iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress mantle

Started by underwaterlogger, December 09, 2015, 01:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

underwaterlogger

Yesterday I was standing next to my LT15 and saw a piece of drop I knew could be trimmed into something great. I cut it down to 3 inches thickness, then examined it and decided I could get more definition if I cut another half inch off. This slab is 2.5 inches thick 16 inches wide over 7 ft and has 7 amazingly beautiful colors. I sold it a few hours later to a gentleman wanting to build a mantle for his home. Hope I can get a picture of his finished product to post later.
Mobile Dimension circular mill, Woodmizer LT15, Granberg, 50 hp John Deere, 28x9 all aluminum barge, homemade kiln, a ton of chainsaws, scuba gear, scuba certification, and a ton of muscle is how I get it done.

underwaterlogger

Mobile Dimension circular mill, Woodmizer LT15, Granberg, 50 hp John Deere, 28x9 all aluminum barge, homemade kiln, a ton of chainsaws, scuba gear, scuba certification, and a ton of muscle is how I get it done.

fishpharmer

Lucky fellow, who got a beautiful mantle piece.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DeerMeadowFarm

mesquite buckeye

I like it. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

I am really enjoying your pictures!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

underwaterlogger

Farmerjw

The logs that are coming out of the swamp/from underwater, how soon do you have to saw them and what do you have to do to stop them from cracking to pieces as they dry down?  (if you don't mind me asking)
Premier Bovine Scatologist

underwaterlogger

I like to saw logs within about 10 days of being out of water. If I can't cut it in this timeframe I store them in the shade and this helps a bit. As far as drying I've found the sun is the biggest problem so I store the wood in a dark shed or after I sticker I wrap the bundle with a breathable cloth this slows drying and also keeps the sun off.

Farmerjw

I know with turning bowls and green wood that many throw the bowl in the shavings in a brown paper bag and the shavings help slow drying/cracking.  I was envisioning you throwing sawdust over the boards as they were stacked and stickered (like the old ice shack days!).
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Thank You Sponsors!