iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Faces in a Table

Started by WDH, December 14, 2015, 08:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I built a farm table for my friend Larry's wife out of red oak.  She wanted it rustic.  I pulled out the boards and looked at several ways to match the grain, then noticed that there were several boards, if bookmatched, that showed a figure of what looked like a face to me.  The first one that I noticed was a sleepy Hoot Owl.

I kept experimenting, and found a sleepy Grinch.

The last one looked a bit like a monkey to me, or maybe a goldfish staring you in the face.

Here is a view of the completed table wet with the first coat of tung oil.  The sleepy Grinch is in the right foreground.

This was a 9 1/2 foot long table, 42" wide.  You can land a small plane on it.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Danny, I see some nice legs..Did you finally get yourself a lathe ? Nice  8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I love the Goldfish.  :D

Good job Danny.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

The legs came from Osborne Wood Products in Toccoa, GA.  Sorry Wayne, no lathe  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Very nice.  Were the holes filled, and how? 

Don't let Marty Parsons see it, or he will be trying to do a touch and go landing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

I love that table! I try to bookend every chance I get. When i point it out to customers and explain how it works they all seem to think its so neat. I also like looking for face type characteristics. Those little things make people fall even more in love with their new piece. I am not real familiar with tung oil but have been trying some here and there. I did a cutting board tonight with it. I think I need more polishing with it because it keeps looking dull. 4- coats and letting it soak in a long time before wiping off excess. I read it could use a polish with steel wool between coats to shine it.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

beenthere

Steel wool will leave very fine pieces of steel embedded in the fine pores of the wood.
I would use wet/dry very fine sandpaper to sand the surface while the oil is wet and before wiping off.
Getting a fine finish is a lot of hard hand work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

Nice table and a nice touch with the book matching.

You southerners like big rugged heavy tables. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

Mooseherder

Beautiful!

Please pass or slide over the Jelly. ;D

WDH

I did not fill the beetle tracks and beetle holes.  And, I did not fill small knot holes to add to the rustic character that she wanted.  I did fill the eye slits in the hoot owl and the Grinch by using walnut sanding dust and wood glue to make a dough.  I wanted the eye slits to be dark.  After they were sanded down, they turned out nice. 

It was all Larry and I could do to get the table top into the house.  That thing weighed a bunch.  I told him that if he ever moved, he would have to leave the table with the house   :)

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Dodgy Loner

I saw an alien where you saw an owl :D

Can't believe you still don't have a lathe. Nothing like getting all covered in shavings. Best part is when you're turning in shorts and get your shoes filled up ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

mesquite buckeye

I'm betting that you can put your elbows on that table and not worry about annoying others with wiggling the drinks.
;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

I like it. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jemclimber

Very nice table Danny!!!

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on December 15, 2015, 09:14:07 AM
Best part is when you're turning in shorts and get your shoes filled up ;)
If you turn in shorts you might as well be wearing sandals as well.  :D
lt15

mesquite buckeye

Those sandals are fine right up until that bunch of scorpions comes rolling out of the log. :-\ :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

You get scorpions in a log on the lathe ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Right before the log blows up. ;D

mesquite buckeye

We have very special logs.  ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Sometimes we get bees instead.

Or lizards.

Or black widows. :(

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Jemclimber on December 15, 2015, 01:19:52 PM
Very nice table Danny!!!

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on December 15, 2015, 09:14:07 AM
Best part is when you're turning in shorts and get your shoes filled up ;)
If you turn in shorts you might as well be wearing sandals as well.  :D

Better make da#% sure you don't drop a gouge on your foot :o
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Had a local turner in his 70's that got beat'n up by his lathe recently. The wood became a projectile. :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on December 15, 2015, 03:33:03 PM
Better make da#% sure you don't drop a gouge on your foot :o

Dat must be Yooper talk for DanG   ;D
south central Wisconsin

yukon cornelius

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 15, 2015, 03:02:35 PM
We have very special logs.  ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Sometimes we get bees instead.

Or lizards.

Or black widows. :(

You are not alone. nothing better than putting a log on the mill and getting scorpion stung just as you reach under to flip it around. Or a lizard running up your leg, or copperheads rolling out of hollows.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!