iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved!!!!!!! Do You Know Your Pines?

Started by WDH, April 23, 2007, 10:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Hmmm.  Looks like a couple of Longleaf cones growing on the meristem of a young Slash pine.  Most unusual. ;D

OR, could that be one of the hybrid pines?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Nope.  Not a hybrid.  Not a longleaf or a slash.  Grows further north.......
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Could it be a Virginia Pine?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Sprucegum

WDH

No, not virginia pine.  Not Jack either, Sprucegum.  Here is another pic with a couple of other clues evident in the pic.  Can you find them?

sprucebunny

Table Mountain Pine ???

( I looked in a book ;D )
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Solved by Sprucebunny 8)...That is what books are for ;).  Have you ever seen it in the wild?  The second clue in the post shows the mountain in the background.  It only grows at highter elevations.  Here are a couple of other pics.  The first is of a large tree on the mountain top.  Notice the cluster of cones on the branches.  The cones have no stems; they grow right out of the wood.  The large, downward pointing spines are diagnostic of table mountain pine (Pinus pungens).  Funky looking.  Also, the needles are in two's and are short, stout, and twisted.

Good going, SB :P ::).

sprucebunny

If it grows along the Blue Ridge Parkway, I've seen it.

Two needles, persistant cones and north of north Florida narrowed it down.

The first picture, the cones look like Sand Pine but it doesn't grow N. of FL.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Yes, it grows along the Blue Ridge for sure.  The teeth/spines on the lower third of the cone are very large and point downward.  They look like tongues to me ::).  Sand pine cones are much smaller and the spines on the cones are small and pointed.

This is a species that most people will never encounter unless they go the the Appalachain mountains.  Hopefully, if you see it now, you will know what it is ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!