iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question for those that sell turning blocks.

Started by Modat22, November 30, 2005, 04:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I'm trying to raise funds quicker for my mill and thought trying to sell blocks of black locust and whatever else I can think of.

What sizes do people like most?

Are there certain types of wood that turners prefer?

Not trying to get trade mark secrets or anything I just thought it might be a way to bring in a little bit of extra needed income.

Thanks
remember man that thy are dust.

Ron Wenrich

Turning squares do have to be kiln dried.  Most popular species are for red oak, hard maple, and cherry. 

Bowl turners use a lot of other species, but I don't think locust would be one of them.  Too DanG hard.

You can market locust fence posts.  I cut them 4x4xx8. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Burlkraft

I prefer figured wood. Maple, cherry, boxelder, walnut..... curly or burl is good. I have a big lathe so I like to cut my blanks bigger. I can turn a 42" tabletop. Most folks don't turn that big.....I guess most are smarter than that!! :D :D Most smaller lathes have a 12" swing so 12X12 or smaller is good. Plate and shallow bowl blanks are usually 3 to 6" thick.

The other thing is that green wood turns a lot better than dry, so cut your blanks green and seal them on all sides RIGHT AWAY. It takes about 5 minutes sometimes for them to start checking, especially figured wood. I use Woodcraft's green wood sealer.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Frank_Pender

22. I sell Western Big Leaf Maple burl from sizes of 3-4 pounds up to some chunks I have here weigh in at 185 lbs.   Turners seem to be all over the lathe in desired sizes.  As to the Locust, posts are a good idea but for me I have been selling some for flooeing as well as picture frames; again one' imaginations is the only limitation.  in selling the wood.  I have even sold some Sequoia for flooring, get that.
Frank Pender

Part_Timer

I've sold some on ebay with good luck.  Don't let the hardness set you back any.  I sold 14 7x7x7 green osage blanks to a guy in Texas.  It's all in what the turner wants on what day.  The only thing I've noticed is that it has to be real eye catching or unusual.  Get on there look at what is selling and try a few. You won't know till you try.  Worst case you can make posts out of what is left
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

sawwood

22 i sell most any wood and i do sell honey and black locust plus some osage orange. Most turners
like green wood to turn as it cuts better with lot less dust to have flying all over the place.  Most of
the turners here like 4 X 4 X4 and larger to use. Also if you have some round pices at 4 " to 6" and
a foot long that will sell too. You will just have to see what sell in your area and if you sell at your
place have a band saw or your mill to cut larger pices in to smaller one.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!