iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Plott Hound coming

Started by 54Dutchman, February 20, 2012, 08:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54Dutchman

In about a week a new puppy will be added to my varmint hunting pack 8) 8) 8) a Plott Hound ;D ;D She comes from a long line of bear, mountain lion, and raccoon hunters.  We do not have bear or mountain lions but a lot of raccoons :) :)  This year's talley is up to 10 raccoons that were treed.

Dan_Shade

a pup is always a nice addition to a household.

I have a black and tan, he's excellent at baying his food bowl  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

right now, my stinky companion is taking up some real estate doing his second favorite thing:  sleeping
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Hounds are experts at sleeping  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecol

chain

We're trying to survive an 8 week old english springer spaniel. Finally transfered him from house to pen but this little fellow is the birdiest pup, on our daily forays around the houselot he piles right in to the shrubs and vines and goes to huntin'. Don't think he knows what he's lookin' for yet.

mooleycow

walter, hank. and rebel came to sar training last weekend(of course they brought their handlers with them) beautiful hardworking bloodhounds.  ain't seen none any purtier.  in nc bloodhounds is the only dogs evidence that is admissable in a court of law. they got a beautiful voice. love hunting people, especially with blood hounds. nccert.org

metalspinner

We have a Black and Tan.  She can hunt a soccer ball with the best of 'em. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Woodwalker

I use to have some Plotts. Smart and gutsy dogs. I hunted squirrels, deer and coons all with the same dogs. 
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Ron Scott

Great bear dogs with courage, strength, and stamina.
~Ron

WildDog

Congrats on the new pup, not many hounds down this way. We lost one of our livestock working dogs to snake bite a couple of weeks back :( and will need to replace her, plus the house dog, a labrador has just come on heat, could be a few pups kicking about soon :) I love pups
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

BrothersMule

I have a Plott mix as a house dog and she has been great. Thy are the NC state dog developed here by the Plott Family. Very tough loyal dogs. I have a cousin that raises Plotts and Catahollas(?) for hog hunting. I have yet to see one back away form a Hog no matter the size. The drive and determination of these animals is something a lot of people could learn from.

I also get to coon hunt over a couple English Red and Blue Tics. A couple weeks ago we killed 8 in about 5 hours. One of the best hunts i have ever been on. One of the red females was actually winning the Walker Days Tournament last week in NC by about 250 points when she was disqualified for hitting on a opossum.

For me just getting to see the dogs work is the fun part. Anything after that is just extra.

sawguy21

Plott hound ??? Never heard of the breed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Briefly, this hound was brought from Germany back in the middle 18th century by a man named Jonathan Plott. The breed was originally thought to have been used in leopard hunting.

Plott settled in North Carolina, and discovered that his hounds were almost ideal for hunting the black bears in that region and the adjacent Great Smokies.

In the Great Smokies and Cherokee National Forest of Tennessee, where the Plott hound has made their reputation, they are used on both bear and wild boars.
~Ron

Patty

The breed was recently allowed into the Westminster Dog show; AKC recognized the breed in 2006.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Corley5

I had a Plott hound named babe for a few years.  I picked her up as a stray north of Mt Clemens when I was working construction.  She hung around the job for a over a week and after a few days I bought a bag of food for her.  When we went home for a weekend I packed her into the truck.  She had a raging case of heart worm which she survived the treatment for and lived with us for several years until her wandering ways got her hit by car  :'( :'( :(  She was good dog.  She's buried under a big rock along a woodline where she liked to hunt.  The vet said she was probably an escaped kennel dog judging by the wire wear on her teeth.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

54Dutchman

I finally got to pickup the new pup 8) 8) 8) She is everything I wanted; Nice size 23#'s @ 10 weeks, a brown brindle color and full of energy ;D ;D ;D

I named her Bringo for her color and energy ;D ;D ;D.  I was told a long time ago never to give your dog a name that you would be embrassed to yell out your back door in the middle of the night :D :D :D

Magicman

And also something unique that she will learn and recognize.  You did well.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

54Dutchman

She knows her name real good by now ;D  but you have to laugh when her head tells her to take a corner and the rest of her body does keep up and wipeout  :D :D :D :D

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

thecfarm

We got a puppy back in Oct. Just a small mutt. The wife wanted her. Snow is starting to melt and she has it in her head she has to go on the snow. Have fun with Bringo.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

saltydog

Now that is a pretty plott.Be carefull hounds are very addicting  :).When i met my current wife i lived alone in my cabin..with my pack of bear-coon-cat hounds.I had 32 hounds the first time she came to my place.still cant belive it didnt scare her off.It was awsome i hunted every day and night you could.I ran a guide service for bear.My first child changed that.i still have 4 one female bloodhound a female treeingwalker and 2 beagles.That sure brings the puppy training days back.Enjoy her.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Thank You Sponsors!