iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna vs Stihl....POLL.

Started by ShaunUK, February 17, 2014, 07:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

huskyreds and stihl are close only 3 votes difference  :D :D 8) 8) 8)

cutter88

husky and johny fan right to heart but sadly when I moved down here I found neither had a dealer that was at all good for parts or service so I was forced to switch to STIHL 3 years ago im not a fan of how they rev so high and viberate but what I wil say is the parts and service at muskoka rent all is by far the best of ever seen!!!!! once my saw blew up they handed me a saw and said here use this no charge till ur new one is here in a week...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Den69RS96

Stihl is all I've ever used.  Are they the best?  I don't know and it doesn't matter to me.  They work when I need them.  Thats what matters to me.  Plus I'm familiar with the brand and working on a Stihl is pretty straight forward.  I know I can call my dealer and get what I need. 

I've never had any issues with the air filters getting clogged or anything like that.  I use my saws for yard maintenance and firewood.  If any of my saws are .025 secs slower bucking up a log than another brand,  I'm ok with that.   
Stihl ms250, ms361, ms046

ShaunUK

Quote from: Den69RS96 on February 26, 2014, 03:39:04 PM
Stihl is all I've ever used.  Are they the best?  I don't know and it doesn't matter to me.  They work when I need them.  Thats what matters to me.  Plus I'm familiar with the brand and working on a Stihl is pretty straight forward.  I know I can call my dealer and get what I need. 

I've never had any issues with the air filters getting clogged or anything like that.  I use my saws for yard maintenance and firewood.  If any of my saws are .025 secs slower bucking up a log than another brand,  I'm ok with that.
Hi and thanks for the reply, the thread isnt whats the best..its whats your best. This was to keep it unbiased, may be posting why its your best. With having so many members a pattern may have developed as to the reasoning why particular chainsaws were chosen, well that was my intention but maybe i worded it wrong, saying that though there does seem to be a dealer pattern emerging, cheers. :)
Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

Horselog

As far as what does Stihl have over Husky, in my area the answer is lots of good dealers.  I actually am not aware of a real Husky dealer close by but you can get them at big box stores, although they don't carry pro saws, which is what I use.  The Stihl dealer I work with is pretty large, and they used to carry Husky as well, but didn't sell enough so they got out of it.  There seems to be a little Stihl dealer in every little town, so it's easy to get parts and support.  Husky's seem to be good saws, I've run them a fair amount.  There's just no support around here.

I was also curious about the comments regarding the Husky 365 not having a Stihl comp.  The places I looked online had them listed for $700, 65.1 CC @4.5 HP, 13.2 lbs. http://www.husqvarna.com/asia/products-2526/chainsaws/365/#specifications
I'm not sure where everyone else is looking at Stihl models, and maybe I'm missing something, but the Stihl 362 is $699 at my dealer, it's 59.0 CC @4.6 HP, and 13.0 lbs.  (Slightly) more HP, (slightly) less weight, and the biggest item, it runs 5,000 RPM faster (14,000 vs. 9,000).  Granted, if you like Husky, then the power and weight difference will be manageable, but it does seem to me that this is quite a comparable saw, and that Stihl even has a slight edge, if you had to give one of them and edge.  Am I missing something?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

sawguy21

14,000 is at WOT no load. 9,000  is in the cut. Most pro saws run in that range give or take a few rpm's. I used to service some of the saws for a logging company, I found the Huskies required less maintenance so tended to favor them. Some crews ran 038's, I was frequently replacing mounts which was a pita and the air filters clogged with snow. Not a good design for our climate although I see it has been improved.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Horselog

I know it's not a big deal, but I find no reference to the 9,000 RPM being in the cut, it just lists "Max Speed" as 9000 RPM.  This is listed on several different websites, there is no higher speed rating i have found.  Am I missing something again?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

JohnG28

9k is where the engine develops max power, not max rpm. No doubt it will turn well above 10k free of load. The new 365s are 70cc, and with a fast simple mod become a 372xt. That is where the discrepancy becomes more apparent.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

woodrat

When I bought my first sawmill in 1995, I took my grand-dad's old 031AV that my dad had laying around into the local Stihl dealer to have it tuned up. They were obnoxious and rude and told me it was an old piece of crap that was not worth fixing and that I should buy a new saw from them. So I took half of their advice. I loaded up the Stihl, drove across town and bought a new Husky 51 from a much friendlier sales person. My dad still has the 031, but it just sits in the garage. Later an old logger sold me a beat up 288 for cheap, and I've been running mostly Huskies ever since. I do wish they had metal pull start covers like the old Stihls did. The pull start mechanism was the one thing I always had to hassle with on my Huskies.

I've been impressed with the Dolmar/Makita saws I've seen, though.

1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

Farmer Todd

I've ran stihl  husky Johnsonred Sachs  my first saw was a 550 homelite even like it. There are things I like about the husky,s over the. Stilh , like more logs on a tank of gas ( I'm old talking about 066 and 045 s. ) But I love the stihl wide nose bars so I run stihl

MWalker87

When I first started in the logging industry I ran 2 stihls a 361 and a 460 and now 5 years later I wouldn't run anything other than an equal size husky or jonsered they seem to be a better everyday use saw.

Maine logger88

Good to see you on here MWalker welcome to the forum!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

thecfarm

MWalker87,welcome to the forum. You have a skidder?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MWalker87

Did have a skidder sold it went carpentering now I am a chopper and wish I had never left the woods!

mikey517

Quote from: Horselog on March 03, 2014, 09:45:24 AM

I was also curious about the comments regarding the Husky 365 not having a Stihl comp.  The places I looked online had them listed for $700, 65.1 CC @4.5 HP, 13.2 lbs. http://www.husqvarna.com/asia/products-2526/chainsaws/365/#specifications
I'm not sure where everyone else is looking at Stihl models, and maybe I'm missing something, but the Stihl 362 is $699 at my dealer, it's 59.0 CC @4.6 HP, and 13.0 lbs.  (Slightly) more HP, (slightly) less weight, and the biggest item, it runs 5,000 RPM faster (14,000 vs. 9,000).  Granted, if you like Husky, then the power and weight difference will be manageable, but it does seem to me that this is quite a comparable saw, and that Stihl even has a slight edge, if you had to give one of them and edge.  Am I missing something?

From the URL posted, you're referencing the Husky site in Asia I think. I just got a 365 X-Torq just before Christmas. It's a 70.1cc , 4.9hp saw built on the same platform as the 372XP X-Torq. with a Dremel tool and a little skill, you can turn it into a 5.6 hp 372 XP, and I paid $700. OTD with 24" bar.

I had the 362 in my hand, but this was a much better deal IMHO.

ShaunUK

Hi folks, thanks for all the replies and thousands of views. Well looks like Stihl and Husky are liked the best - ::) so no surprise there. A good thread to read for new customers not quite sure on which make to choose, sticking to Husky myself and i may have 2 more to add to my collection, a Husky 65L and a Husky 65, one having a chain brake. Just about to purchase a welder aswell as i have around 10 old 15kg gas bottles to turn into log burners, great for barbys-camping-garage etc, free heat, and with a hot plate welded on top free cooking aswell, all the more reason to go and buy a chainsaw. ;) :) :)

Weekend_Sawyer

A couple of weekends ago we cut a large blow down that was on the edge of an old graveyard.

There were 7 of us and everyone brought Stihl chainsaws except one and he said his next saw would be a Stihl. I asked around and everyone basically said that Stihl is the brand their fathers used or buddies use. It's the brand that they feel is the best.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ryan D

In the past few years I've owned Husky 346, 357, 372, 365, 550, 562 Stihl 260, 261, 362, 440, 441 and a few Jonsereds. Other than a few minor things I couldn't really complain about any of those saws. They all broke down at some point but they are used professionally. I am a Husky guy at heart but that's mostly because when I take a saw into my local shop I can walk in through the back doors, put the saw on the bench and their mechanic drops whatever he is working on and looks at my saw. I buy a lot of stuff there  :) I'm also more comfortable working on Husqvarnas.

That being said when I need a new saw I'll still pop into the Stihl shop and check the prices. If they can beat the Husky dealer by a good margin I'll be walking out of there with a new saw.

ShaunUK

Quote from: Ryan D on March 20, 2014, 09:13:55 AM
In the past few years I've owned Husky 346, 357, 372, 365, 550, 562 Stihl 260, 261, 362, 440, 441 and a few Jonsereds. Other than a few minor things I couldn't really complain about any of those saws. They all broke down at some point but they are used professionally. I am a Husky guy at heart but that's mostly because when I take a saw into my local shop I can walk in through the back doors, put the saw on the bench and their mechanic drops whatever he is working on and looks at my saw. I buy a lot of stuff there  :) I'm also more comfortable working on Husqvarnas.

That being said when I need a new saw I'll still pop into the Stihl shop and check the prices. If they can beat the Husky dealer by a good margin I'll be walking out of there with a new saw.
Hi there, looks like you wont be walking out there with a Stihl then........ ;D ;D

ShaunUK

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 20, 2014, 06:23:11 AM
A couple of weekends ago we cut a large blow down that was on the edge of an old graveyard.

There were 7 of us and everyone brought Stihl chainsaws except one and he said his next saw would be a Stihl. I asked around and everyone basically said that Stihl is the brand their fathers used or buddies use. It's the brand that they feel is the best.
Well thats what the poll reflects, but id say that at least 70% of tree surgeons around here use Husky. Stihl tends to be more farm/homeowners use around here and Husky the preffered choice for the pros.

NS logging

In 1998 when I started logging professionally, I did some research on what brand of saw to go with.  Nothing compared with Stihl in terms of power to weight ratio.  I think having more cutting capability with less weight to lug all day is as important as anything.  You aren't limited by how much your skidder will pull--you are limited on production by how long each day you can operate the saw and hook choker cables.   If you accept the premise that a heavier saw will tire you quicker, then Stihl would be your choice

weimedog

Here is what the manufacturers claim on their websites...a quick over view using lowest price points in the model line:

50cc class:
Stihl MS261:  11.6lbs, 50.5cc, 3.75hp, $670
Husqvarna 550xp: 10.8lbs, 50.1cc, 3.75hp, $575

60cc class:
Stihl MS362: 13.21lbs, 59cc, 4.7hp, $800
Husqvarna 562XP: 12.57lbs, 59.8cc, 4.7hp, $725

70cc class:
Stihl MS441: 14.6lbs, 70.7cc, 5.6hp, $950 or MS460: 14.6lbs, 76.5cc, 6.0hp, $1059.95
Husqvarna 372XP: 13.4lbs, 70.7cc, 5.5hp, $850 or 576XP: 14.9lbs, 73.5cc, 5.7hp, $950

80-90cc class:
Stihl MS660: 16.5lbs, 91.6cc, 7hp, $1150
Husqvarna 390XP: 15.6lbs, 88cc, 6.5hp, $1050

AND have to figure in actual cost at dealers as some will work with you on prices and some won't. BOTH brands have proven over time their products are professional level saws. SO price/performance? Power to weight? How about dollars per horsepower?  My math runs out when I get past ten fingers....so you guys will have to figure all that stuff out... :D

AND then the mid level saws..

Stihl 391 vs. 365? What about the Husqvarna 555 and 545 vs Stihl counter parts in mid range saws? Construction/performance/price comparo's don't have the time but it might be fun to do and stir the pot. Can't go wrong with ANY of the saws listed on this entire post, in my humble opinion. Bottom line from my perspective? The brand with the best dealer in your area is where you should go if your a pro. That makes SO much difference over the long haul.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

As general information Makita for all intents is a Dolmar in blue clothing .I was more partial to red myself .

ahlkey

I believe with the Dolmar 7900 at 79cc, 6.2hp, and 13.9 lbs has one of the best ratios around.  The 395XP at 94cc & 7.1hp is not terrible either but at 17.4 lbs it is rather heavy. I have both the 395xp & Stihl 660 saws for cutting big timber but the 7900 Dolmar is easy my favorite as best all-around (all day) saw.

Al_Smith

FWIW often times now just as in the past manufacturers HP ratings are missleading and often inaccurate .

If you cut through all the smoke and mirrors not much as really changed in over thirty years .Back then it was slightly more than one HP per cubic inch as for all intents it is today .

Thank You Sponsors!