iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic pump

Started by hackberry jake, April 23, 2012, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I got a hydraulic pump from work that I was planning to use to retrofit my mill with hydraulics. I got to looking at it and on the fluid resivior it states the pressure as 400 psi. I don't know much about hydraulic systems, but that seems too low. Is there a way to bump up the pressure or do I need to start looking for a different pump?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jake the HD pump pressure on my backhoe can be turned up or down. I'm just not sure about your particular pump. Some pumps can and some can't.
Surely someone will know.
Good-Luck.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ALWOL

Do you have a pic of the pump? 400 psi is not enough to do very much at all. Is there a chance the 400 psi indication is for the reservoir only?
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

snowshoveler

Without asking to many questions, what was this pump originally used on.
400 psi is way low for anything I can think of.
Must be all about the Gpm for its intended use I guess.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Nomad

I'd think that must be the rated pressure for the reservoir.  In hydraulics, 400psi won't set off a mousetrap.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

hackberry jake

It was used to take a printing cylinder forward to contact the rubber printing plate when the machine was fired up. I have a funny feeling that all it needed was 400psi to do this job. It says 1.99 gpm. I have a 13hp Honda horizontal shaft engine that I might try to find a belt drive pump for, but from what I've read, that might be a little overkill.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

pineywoods

New pumps are fairly cheap if you don't need a lot of flow. check out surpluscenter.com..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

Well now 2 gallon per minute is a low flow rate .Now pressure versus work done is another thing .

It all depends on the application .The old stuff at work was all rated 3000 PSI or higher but often ran on 400 to 600 PSI .Why because if you read the books concerning longevity it goes up by huge amounts running at a lower pressure .So the theory was huge volume  ,lower pressure huge heavy duty hydraulic cylinders.Long lasting more trouble free system .

For example the 5" cylinder on my log splitter saw approx 40 years of service before I got it from work on a scrap pass .It's a Parker Hannifin super duty  rated at 4500 PSI but was only operated at 800 PSI . I only run it at around  2000 PSI .Steel sealing rings it should last forever .

Larry

Well, lets see.  Area=pie x radius squared iffen I remember right.  So a 2" cylinder would have an area of 3.14 square inches.  Times 400 psi gives 1,256 pounds on the ram.  Plenty to clamp a log.  Enough to operate a toeboard.  I bet it would turn most logs.

Flow rate is about right to catch a quick snooze while the clamp operates. :D

I don't know if my math is right, but you could certainly plumb it in and see what happens as it's not gonna cost anything. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

The only thing is, it's a 3 phase pump, I'd have to buy a single phase motor for it. Good point tho Larry. I could probably get a couple bigger cylinders to turn logs, but with that much volume, I probably could sleep while it's turning. smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping

ladylake

1.9 gpm will be slow unless you have 2" cylinders.  Go for at least 6 gpm with 1500# psi which would take at least a 5 hp gas motor.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!