iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whiskey Barrel Coffee Table

Started by Bill Gaiche, December 19, 2015, 07:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

I have seen these and thought they were pretty cool and I wanted to make one. So I was able to purchase a 30 gallon whiskey barrel. Smaller than the ones I had seen but what the heck, smaller might be ok. It wasn't going to be for myself anyway. It has a Walnut base and top. Finished with lacquer finish.

lowpolyjoe

Ljohnsaw

Beautiful, Hard to tell from the pictures, is that coffee table height or is it a dinning table?  Are you going to make another out of the other half?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bill Gaiche

John, its 18" heigh. 34" wide x 25" deep. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Saw the first picture and thought that it was cool but wanted to see the char in the white oak.  Thought man that would be cool with glass on top but the top you put on it was really nice.  Then saw the pic with the piano hinge and the view of the char and it was so nice.  Great job! 

Magicman

Bill, your projects are always "over the top", and this is no exception.  Very Nice.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

That is a really nice job. That is some pretty walnut you selected for the top. 8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Red Good

Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

cbla

kettlekorn

Very nice and unique.  Another outstanding project from members of this forum.
EZ Boardwalk Jr , Kubota L3800,  250 acre farm

beenthere

Ran across this article by James Broyhill.. other things from old barrels.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/james-broyhill/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodey

Nice Whiskey Barrel Coffee Table. :)
That is on my bucket list of items to build.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave H.

nice! i bet it still smells good too!

Ljohnsaw

No one else asked, so...  I've never seen the inside of a charred barrel before.  What are the parallel "clean" lines and the checkerboard area, what's with that? ???
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bill Gaiche

I am not sure about all the inside. I believe that with the holes and saw cuts, it allows for more contact area for the whiskey to do its thing. I am sure there is some brewers can help out on that question.
     It still had a very strong whiskey smell and the yellow jackets and nats like it. bg

Darrel

Wow! I never would have thought that you could make something so lovely starting with an old barrel!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

GAB

Bill:
Three questions:
Why did you use the portion of the barrel with the bung hole in it?
And what size barrel did you start with, diameter, height, and gallons?
How high is the table off of the floor?
TIA
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: GAB on December 26, 2015, 12:05:40 PM
Bill:
Three questions:
Why did you use the portion of the barrel with the bung hole in it?
And what size barrel did you start with, diameter, height, and gallons?
How high is the table off of the floor?
TIA
Gerald
Quote from: Bill Gaiche on December 19, 2015, 07:42:09 PM
I have seen these and thought they were pretty cool and I wanted to make one. So I was able to purchase a 30 gallon whiskey barrel. Smaller than the ones I had seen but what the heck, smaller might be ok. It wasn't going to be for myself anyway. It has a Walnut base and top. Finished with lacquer finish.
Quote from: Bill Gaiche on December 19, 2015, 10:12:49 PM
..., its 18" height. 34" wide x 25" deep. bg

Thirty gallon barrels are about 24" in diameter and with his table top overlap, he got his 25" wide.  The barrel is probably 32" long if the finished table is 34".  I think the bung hole just ended up there when he aligned the logo on the barrel end the way he wanted it to look - I would have done the same.  Plus, you can sweep out all the junk easier  ;)
John Sawicky

Bill Gaiche

GAB, 30 gal. Roughly 31 inches tall. 21.5 inches wide at widest point. Barrel Head is 18 inches. That hole is going to show in one of the two halves, so I chose it in this half. The next table will have no barrel bung. I sold it for $300.00 before I had it finished it. The same person wants the other half when I get around to making it. bg

GAB

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on December 29, 2015, 07:27:27 AM
GAB, 30 gal. Roughly 31 inches tall. 21.5 inches wide at widest point. Barrel Head is 18 inches. That hole is going to show in one of the two halves, so I chose it in this half. The next table will have no barrel bung. I sold it for $300.00 before I had it finished it. The same person wants the other half when I get around to making it. bg

Bill:
Thanks for the reply and I wish you and everyone on this forum a very prosperous and healthy New Year.  Now go and write 2016 for the year for the next 40 checks.  I also need to do that.
I also think you are giving your customer a very good deal price wise.
Just out of curiosity how did you cut the barrel?
Does someone supply hacksaw blades that will run in a sawmill?
I have sawed some 15 gallon plastic barrels with the mill. Just need to go slow.   
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Bill Gaiche

Gab, I put a strap around the barrel first. Used a thin metal cutting grinding disc 1/16" on my grinder to cut the bands at the half way point. Before I cut it I added some screws thru the band ends near the cut so it would not come apart. After cutting the band, I released the strap. Then I removed the ends and sawed them in half on my cross slide compound miter saw. Then I started putting it all back together. bg

GAB

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!