hr before the arrival of 8lbs 5ozs of baby girl!  Blizzard baby with a great birth story for sure.  The whole drive was white knuckle, one slip up and it was going to be a birth in the Subaru.  Made all the less stressful with a screaming wife and contractions under 2 minutes...

Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

For sure congrats.  :) You won't forget the birth of that one. Blizzard Baby have a name?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

repmma

Thanks!  Her name is Rebecca.  First baby in Belfast for the year so we got some goodies too!!   8)
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Roxie

What a great story, and what a wonderful picture.   :)
Say when

sandhills

All's well that ends well!  (old saying) Congratulations!  8)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Rebecca is a big beautiful blizzard baby (and her Mom is looking good after the mad dash to the delivery room)!!!

Best wishes for your entire family.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!