iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you could only have one chainsaw (to do it all)?

Started by TheTexasRAT, October 13, 2013, 11:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTexasRAT

Ok, if you could only have one chainsaw to climb trees and limb out the tree and the same one chainsaw to fell a 36" trunk and cut the hole mess up into fire wood which Stihl chainsaw would you pick, and why?

My dad has a Stihl MS290 and I like it better than the Poulan saw I have, and now I want to get a Stihl chainsaw of my own. I understand that it is best to have at least 3 chainsaws to run the gambit of jobs but due to constraint of room in my ride I will only be able to have one onboard chainsaw to do everything. I am a handyman and do all kinds of jobs so I my ride is already loaded with tools, and there is just no way I can get 2 or 3 saws into the space I have.

At times I will just be cutting limbs and at others I will be cutting down big trees and reducing them to fire wood. I am wondering which Stihl chainsaw will be able to handle the big jobs while yet light enough to be convenient for the small ones.

I like the MS290, but being the MS310 and MS390 are the same weight and have more power it seems at face value that one of them (most likely the MS390) would be the better choice, yet I am wondering if there is actually an even better choice to make in the Stihl lineup? Need to keep in mind that at times I will have to be climbing in tree with it. And AV is a must!

I appreciate it if all thoughts be limited to the Stihl brand chainsaws. I also prefer Dodge over Ford, even though Ford has always made one hell of a ride. So keep in mind it is nothing personal against Husky (unless you take into account my friend's Husky chainsaw that kept shocking me) or other brands for that matter.

JohnG28

I for one have a lot of tools also, and still 8 or 9 saws. ;D But to your question, I'd say an MS361 hands down. Wouldn't be my first choice to climb with but it is doable. Pro construction, lighter and more powerful 290/310/390 series. Love mine and it will do anything I ever had to do. It will handle larger wood but not super fast. I'd still rather use it than a 390 in bigger wood. If you're mostly in 18-20" stuff, along with limbing, topping, etc it will really shine. Right now though its replacement the 362 is around. Haven't run one but should be pretty similar, tab heavier. Also likely the other series will be 291/311/391, as they too have been replaced.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

I agree with that, and do everything with my MS361 w/20" bar.
It is a bit tight on the 36" you speak of, but worked on a soft maple that size.

I find it just the right size for limbing and bucking up firewood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: JohnG28 on October 13, 2013, 11:55:44 PM
Also likely the other series will be 291/311/391, as they too have been replaced.

from what I saw at the store the other day these no longer have the easy toolless removable air-filter cover, and instead one will have to twist 3 screws 1/4 turn to get at the air-filter and/or spark-plug. This may not be a bad design even after having used one that has the easily finger removable cover being you have to have the scrinch handy to remove the air-filter anyway.

Anyway, as to y'all's replies to my question I have been searching ebay for a used MS361, and will also research online and/or make a trip to the dealer to get a better look at the MS362 before deciding which of the two I'd prefer to own.

Whichever I choose I will run a 20 inch bar on it.

It's good to get advice based upon experience, and for that I thank y'all for sharing.

NCFarmboy

Agree with others on the MS361.  Best allaround Stihl saw IMO.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

JohnG28

If you plan to climb I'd say get the saw with a 20" bar then buy a 16" bar for climbing. I wouldn't want to swing 20" around in a tree for sure.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

qbilder

I have an 029 and 390. I prefer the 029 to the 390. Also have a 460 & it's what I pretty much use most of the time. I don't find the 460 to be much bigger or heavier, but in terms of speed it is far superior. 
God bless our troops

nmurph

Ported 346. It will hand a 361 it's butt in a sling, light enough to limb, strong enough to pull a 24" if needed.

tolman_paul

There is no one saw that will work for climbing and limbing and felling and bucking large trees.  You'll either end up with something that is too heavy and dangerous when climbing, or something that is inadequate for felling and bucking.

Top handle saws come into their own when climbing and limbing, and for felling and bucking large trees you'll want a minimum of a 70cc saw, though an 80 or 90 would not be unreasonable for such large trees.

gspren

If I could only keep one saw I'd be very upset but would keep my 044, but I'm not climbing.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

T Welsh

I be the third to endorse the 044,it can handle an 18" bar and all the way up to a 36"bar with out a problem. In fact I have 4 bars for my 044 and switch them regularly. If I had to pick two saws to do all around work they would be an 020T and a 044.Tim

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: JohnG28 on October 14, 2013, 11:32:22 AM
If you plan to climb I'd say get the saw with a 20" bar then buy a 16" bar for climbing. I wouldn't want to swing 20" around in a tree for sure.
I have been up 3 big trees with the MS290 with a 20" bar so far and as you and another has mentioned it is rather awkward up there, and just barely doable. I would not at all want to have a heavier saw or a longer bar for sure up a tree. One thing I like about the MS361/362 is that it has about the same HP and is one pound less than the MS390. And I do like the idea of switching bars out to fit the situation. But I will say that I have cut 20" limbs at the first fork of the tree some 20 feet up. Some monster water-oaks here in southeast Texas. 

martyinmi

Quote from: gspren on October 14, 2013, 06:33:56 PM
  If I could only keep one saw I'd be very upset but would keep my 044, but I'm not climbing.
I'm definitely with ya on the climbing thing!
I told my boss 12 years ago that if he ever ordered me to climb one of our Harvestore silo's, I'd quit on the spot!
I hate heights more and more every year I age!
My one choice(s) out of all of mine would be the Pro Mac 700, then the 555, followed by the MS 310.
Thats as far as I can narrow my choice(s) down to. :)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Nephew my goodness I'm 65 years of age and could climb a mile in the air if I had to .---I don't have to though ;D

Saw one of Stihls best  038 Mag which somebody tweeked . ;)Climber would be a Stihl 200T which that same someone enhanced .

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: qbilder on October 14, 2013, 11:34:09 AM
I have an 029 and 390. I prefer the 029 to the 390.
The 390 only weighs 2 pounds more, and has about 3/4 more horse.

Quote from: qbilder on October 14, 2013, 11:34:09 AM
Also have a 460 & it's what I pretty much use most of the time. I don't find the 460 to be much bigger or heavier, but in terms of speed it is far superior.
The MS 461 weighs 14-1/2 pounds and sports a whopping 6HP. 1-1/2 pounds heavier than the MS361 and 2-1/4 more HP. Nice to have that much HP, especially on the ground, but the MS290 at 12 pounds is already heavy up the trees. The MS 461 weighs in at 14-1/2 pounds. It seems that porting the MS361 would get me the extra HP neede on the ground all the while keeping things lite up the trees. And having to size bars, as John mentioned, would make it all the more versatile.

clww

Tough to do all this with only one saw, which is why I have 8 different Stihl models. If I had to use only one, I'd go with a one of these three: MS361, 044, or an MS460. I could not picture using any of these three as my daily climber, though. When I was doing tree removal as a tree service business, my usual climbing saw was an 028 with a 16" bar.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: tolman_paul on October 14, 2013, 12:05:56 PM
There is no one saw that will work for climbing and limbing and felling and bucking large trees.  You'll either end up with something that is too heavy and dangerous when climbing, or something that is inadequate for felling and bucking.

Top handle saws come into their own when climbing and limbing, and for felling and bucking large trees you'll want a minimum of a 70cc saw, though an 80 or 90 would not be unreasonable for such large trees.
I used to do it all with a poulan from WalMart (i.e.- quote "The Wild Thing"), and as you put it it was not so great on the ground. That is the main reason (other than an AV system) why I am wanting a bigger saw. As I stated already I have been up the trees with a Stihl MS290 and yes it is a bit awkward up there, but doable. But yes I would really like to get the weigh down. And yes the top handle saws are real nice up the tree as one can use one hand to hold onto the tree still. Something that is next to near impossible with the rear handle saw that weight 10 pounds +. But again I have used the MS290 up 3 trees and got by with it. A bit scary not having one hand to hold onto the trees with. Yet as I mentioned in another post that I need a 20" bar up the trees at the first forks. A little top handled saw would not suffice in these big wateroaks. The 16" bar on my Wild Thing was kinda small and inadequate in this area and even more so on down the trunks.

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: martyinmi on October 14, 2013, 09:17:44 PM
I'm definitely with ya on the climbing thing!
I told my boss 12 years ago that if he ever ordered me to climb one of our Harvestore silo's, I'd quit on the spot!
I hate heights more and more every year I age!
I do not have a fear of heights, my feel is restricted to falling from heights. That said I like to tie myself in or hang on really tight up there.

Full Chisel

It's my Stihl MS261. I can cut anything within reason to stay supplied with Oak and Hickory for wood heat. It is probably the lightest saw available with its capability and powers a 20" bar in .063 gauge. If for some reason there was only one saw for each guy, I'll take one of these and guaranteed stay warm. The close up pic is a 16" bar with Rapid Super. The other bar is a 20" Stihl with a replaceable tip. That's the best bar to answer your question in another thread, Texas Rat. My avatar is the same saw. I use it every day.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: nmurph on October 14, 2013, 12:00:01 PM
Ported 346. It will hand a 361 it's butt in a sling, light enough to limb, strong enough to pull a 24" if needed.
Do you have any HP and weight stats for the ported 346?

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: T Welsh on October 14, 2013, 07:58:25 PM
I be the third to endorse the 044,it can handle an 18" bar and all the way up to a 36"bar with out a problem. In fact I have 4 bars for my 044 and switch them regularly. If I had to pick two saws to do all around work they would be an 020T and a 044.Tim
Do any of y'all 044 lovers have the HP and weight stats on this saw. My stat sheet does not have this one or the Pro Mac 700, and the 555. weigh to HP ratio is good thing to know.

nmurph

Quote from: TheTexasRAT on October 14, 2013, 10:21:44 PM
Quote from: nmurph on October 14, 2013, 12:00:01 PM
Do you have any HP and weight stats for the ported 346?
a 346 is about 1.5lbs. lighter. I would guess a well ported 346 is pushing 5 hp.

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: Full Chisel on October 14, 2013, 10:07:24 PM

It's my Stihl MS261. I can cut anything within reason to stay supplied with Oak and Hickory for wood heat. It is probably the lightest saw available with its capability and powers a 20" bar in .063 gauge. If for some reason there was only one saw for each guy, I'll take one of these and guaranteed stay warm. The close up pic is a 16" bar with Rapid Super. The other bar is a 20" Stihl with a replaceable tip. That's the best bar to answer your question in another thread, Texas Rat. My avatar is the same saw. I use it every day.
My stats sheet show the MS261 to be the exact HP as the MS290 and 1/2 pound lighter. it seems to be the lightest saw with some what of HP so far. And if it where to be ported with a muf mod it might come out the overall winner. I will be considering this one for sure along side the MS 361 and others as well.

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: nmurph on October 14, 2013, 10:37:35 PM
a 346 is about 1.5lbs. lighter.
lighter than what?

And do you have the original HP stats on the 346 saw so I can try and get an idea as to how much other saws might gain with a port and muf mod job?

Piston

My one, do it all saw, is the MS361.  I can't say how nice it is to have other bigger and smaller saws, as this is the only saw I've ever purchased up until a month ago.  I am very happy with the 361, so happy in fact, I bought my father a 362 for his birthday after they discontinued the 361.  I really notice zero difference between the two, and wouldn't hesitate to go with the 362. 

Just recently, I did purchase a Stihl Farm Boss which I think is the 290??? It's okay, but overlaps too much with the 361 in size and weight, but nowhere near the power.  I had thought of selling it and getting a MS200 for a great combo. 

So my vote is for a 362 as a do it all saw, 20" bar for good balance. 

(of course, if I had a different saw and was happy with it, I'd probably be recommending something different  :D)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

nmurph

Quote from: TheTexasRAT on October 14, 2013, 10:37:48 PM

My stats sheet show the MS261 to be the exact HP as the MS290 and 1/2 pound lighter. it seems to be the lightest saw with some what of HP so far. And if it where to be ported with a muf mod it might come out the overall winner. I will be considering this one for sure along side the MS 361 and others as well.

A stock 550 has the same HP rating as a 261 and is nearly .75lb lighter.

If you need something a little bigger and want to stay with a stock saw, a 562 is a good bit lighter than a 362 and a is a little stronger.

HotRail

First post here but, I would agree with a 60cc saw for one size fits all so to speak...if your looking stihl then a good used ms361 or new ms362...husky would be 562xp.  Both Pro saws so not cheap.  I have a ms261 and if you don't need more than a 20" bar this would be better for climbing but still able to handle a ground duties.  Good luck with your decision.

JohnG28

Quote from: TheTexasRAT on October 14, 2013, 10:41:13 PM
lighter than what?

And do you have the original HP stats on the 346 saw so I can try and get an idea as to how much other saws might gain with a port and muf mod job?

I believe he means lighter than the 361. I have my 361 muffler moded and it made a good difference. A ported 361 would be really nice, I for one just can't bring myself to mess with mine as it is. Already does anything I have asked of it and the 460 gets anything larger anyways.

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: HotRail on October 15, 2013, 07:04:35 AM
First post here but, I would agree with a 60cc saw for one size fits all so to speak...if your looking stihl then a good used ms361 or new ms362.... ...  I have a ms261 and if you don't need more than a 20" bar this would be better for climbing but still able to handle a ground duties.  Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the input, so far from what I am hearing and reading in the stats I am leaning toward the MS261 C-M and open up the muffler 80%. And once the warranty is up I would definitely want to port it and even run a pipe to make it the saw it was meant to be in the first place - I'm really not all that concerned about noise pollution.

Quote from: JohnG28 on October 15, 2013, 07:27:29 AM
Quote from: TheTexasRAT on October 14, 2013, 10:41:13 PM
lighter than what?

I believe he means lighter than the 361. I have my 361 muffler moded and it made a good difference. A ported 361 would be really nice, I for one just can't bring myself to mess with mine as it is. Already does anything I have asked of it and the 460 gets anything larger anyways.
Oy, turns out it's a Husqy, in which I could care less (with extreme prejudice) as to what the specs are in the first place.

As for doing a port job I would think the MS261 series could use the extra oomph. I'm thinking it is a lighter saw than the MS361 and could easily make the same HP with a port and muf job (i.e. - all of the oomph of the MS361 [if not more] plus lighter weight for climbing, not to mention nice to have light weight on the ground too). 

Quote from: nmurph on October 15, 2013, 05:42:40 AM

If you need something a little bigger and want to stay with a stock saw, a 562 is a good bit lighter than a 362 and a is a little stronger.
I am sure that Husqy makes many a good saws, but I personally prefer the a Stihl chainsaw. Not to mention if one is going to run a Stihl bar to start with, due to there extreme quality, I see no need to use an adaptor plate when they fit Stihl chainsaws to the T. And being Stihl makes the best chains to boot I feel that if I'm going to run a Stihl bar and chain I might as well attach 'em to a beloved Stihl saw to boot. Now keep in mind that I'm not biased against Husqy chainsaws, rather I am extremely prejudist against them. MY BAD but that's just the way it's going to be with me. A friend of mine had a Husqy and it would shock the bejeebers out of you every time you'ld get your hand next to the little hump in the top cover. OYE VEY!!! Thanks but no thanks.

SawTroll

Quote from: NCFarmboy on October 14, 2013, 07:20:42 AM
Agree with others on the MS361.  Best allaround Stihl saw IMO.
Shep

It is where I am too - but of course the isn't a universal answer!   ;)

My brother likely would have said 056 MagII.....  :D :D

...that is, if it has to be a Stihl...
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: nmurph on October 15, 2013, 05:42:40 AM..-..

Those Stihl saws aren't really relevant - too far outclassed.... ;D
Information collector.

HotRail

I like it...ms261 cm w/muffler mod.  My regular 261 is mm'ed and its a good bit stronger now.  16" bar for climbing and a 20" for ground work.  A lot guys go 3/8" but I stay with .325. 

Piston

...I have my 361 muffler moded and it made a good difference. ....

John,
Did you do your own muffler mod?  If not, how did  you have it done?  I've been thinking of having that done to mine but I don't know what I'm doing.   :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

Quote from: Piston on October 15, 2013, 02:22:10 PM

John,
Did you do your own muffler mod?  If not, how did  you have it done?  I've been thinking of having that done to mine but I don't know what I'm doing.   :D

Just Google images "MS361 Muffler Mod"........

Some use a Husqvarna 266 or 288 deflector on the left side of muffler, some prefer to slice louvers with a thin cut Dremel wheel.
I've done both.
I prefer the looks, sound and performance of the 266/288 deflector myself
J.Miller Photography

JohnG28

Quote from: Piston on October 15, 2013, 02:22:10 PM

John,
I can send you pics of it id you like. Did it myself with the 288 deflector like ADK said and screen in case I choose to use it on state land. It makes a difference and real easy.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

abikerboy

Quote from: TheTexasRAT on October 14, 2013, 10:37:48 PM

I own both a MS290 and an MS261, and while I do still like my MS290, I will say that your arms and hands will thank you if you choose the MS261 over the MS290! I like the anti-vibe on the MS261 better, and it may be just my imagination, but the MS261 seems to have a little more torque than the MS290. (Sending out a big hello to the arboristsite guys that are here! Looks like I've got another great hangout place and a great new crowd of people to get addicted to now!)

ehp

I would have to say I like my ported 562 pretty good , its nice a light and easy to carry if the trees get to far apart like they do some times logging ,

nmurph

Quote from: AdkStihl on October 15, 2013, 03:29:16 PM
For Niko........  8)

The weight of an 044 is about 1lb more than what that brochure states. I haven't weighed a 268, but a 61/272 conversion is 14lbs (should be very close).

Full Chisel

Quote from: nmurph on October 16, 2013, 07:52:41 AM

The weight of an 044 is about 1lb more than what that brochure states.

That's an extra pound of onryness. You need to steer clear of it

Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

SawTroll

Quote from: nmurph on October 16, 2013, 07:52:41 AM
Quote from: AdkStihl on October 15, 2013, 03:29:16 PM
For Niko........  8)

Not all 044s were equally heavy, or had the same max power specs.... ;)

The weight of an 044 is about 1lb more than what that brochure states. I haven't weighed a 268, but a 61/272 conversion is 14lbs (should be very close).

The weight and power output of the 044 depends on how old it is - they were not all created the same.... :)
Information collector.

gspren

Regardless of what a saw looks like on paper some saws just feel right and some don't, the 044 feels right in my hands and anyone that I've let use it was impressed. Those that used it were with me, I don't loan it out, that's what I kept the 041 without AV for.

SawTroll

Quote from: gspren on October 16, 2013, 07:02:12 PM
  Regardless of what a saw looks like on paper some saws just feel right and some don't, ....

True. 
Information collector.

Lanternguy

for me my Echo 450 is great all around but yha if i had to only keep one saw its my Stihl 361 the power and weight feel right to me
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

angelo c

based on your requirements a ported 261CM would be the closest to meeting them.
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

outdoortype

I bet if you buy a 261,361, 362 you won't even need to modify it. They all are lighter,faster and handle so much better than the 029/310.  If you don't mind buying used, the 361 is in a class of it's own.  I am a Husky guy but the 361 has a husky style engine porting(fast acceleration) and is just plain bulletproof.  The early models had a few coil issues but that's it.  The saw that replaced it is really expensive around here $700+

TheTexasRAT

Well, I got me a saw. And I bet y'all will never guess which one I got. Especially since I had gone on record as having said "I would never own a Husqvarna".

Well, I got a Husqvarna 350 (52cc). It seems light weight enough for what I want, but am not sure just yet as to whether or not it can do the work load I need it to do.

Keep in mind I did not pick this saw out based on any thing said here on this thread. In fact I did not pick the saw, it picked me. I cut down a couple of dying trees in the back yard and cut them up and then took the firewood over to my neighbor to give to him, as I have been doing for years now. He was so glad to know that he would not have to worry about firewood again for the next coming year, as his Husqvarna had an issue, that he gave me his chainsaw.

He said that it had some issue with the clutch and that he did not want to pay to get it fixed anymore. Being he sends his stuff to shops instead of doing the work himself he said he just as well off buying a new saw anyway.

Ok, so I get the saw home and fuel it up and it starts right up and throttles well. Every thing seems just fine, but I decided to take a look at the clutch. Turns out nothing was wrong with the clutch but rather it was the sprocket worn down to the point that the chain could no longer catch on anything.

Yeah, right now I am a tried-and-true Stilh-Man with a Husqvarna in my hand, and if all works out that I like this saw I will just stick with it, otherwise I will sell it and look for either a Stihl 261, 361 or 362. After I fix it and cut some wood I will come back and let y'all know if I am still as happy as I am right now (to be continued at a later date).

sawdusty1

I have a Husky 350 and it is one of my favorites because of it's light weight.  Put a rim sprocket on it and a professional chain.  Always check the torque of your muffler bolts.  They have been known to come loose and the muffler will burn a hole through the plastic crankcase.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

JohnG28

I picked mine up cheap a few months back. I made a project out of it and did some work to the engine, so it's a little more than a stocker, but it's a nice little saw. Light as heck with good power for it's size. Definitely watch the muffler bolts, I used some Loctite on mine. Have an 18" b/c in .325 on it and it cuts nice.

HolmenTree

Texas Rat , looking back at your original post about one saw for climbing and ground work I can only suggest the Husky 550XP , this saw can do it all.
So when your ready to sell the 350. ............
mines not for sale though :D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ianab

What the thread really shows is that there is NO "one size fits all" chainsaw.  :D

If there could be only one, I'd stick with my Dolmar 7900. Smaller saw simply wont do the job on bigger trees. Limbing with it, well you can, not the most practical, but you can. Climbing? Nah... But then I'm not into that.

As for getting an almost free Husky 350? It's a decent firewood sort of saw. Even if you buy a better saw later, keep it. See the recent thread with 2 saws stuck in a log? WHEN you get your new MS 362 stuck, being able to pull out the trusty 350 backup saw will save the day  ;)  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

brettl

Even though you've already bought... If I HAD to pick one, Stihl 036 Pro or the older version, the 034 Super. 61.5cc and about 11.5 pounds depending on whose numbers you look at. Negligible difference in power compared to the 390 and supposedly 1.5 lbs. lighter. I'd like to have one myself. It will be my next saw I think. Of course, these are the predecessors to the 360, 361, and 362. I like to find older, lightly used saws because of the price difference. Got my eye on a 034 Super here in town but he wants 300, I can find a good 036 Pro for that.

TheTexasRAT

Sawdusty1 and JohnG28,
I had done some research on this saw and also read the owners manual which all warn about the muffler coming lose. I thought to put blue loctite on the threads but for now I just used star washers and tighten them good and tight. I was thinking of getting a muffler that's exhaust port was in a different location than up top. Once I get the muffler style I prefer I'll loctite it up for sure.

Ianab,
my neighbor also gave me a Homelite XP Little Red Textron (not running), and a Poulan. My dad has a Stihl 390 and a Sears (a.k.a.- Poulan). The Homelite does not run but all the rest do, so I have 4 running saw at my disposal so I'm not worried about needing to cut a saw out. And even if I got all 4 stuck I could simply start removing the power-units from the bars & chains and then simply put on the spare bars and chains to cut my way out. So yes I know what you mean but no sweat as I can use the same saw I get stuck with my spare bar and chain to cut the first bar and chain loose.

Any-who, I got the sprocket ordered and will be able to do some tree cutting next week with it. The trees I plain to cut down have between 12" to 18" trunks, so I the Husqy should be able to far well doing start to finsh. I get back with the results.

cutter88

It would be a bad day if someone said I could only have one saw but it would be a 372 xpg husky I don't climb much at all so it would be perfect
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

gspren

Quote from: brettl on April 04, 2014, 12:37:01 AM
Even though you've already bought... If I HAD to pick one, Stihl 036 Pro or the older version, the 034 Super. 61.5cc and about 11.5 pounds depending on whose numbers you look at. Negligible difference in power compared to the 390 and supposedly 1.5 lbs. lighter. I'd like to have one myself. It will be my next saw I think. Of course, these are the predecessors to the 360, 361, and 362. I like to find older, lightly used saws because of the price difference. Got my eye on a 034 Super here in town but he wants 300, I can find a good 036 Pro here on AS for that.

Reading that last sentence it looks like you forgot which forum you were on.

schmeg

I'm on my 5th Husky now. Just bought a 562XP. After running the saw this week, I can't imagine a better we'll rounded choice if you want to keep a stock saw. All kinds of power. Very comfortable and light. This saw with an 18" and a 24" would do about anything you need it to for a 60 class saw.
2023 MS400
2014 562XP
2007 357XP (stolen)
2004 346XP
1997 350
1992 55

Timbercruiser

I would take my favorite saw of all time a 266 husqvarna . Light and better balance than any new saw im sad they ever stopped making this great saw  :)

brettl

Quote from: gspren on April 04, 2014, 08:55:58 AM
Quote from: brettl on April 04, 2014, 12:37:01 AM
Even though you've already bought... If I HAD to pick one, Stihl 036 Pro or the older version, the 034 Super. 61.5cc and about 11.5 pounds depending on whose numbers you look at. Negligible difference in power compared to the 390 and supposedly 1.5 lbs. lighter. I'd like to have one myself. It will be my next saw I think. Of course, these are the predecessors to the 360, 361, and 362. I like to find older, lightly used saws because of the price difference. Got my eye on a 034 Super here in town but he wants 300, I can find a good 036 Pro here on AS for that.

Reading that last sentence it looks like you forgot which forum you were on.

You're right, I did. My apologies to FF members and admins. for the brainfart. No disrespect meant. Thanks for setting me straight gspren.

7sleeper

I liked my Makita 5001=Dolmar 5000 with decompression valve in Makita blue. But now I have a Makita 420 & Oleo Mac 962 combo. If I only had one saw I would take a Dolmar 5105 again.

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: TheTexasRAT on April 04, 2014, 01:59:28 AMso the Husqy (Husqvarna 350) should be able to fare well doing start to finish. I get back with the results.

Well been a while but - the husky 350 was nice, except the carb setting screws would not hold their tune, and I did not like the clutch being in front of the chain (what a pain).

Anyway, so I gave it and all the rest of the saws that where in the barn, except the Stihl MS290, away and bought an MS250 with an 18" bar.

Fell three big trees [35"ers] and cut them up with no problems other than the trunks. Had to double cut the trunks from both sides. Also cut up many smaller trees, it did/does the job well enough.

Will most definitely want to port and muff mode it out one day. And perhaps then it can take a longer bar after doing so as well.

btulloh

You need a bigger saw.  And a pro saw.  figure out a way to get into a MS362, or a 441, or larger.  If you're gonna stick with 50cc, get the MS261.
HM126

realzed

I have had a 290 and liked it - since have purchased a 261 and found a great difference in weight and especially the balance and smoothness over the 290 version.  
I presently have a 20" bar with a .325 RS chain on it and it is pretty decent balance-wise even with the longer bar, but I would imagine with a 16" bar it would feel somewhat like a toy in comparison when it comes to portability in tight spaces.
With that chain and bar I have found it can be buried in pretty much any wood and still cut very decently with a good sharp chain - but it's no 60 or 70cc saw nor was it ever intended to try and be, nor again did I expect it to be.
I guess it could be rodded up some with a muffler or porting job - but 'as is' it is very impressive all things considered!
I don't climb - but with a short bar and its already small tight profile it wouldn't be hard to imagine it would be quite manageable and capable off the ground - certainly a lot better than most comparable saws in its class and the fact that with the CM version being fairly easy to start, it would also contribute to it being a decent choice to have to climb with.
You're certainly asking a lot of any saw to try and step up and do the job really requiring 3 different sizes or classes of saws - but if Stihl has one that could make a decent go at it, my guess would be that the 261cm would be that version, with an alternatively sized bar in reserve..
Just my own opinion - and like buttholes everyone has one, and as always, most everyone else's stinks in other's opinions..
The 250 is a nice little saw - pretty good power and weight, but doesn't have the pro grade build and long lasting quality or rebuildability of a pro series version, but I have heard great things about the way they can and do cut in appropriately sized wood.. and the price certainly is better than a pro grade unit without doubt!  
Almost an impossible decision, considering the limitations or expectations you have imposed upon yourself here though!

Banjo picker

If I had to get rid of all of them but one, I would keep the ms460.  You can run anything from a 20 to a 36 in bar on it. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Air Lad

Of the saw's I now own ms260c
If I were to buy 261 would be it

gspren

My "go to" saw has changed. When I was in my 40s and 50s my Stihl 044 was my most used saw but now in my late 60s the 261 is my most used due to an aging back and shoulders. I still use the 044 when bucking up a 20+ inch oak for fire wood but that 261 is sweet.

Banjo picker

The 261 is my go to saw as well, but if I could only have one it would be a little too small for some of my stuff.  I have an ole 044 that needs a spring in the trigger, but that thing makes my hands hurt from all the vibration. I need to give a shout out to the new sponcers and see if they have one. I bought it on a whim...too good a deal to pass up. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

lxskllr

Of saws I own, I guess it would be my 362. It can do 90% of what I need, but for light limbing, it would be uncomfortably heavy. If I bought a single saw, I'd probably get a 261. 50cc seems like a good size for a 'do everything' saw if such a thing exists. IMO, it doesn't. Anyone serious about cutting and does a variety of work should have two at least.

If I get to pick two saws of the ones I own, I could probably do everything with my cs400 and ms362. There's 1%-5% chance I could use something a bit bigger than the 362, but I could make do with that.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm absolutely not a climber but my goto saw is my MS261C-M, I keep it in my truck box and use it quite a lot for the weekend warrior that I am.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

hitter1

used to climb and trim for the power company up here in pa for quite awhile. i used stihl exclusively. i had a small 023 for up in the trees and an 0 34 on the ground . cimb and trim 12 trees min by noon spend next 4 aftr lunch mulchin up all the stuff we cut up . those stihls will take a beatin and keep on eatin!!!!!

Ianab

Only one saw? 
I'll keep my Dolmar 7900. Yeah it's overkill for the small stuff. But you can limb / prune with it, and if you get a ~50" tree, you can cut it. I can see why folks like the 50-60 cc saws if they have smaller trees, But a 30 year old pine here might be ~36", work out what a 70 year old one is.

But i'd still like a nice little 40cc saw for the "gardening" type stuff. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nebraska

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

donbj

Husky 262XP since early 90's. Has done a ton of work and never lets me down. Just came on a 2065 Turbo Jonsered 2000(edit) built, as new condition. I'd say how I got it but I don't think anyone would believe it,lol
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Skip

Thank You Sponsors!