iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resawing old beams

Started by W5E2J, April 11, 2019, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W5E2J

I thought I would tap the experience of many of you. I have an old (pre civil war) barn on the home place that is not being used and is slowly deteriorating. It is made of hand hewn pine logs 12"x 8" varying lengths. I am thinking (way in advance) about recycling the logs for paneling and other high end uses. I had experience with this about 35 years ago using old beams from a factory in my house and I know something about the issue of metal in the wood. Those beams were sawn on a circular mill and did not have near the metal that I expect these beams to have. I have owned a Turner manual mill for many years and am quite comfortable handling the wood to get the maximum use out of it.

My question is what kind of blades would you recommend for this wood.  I know what nails can do to a blade and wonder if there are any more durable options out there? It appears that carbide blades may not be a good option. I welcome any suggestions and insights you have.  Thanks  Willie Jones - Central VA

terrifictimbersllc

I use 4 degree doublehard Woodmizer bands, 0.045 x 1-1/4", for all beam re-sawing. Most often these are 100+ year old SYP or white oak.   I expect that turbo 7's would work too, but dont use these much for beams.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

I would say 4's in your situation. However, those beams are worth a lot more as a beam than as a sawn product. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

W5E2J

So how would you propose that we go about selling them. The reason I ask is there is a place just outside of Lynchburg with hundreds of old factory beams that are in better shape than mine and are sitting exposed to the weather. I have wondered why they could not be sold. Thanks for the insight. W. Jones

jimparamedic

If you have a place to store them in the dry. I would only saw them as the they are sold so you can custom saw what a person is wanting. Mantles, flooring, fake beams, ect ect

btulloh

Even though there's a big market for beams and reclaimed lumber right now, it's difficult for an individual to connect with the right buyer.  Take a look at Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and you'll see lot's of listings.

The volume sales are driven by designers and architects and that tends to go through companies that specialize in acquiring and preparing the reclaimed material for the end use.  The labor required and the overhead is what makes the value so high.  But someone needing x amount of a certain material can select and order what they need to complete the job, just as if they were going to a lumber yard.  

I visited and interesting company in Amelia last week that specializes in reclaimed lumber and material.  

https://www.keystonevintagelumber.com/

Additonal photos of Keystone

They also have a location in TN.  The owner recently moved the operation from Lancaster, PA.  I didn't get the full story on the how and why of the change.  PA has some of the best old barns around.  

BTW - they do buy material from people.  I don't know the particulars about that, but they'll be paying low and selling high after they de-nail, clean, wire brush, and connect with a buyer.  They have a contact form on the website.

HM126

Southside

One of the issues out there with the "back yard" reclaimed sellers is the lack of heat treatment / sterilization 
with the material they are selling.  Beams are kept outside, under part cover and can get full of carpenter bees.  
Had a customer bring me some reclaimed pine last year that he paid top dollar for, he needed me to 
flatten it for him for a table he was making.  One cut into it and 15 or so bees came rolling out of it.

So - properly treated and marketed they bring a very good price, even de-nailed and on a trailer will bring
at least $2 / BF to a retailer. 

This is my thread on thread on the bee pine.  Bees

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ed_K

I have some factory beams that I used for foundation timbers in my old sugar house. I removed them when I rebuilt and didn't reuse them cause we found they were painted with lead paint.
Ed K

btulloh

Bees, PPB, and lead paint - good point.  Heat treating is mandatory unless you like critters.

Southside, you might want to stop by Keystone if you're up in Amelia.  It's an interesting operation.  The owner is right chatty if he's not tied up with a customer.  We had a nice chat while a friend of mine was looking for mantle.  
HM126

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Wallys World

W5E2J    I've wondered about that place also, you are talking right near Sheetz? There is a place right around the corner from where I work that processes old beams into mantle, tables flooring even casket sides. I guess you just need the right connections to get it to be saleable.    
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

W5E2J

Yes that is the place I was talking about. A lot of lumber there. 

Southside you make a very good point about the insects. This wood is every bit of 160 years old but I do not know what insect problems it may have if any. The only bees I remember in the barn were the bumblebees in the loft when we would be putting hay int it. :D  All of this information is very useful and I will need to look at the condition of the beams more to see if it worth the effort.

Another question, does a product like timber work to protect the wood from insects? 

Thanks to all of you for your useful replies. W. Jones

Thank You Sponsors!