iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This guy's bothered by the heat

Started by maple flats, June 09, 2005, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I don't see how you southerners can take the heat with high humidity. I am almost useless when the temp hits 95 F. when the humidity is high. I would sooner work in zero degrees. I work all day and keep comfortable as long as I can keep out of the wind ALL winter. Even at -20 drgrees F but I have to go indoors when it hits 95 degrees so that I can enjoy the AC. I mowed the last of my fields this AM but it took all I had and I am in the shade of an oversized canopy roof on my tractor. Now it is 95 or 96 and I loose the rest of the day. No lumber being sawn today. I think I'll go get a COOOLD drink now. :'( smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop smiley_furious3
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Fla._Deadheader

Most of what few friends I have ( OUTSIDE THE fORUM) won't even consider visiting us in Florida in the summer. They claim they can't stand the heat.  ::) ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

maple flats

Never been to Fla.  N. Carolina is the farthest south for this Yank. and it wasn't on hot days. Was in Newport News, Va visiting my daughter a few years ago when my son-in-law was in the service. TV kept reporting the temp/humidity index. If I remember it was about 115 in the late afternoon. Thought I had died and ended up in the wrong direction, but couldn't remember what I had done sooo bad to end up there. I'll take sub zero and work from dawn til dusk but of course that is only about 10 hrs in these parts. I can dress for that and still get a lot done. If I stop to study something I need to add a layer and when work resumes I remove the layer again. The hardest part is keeping my hands dry when it is not cold enough, the gloves get wet. When it is cold enough that doesn't happen. 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mike_van

Maple Flats, i'm with you - I wish the leaves would start changing color tonight, frost tomorrow night, & snow on Sunday.  Sick of summer already in Ct.   >:(
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

hiya

I'm the other way. I like the heat. Got tired or the cold in Pa. lost too muvh work in the winters. compressers, nail guns ,ect. freeze up. My fingers never did like being cold. ::). I can't stand ac, it makes my head stuffed up, makes me miserable. 
Richard
RichardinMd.

Weldrite

Maple Flats, I'm with you too.  I will work all day in the winter but when it starts hitting 80F I'm done.  Sitting at the welder with 20+ hot tools next to me is great in the winter, I don't even have to turn the heat up.  These last few days have been too much for me.  80+ in the shop, then put on long pants, a heavy welding jacket, and a welding hood now we are talking fun.

Now that i have cooled off after that rant I'm ready for the heat, bring it on.  :D
A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone.

Sawyerfortyish

You can only take so much clothing off when your hot but you can always put more on when cold. It sure does feel good to get in the AC tho but then I don't want to go back out in the heat. Gonna start making hay next week and i'm not looking forward to that.

maple flats

Don't get me wrong. I don't like real cold best, just better than real hot. My favorite time of year is what I call flannel shirt weather. If you work hard you can remove the shirt and be just right, if you slow down just put the flannel shirt back on. For me this is between about 45 and 65 degrees.

Brad_S.

I'm with you, maple flats. When its 80 and sunny and someone says "Isn't this a GREAT day", I say "No, I like it 55 and cloudy". They always think I'm being a smart(aleck) but I absolutely mean it.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

maple flats

OOOoooopps, I forgot, I have been to Fla.  eight or ten years ago we went to Disney World, (It was rather cool)  and then we drove to Tampa and Clearwater Beach. Walked the beach, on return we crossed the bridge over Tampa Bay 3 times (took a wrong turn, my navigator said one way and I followed, we still laugh over her navigational skills 8)). Then we went to pick up our son who was meeting us at Tampa airport. We got there late because of the bridge thing, but his flight was 5 hrs late so we were still early. The next day we all went to Busch Gardens. All of this time the temps were good so the heat was not an issue.  8) 8)

sawguy21

I was in Redding CA after Labor Day and it was still 100 by 11 am. I could not take it for long especially in a heavy underpowered truck with no a/c. That is considered a luxury here :D. Mind you, I don't much like -30 either but have learned to live with it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all can learn to like heat, too.  ;) ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

redpowerd

thats wat all southerners say!

this heat we have been having has been unbearable. you gotta adjust your schedule so you do your labor early in the morning and sit in the tractor cab in the afternoon. its the only way to get anything done. plus the hay aint dryin down to well with this humidity.

people that tell me i need to cut all my wood before winter are nuts!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Engineer

Heat is terrible, humidity is worse.  I could spend all my time in sunny days where the temp was between 55 and 65.  My favorite time of the year is september and october where it's cold at night, warm during the day and you can get some things done outside.

Steve

Count me  as another that is bothered by humidity. Dry heat is one thing but humidity I just can't seem to deal with. I left Hawaii after 12 years and in all that time I just couldn'tget comfortable . Couldn't work in it at all. Just sapped my energy. The temperatures were hardly ever in the 90's but the humidity was always 85% and above.
I loved it when I got to work at higher elevations, 4500' and above, as it was really nice light air up there with the lower humidity.
Eastern Oregon is going to be great for me and my wood. The humidity in the shop has been staying consistently between 47 to 35%.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

DanG

I think we all enjoy those median temps.  65-75 is good for me. :)  The difference is in how we handle the extremes.  It's a good thing we are different, else we'd all be puddled up in one little place.  Personally, I'd rather mow grass for 9 months than shovel snow for an hour.

Steve, I guess I missed the reports of your move to the mainland. Care to fill us in on what ya got going?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ed_K

I don't mind the heat much, but the humidity s_ _ ks. I was sawing today and stoped at 1 pm cause it was feeling pretty bad. Come down to the house and the temp was 91, musta been 110 in the mill shed with the motor running. I remember in Tx, it could be 117 in the shade and not feel all that bad. We were packing in a 42" culvert that day.
Ed K

Steve

DanG

We moved to Oregon last fall and have been remodeling an old house in a little town ever since. I sold the MD in Hawaii but brought lots of wood back with me. Mango, Koa, Curly Robusta, and small amounts of a few other woods. Enough for a couple of years at least. I still am going to do my music wood business.  My main tool now is the Hitachi Resaw. I just got a power feed for it last fall. One of those "why didn't I do this long ago" deals.
I've still got www.curlykoa.com, which my son recently updated. Still a work in progress which seems to always be the case with me.
Sure do like it here in Dufur though.
Thanks for asking......
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Ga_Boy

I guess growing up in Georgia I got use to the heat and humidity.

There aint nothin better that working a good sweet.

Like today, Dan Shade and me went this morning and got us about 12 or so nice 16' saw logs, this afternoon I replaced that bent hitch on my truck.

I did what I read in a post on the sawing board and wore a long sleaved shirt all day.  After I soaked it with sweat I was alright the rest of the day; well that and drinking a lot of gatoraid.

That new hitch is nice and the bumper don't need replacing like those yah hoo's at the GMC dealer said.  

Now I got me a class V hitch.    8) 8)
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

maple flats

Good work on the class 5 hitch, now you have a real workhorse. I removed the mounted fertilizer spreader from the tractor (about 2 hrs), cleaned and oiled it for storage and them pulled the connecting poles on my ATS Peterson to clean and re=lube them. By the time I got that done I was dripping wet, constantly had sweat dripping off my face and I just called it a day. Now I am here with the AC set on 70 and the cieling fan running directly over my head. This is much better now. I will try early in the AM and work til it gets unbearable and then you will see me here again.  smiley_contract_point  Look here, my contract and my wife say I don't have to work under these conditions 8)  I'll catch up when it get bearable again outside, meantime I think I need a nap.

isawlogs

I once went on a trip , was to go down to Florida .  8)  Got as far as Georgia and turned around and came back up to North Carrolina ....  Where the weather was more to what I could take ...  ;D  The heat just puts me down and I cant fonction to good ... Well worse then normal   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sawyerfortyish

Backed my pickup in the mill today. Had to put new springs in it some of the leafs had broke and fell off. Well it took all afternoon.  The sweat was running off the rim of my hat and dripping as well as running in my eyes.  Got done and man am I wiped out. Now I'm sitting in the AC blowing the frost off a cool one smiley_beertoast

sawguy21

Ain't that a fun job with sweat and dirt dripping in your eyes. I still prefer heat over cold but 100 plus was a bit much. I remember visiting southern Ontario as a kid and the humidity was brutal.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

I'm not real fond of -20 but this heat and humidity is worse. Started out early yesterday stacking hay in the shed, nice heavy green bales. Wouldn't you know it but the wind would not blow over a mild breeze. Nothing like scratchy hay to make you sweat. Then went over to our shed and moved 2x12's to make room for more wood. Finally caught a break, the neighbor had a huge sycamore tree lean over in the wind, he was gonna tackle it with a chainsaw. Woah no way would he be able to do it safely. I had my trackhoe over there anyways to I moved it and broke it up for him. Had the AC running full blast the whole time.  ;D

Engineer

I spent six hours yesterday sawing four pine logs, finishing up the final pieces for my house frame.  We didn't put up a small wing owing to having to put up SIPs first, then the small frame.    I cut two kingposts, two joists and about 300 bf of 1x boards.  I was dyin' from the heat and humidity by 2 pm, and my father wanted to keep going (and he was tailing off!)   :o

I said no.  I was sweating more than the lube tank was spitting onto the blade.  80 or even 85 degrees isn't bad at all when the humidity is low, but I can't even tolerate 65 degrees at 90% humidity.

I'm in the office today, AC is on, and I'm STAYIN' here.   ;)

Thank You Sponsors!