iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Protecting Farm Animals - What to do?

Started by Kirk_Allen, May 02, 2005, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnlogger

kirk when we had cattle we ha trouble eith dogs my cure was a donkey. If you've never seen a donkey or mule after a pac of dogs you are missing some fun.  ;D donks and mules hate dogs.
gene

Doc

Kirk, I know you are having to think hard about this, and woudl rather find the owners as opposed to shooting them but you are in a situation where you have to think about your family as well as yourself. If you get hemmed up between those two (or more if htere are more), and have no weapon....you may be gone or your family member may be gone or seriously hurt.

If the owner cared for his animals he would keep them penned up. Unfortunately for the dogs, he doesn't care enough abouthteir well being to take care of them, and now you have to think hard about you and yours. In the end it is you or them.......no way around it. I woudl not bother with finding the owners if it was more than a small effort.

I am a dog lover, adn it really troubles me to have to say any of this, but some people just should not have a dog for a pet. It is just like taking care of a kid in the sense of having to feed them, vet them, keep them safe, and raise them right. Not easy but worth it if done right. I hate the idea of you having to take them out, but in your situation I woudl not hesitate. The dogs have gone wild, and now must go.

Just do as you intend and make it quick for the animals. They would not hesitate to take you out if they thought they could take you.

Good luck!

Doc

Bro. Noble

Asi,

A good gun is one of the first farm tools that you will need to obtain and learn to use.  If you only have one gun,  I would reccomend an over-under .22 mag and 20 ga mag.  I keep one of those tlose handy all the time.  They are fairly in expensive, simple to use,  and reliable.  With birdshot,  buckshot, and slugs for the 20 ga.  you are prepared for just about anything.

Kirk, 

Think twice about talking to anyone about stray dogs-----before or after you shoot them.  If you are squeemish (as I am)  use a 12 ga with 00 buck. 

We had a pitbull cross that roamed the neighborhood a while back.  The first time I saw it,  friends were visiting and he asked if I wanted him to shoot that dog.  He said everyone and his brother had been trying to kill it.  I told him he might be mistaken,  that it looked like the neighbor's dog.  Well it seems like I was the only one around that wasn't trying to kill it so it took up residence on our place.  I finally had to shoot it and three pups------that was really hard,  but necessary as it became apparent.

This is one of the unpleasant things about living in the country.  Don't think about it (or talk about it) just do it :-\
milking and logging and sawing and milking

OneWithWood

When I was a kid growing up in farm country it was not unusual to see a dog collar hanging from a fence post.  Some times it was the dog.  There was an unwritten law that roaming dogs were not appreciated and would be dispatched.  Hanging the collar on the post was a way of letting an owner know to quit looking or waiting for the dog to come home.
Nowadays things have changed and letting someone know you have dispatched their pet can cause all kinds of problems.  Even trapping a dog using the animal control's traps causes problems.  There is a lot to be said for SSS, unfortunately.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

Kirk
IMO, I wouldn't say much about this to anyone that is a neighbor. If you can get a picture of the dogs to take to the suspected neighbor, then you have some evidence that they can see and can take action to keep their dogs home. If you have to take out one of their dogs, and they think it was you who did it, then you (in this day and age) may have some unnecessary trouble on your hands and end up in court.

A few years back, I tried to get a shot at the neighbors rottweiler a couple times, but couldn't (he would bare his teeth and growl if confronted in my yard which he visited everyday). Then all of a sudden it quit coming around. I was visited by the neighbor (not a first class citizen by any stretch) and accused of taking out his dog. I could honestly say I didn't, but knew at that point that they didn't know where it went.
Years later, I found out that a different neighbor took it out. He did the SSS routine.

More years ago, (when we had city dog problems) a neighbor lady called to say there was a big dog killing her banty hens and roosters. I drove over and saw an Irish Setter in the pen and it started running for the city. I honked and chased that dog for a couple miles and was seeing it running across yards but managed to keep up with it. It disappeared behind a house and I didn't see it anymore, so backed up and drove in the yard. It was in a dog house behind the house. A lady came out of the house next door and asked what I wanted. I asked if that dog was hers and she proudly said yes (it was a very nice looking Irish Setter). I told her what had just happened, and she became very indignant that it wasn't possible. I said simply, if it comes back again we would try to shoot it.
Shortly thereafter, it was back killing the banty's, so this time I grabbed the gun, shot it and loaded it into the trunk of the car. Dumped it off in her driveway (there was a chicken feather still stuck in its mouth), and she was irate, and threatened to call the sherriff. I said go ahead, and left. Never heard any more, and the banty's were not bothered after that. I can tell you, I did not enjoy one bit of shooting that pretty dog. But took care of the problem.  Now-a-day, that might not work so well, and I might be in big trouble and on the wrong side of the "law".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

I once had a neighbor who had a whole pack of dang dogs.  these were the ones I talked about that got to coming around, whipping my dog, eating his feed, and growling a my kids.  One morning just as they started out the door them dogs started growling.  They run back inside and I grabbed the old double barrel.  The only shot I had handy was bird shot but you'd be surprised how many shots I got off and how quick.  I don' reckon them bird shot killed none of em, but peppered and wounded some of em pretty bad.  I was really wishing I'd a had buckshot.

Late that evening the Sheriff knocked on my door.  He said the neighbor said I'd been shooting his dogs, and I couldn't do that and could be charged with it.  I noticed he was looking down and I looked down too.  There lay all them empty shells I'd shot that morning.

I seriously started laughing and told the sheriff to go back and tell that neighbor that if his dogs came back in my yard the next time it'd be buckshot.  I told him to tell him if he had me arrested or charged I was gonna sue him for everything he had for them dogs threating my kids.  I told him to tell that neighbor I was gonna want a jury trial if I was charged and I dared him to find a jury that would convict me.  I wasn't smart alec o him, I was just calmly stating facts.

The sheriff left and stopped at the neighbors.  I don't know what he did with his dogs but he got rid of em that very same night.  Later after things had calmed down I loaded up my kids and we went over there and I explained myself, and why.  We actually would up being pretty good friends and though he later did get some dogs, they never bothered me. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Buzz-sawyer

A tad bit off subject but.................
This all reminds me of the bizzare and wierd turns the world have made in regards to animal RIGHTS.
City people have passed MANY laws that make it a "ABUSE" felony to kill an animal. Like a horse or dog.......The oly legal way is to pay for a PROFFESSIONAL to do it.
I am frustrated with it!
I know a guy several years ago who bought a sickly , blind and foundered pony at an auction. He intended to butcher it and feed it to his foxes that he raised for fur.
He did so and put it in an old freezer.
Well, a do gooder Turned him in and he was charged with slaughtering illegally, and a host of other crimes. He fought it and lost!
My point? There are enough LAWS already on the books that if you wanted to you could make a case against ANYONE you chose to.

Animals are not people , though we personify certain species, we are here to manage them and use them for the greater good ..not to be thier servants.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

CK said," Later after things had calmed down I loaded up my kids and we went over there and I explained myself, and why.  We actually would up being pretty good friends"

That's what I think is unusual about you most people wouldnt do that...and why I like you(yall is o.k in my book). ;) Not that I'm ready to pick out curtains with you or anything.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

MULE_MAN

I have neither the time are patience to put up with dogs chasing
and killing livestock. I shoot them throw them in the back of my
truck  haul them down the road a couple of mile's & throw them in
the road ditch. Problem over with !!  Back to work !!
Allot of town people get tired of there dogs & think they will turn
them loose out in the country & they will find a good home.
It doesn't work that way.!!! These dogs aren't used to seeing livestock
& chasing them is fun & game's  to them & then they get hungry
It just doesn't work out !!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Ernie

A 12 ga loaded with rock salt is a good warning.  Either that or one of those pumpup water gun things filled with turpentine shot up the backside.  I used that one on the neighbour's pit bull, haven't seen him since.  The neighbour was please I didn't use the 12 ga with slugs :D :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Corley5

I wouldn't personally use the one with the glass but I know more than one person that has.  I would prefer to use high speed lead poisoning but if they wouldn't present themselves for a shot and my property was at risk or they had threatened myself or my family I WOULD use the anti-freeze and hamburger after making sure my own dogs or cats were locked up for the evening. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

etat

If ya just want to pepper em and not kill em or hurt em real bad a 22 rifle loaded with rat shot is just the ticket.  Has to be at fairly close range though or they won't even hardly feel it.  I haven't bought any in a long time but it's a regular 22 short rifle bullet that's loaded with little bitty tiny pellets.  Won't do much more than sting something such as a dog, won't even go through the skin.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Brucer

I use a .177 cal air pistol (no license required, not even in Canada  ;D ). Use it on Black Bears, too. It's surprisingly effective, even at 15 metres/yards. I'm not sure why it works so well -- at that range the pellet probably doesn't even get through the fur. I suspect the dogs (and our local bears) have enough experience that they know humans basically can't touch them from a distance. And suddenly here's a guy shouting at them and "Whap", something smacks into their backside. They can't figure it out and don't like it. Off they go.

I do make sure I've got a good side shot or rear end shot, and I aim for the behind. I don't want to get them in the face, especially the eyes.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

redpowerd

OWW, thats pretty much how it is around here. most ppl know if they cant control their dog, tie it up, or they wont have a dog. and bro. is right on about the farm tool.

KA, are them someones hunting dogs? id look for the owner. i know that wouldnt fly too well round here, you either know the dog or shoot it. no tags or collars?

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Kirk_Allen

Not tags on these hounds and they only are around at night.  They will be toast if they come back. 

I spoke with the local law enforcement today and according to Illinois law, I have the right to shoot any predator that is after my livestock.  I also can hold the owner responsible for damages and costs involved in protecting my live stock. 

I did dispatch 11 possums last night with a single shot 8)

Went out this morning and turns out she was carrying 10 baby tree rats in her pouch.  They were all laying next to her dead.  That will sure save headaches later on!

Ernie

Your possums are obviously different to ours.

Here is a pic from the local school fund raiser

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Linda

Kirk Allen,

We have problems with coyotes here.  Coyotes generally take only what they can eat and are supposedly somewhat humane about the way they get an animal (unless they are inexperienced pups). 

Wild dogs are much more aggressive and massacre their prey, usually killing many animals at a time.

If my family and/or livestock was in danger, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot.

QuoteI did dispatch 11 possums last night with a single shot

...And with a rifle yet!  I'm jealous!  I'm also curious, what part of the opossum did you hit? ??? :-\

We have a lot of possums and skunks.   I had to shoot a possum with our .22 cal. rifle.  It took 2 shots in the head and one where I thought the heart should be, before I was sure it was dead! :-[   I found out later that their brain is only the size of a BB. ::)

I felt so bad, I almost vowed never to shoot one again.  Now, I'm so paranoid about making them suffer, I always take the .410 and automatically put 3 shots in them just to be sure. ;D

If it weren't for rabies and them eating my honey bees (they've killed 3 swarms off), I wouldn't do it at all.
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Buzz-sawyer

Linda I just wanted to coment on coyotes

Comming from a lifetime of observation and study of my local wildlife, I can safely say that thiere is NOTHING kind or human about how a coyote eats its prey!!!

Killing it first is not an issue of concern.....Nor is how long it takes to consume thr wounded and crying animal.
many hours of suffering go on daily in nature........just the nature of the beast. ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Linda

Buzz-Sawyer,

I guess that the old saying "You can't believe everything you read" fits then hugh?  I did all kinds of research about coyotes when I first got my goats.  So much for what I read. ::)   I'm just glad I haven't had to witness what you did. :'(

Killing in general isn't humane.  Like you said, "just the nature of the beast."

Buzz-sawyer

Hi Linda
Yep it is HARD to see....and I will put any suffering animal down if it is in my power to do so...

I am  a life long trapper and hunter...BUT I think I still personify animals a bit.....

Maybe its this working in me???(Prov 12:10) ;) ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Linda

Never read that scripture before.  I had to go see what it said, good one to remember. Thanks

DR_Buck

Kirk,

Ive got cattle and have problems with ground hogs, possums, foxes and the ocassional dogs.   I'm completly in favor of the SSS recomendation.

Note my signature block below.... ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!