iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stair tread caps

Started by coalsmok, December 01, 2015, 10:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

I need to dress up the stairs into our basement. The treads are made of 2x pine lumber and are looking rough. I have left this on the back burner but haven't found a oak that will yield 12"wide quarter sawn treads yet 😀. Rather than replace the entire tread I would like to do something like the 1/2" tread caps that lowes sells out of white oak.
  What would be the easiest what to join the edges of my boards together?  The ones at lowes use a finger joint, but would a straight edge be strong enough?  I would have to buy any router bit needed but compared to the cost of pre made ones that's fairly cheap and I will still have it for other projects down the road.

yukon cornelius

I have been tongue and groove joining a LOT lately.  I bought a set of router bits on ebay for around $30 total with shipping included and I have put lots of lumber through them. they are holding up very well. I pass the edges over a joiner first to make sure I start with a true edge.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

After doing a good bit of T&G during this past couple of years, I could see an application for gluing.  It almost doubles the surface.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coalsmok

Yukon do you care to share the brand of the bits you bought. I was planing on buying a set of tounge and groove cutters anyway. I am just wondering if there is enough benefit to the finger joint for glue ups to justify its purchase.

yukon cornelius

There is no brand on them. The ebay item number is 141544294506. I bought the 4 piece set 1/2" shank tongue and groove and car siding set. The tongue and groove is set for 3/4 inch material and I have been making multiple passes when joining up to 2inch material. I have ran quite a bit through them and even been using them for cutting grooves for other projects an its working very well. My 4 piece set was 50 is dollars. The 2 piece set is around 30. For me it was well spent. The car siding on the other hand wad a mistake on my part. It clearly states it is for 1 1/4" material and not the 3/4 I expected. There is nothing wrong with them but the wrong size for what I wanted. So its not a fancy name brand......I am here to say I was not dissappointed. I thought I wanted to try with a lesser cost bit to see if tongue and groove would fit my joining needs. I can't imagine needing anything for a long time.

The best part for me is the lessened clamp time. Some projects never get clamped. I glue, fit together, check the joint and let it sit.

If that number doesn't work to find it let me know and I will try to get a link for you to check.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

coalsmok

Thanks Yukon the number worked.  I have been looking at the bits from that seller and wondered if they were any good. Think after Christmas I will order some from him. A little birdie says I'm getting a 1/2" router for Christmas.

Thank You Sponsors!