iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite thing about the woods

Started by jon12345, December 22, 2005, 11:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon12345

Is that they will never LIE to you.   >:(

They may decieve you, but a tree cannot keep all its secrets forever.

What is your favorite thing about the woods?
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Radar67

Everything, mainly the peace and solitude. A walk through the woods has a calming effect on me.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

That's the truth!  ;D         If you want to leave the world behind for a while, go climb into a treestand for a while and leave the bullets at home and watch nature go at it's everyday pace for a while.  It's good for the soul. :) :) :)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Coon

My most favorite thingabout the woods, is that mother nature will take care of you , if you do your part in taking care of her.  She will nourish you with wild game and birds,fish and, with plenty of firewood for years to come PROVING that you do your part in keeping the woods and the lakes, rivers, and marshes clean of all harmful sources.  A careful plan is needed for a succesfull slect harvest whether it be mentally or physically.  Listening to mother nature will answer many of your questions in a lifetime as long as you take the time to think before you act upon it.  Think of the possible effects that you could could cause by doing even the littlest of actions.  Take responsibility for it. If you see a piece of garbage pick it up and dispose of it properly.  I hope that this doesn't make me sound like I am a big environmentalist but I do my part in trying to preserve what we have got today.  We want for our children and grandchildren to be able to enjoy those things in life such as nature. If we don't act today will we ever.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

jon12345

Was a little peeved when I started the topic...

I may have grown up in recent times, but I see a lot of people from my generation that have totally different morals than I have and it's starting to get to me...but maybe the problem started with their parents, not them. 

I guess what I was getting at is that the forest is what it is, and always will be, unlike people, it just gets older, but doesn't really change much other than that.  It has no loyalties except to itself and no one to impress.

The forest can provide for us, food, shelter, entertainment, water, what more do we need?  Human companionship is great, but I'd trade a lot of people's for that of a deer.  :D  In the forest all the species spend their time worryin about survival. Maybe if people didnt have so much time on thier hands and needed to play a bigger part in their own survival things wouldnt be the way they are today :-\
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

crtreedude

This may seem a touch odd, but one of the things I love about the woods is seeing things older than I am  (which is getting harder and harder..  ::) ) and that will be around after I am gone.

This tends to relax me realizing that it really isn't up to me to fix everything - just do my part while I am here, just like the trees in the forest.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

sawguy21

Quote from: Radar67 on December 23, 2005, 12:03:32 AM
Everything, mainly the peace and solitude. A walk through the woods has a calming effect on me.
That is it for me too. It is a time out and a real treat. I enjoy sitting quietly and wait for the life around me to return to normal after my intrusion.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Button

The effect the woods have on me. When I am in the middle of the back 40, my head deflates, I feel like a tick in the hair of mother's earth, so small, humble,insignificant. I fire up the 365 and say "now mother it's just a trim"
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

Max sawdust

You guys summed it up with Peace-Solitude the sense of being small and the fact that it contains everything a human needs (exept for the companion) but why :o ???

Here is one thing that comes to mind for me this busy time of year:
I think it is because the woods runs on a different clock, yes the woods is a busy place everything living is struggling to stay alive, but the pace is different than our artifical clocks, and it is naturally relaxing and comforting.

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Todd

The solitude is definetely the allure.  When I was living in Montana, I'd stop on my way home from work every night during hunting season and take my Mustang up a logging trail as far as I could, then spin it around and do a little hunting.  Locals at the bar would question my hunting on a mountain with little game, but I never saw another soul up there and came home feeling good every night.  (of course, that was before I had my mill....now I walk through the woods and can't stop looking for those trees that would look beutiful in my log pile ;)
Todd
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Burlkraft

You guy's are so very right.............

The woods doesn't talk back or lie or argue or make empty promises.....The woods is what the woods is. I wish more people were like that...You get what you see, but she is full of pleasant little surprises....Like curl and quilt and burl......I love burl................. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

The woods have given my family shelter and sustainance for over 40 years, and I hope I have given back more than I have taken.

There is a stand of pine near me that was planted some 30 years ago, several years back I took a preacher friend to that woods to show him natures church.  The stems were evenly spaced, the boles clean of limbs, and the crown arched over the ground covered in fern, the whole picture was one of a church with columns, a vaulted ceiling, and a plush green carpet.

My preacher friend, knowing my feelings for the woods, was pleased to share this, and told me he understood why I looked forward to every job in the woods.  He thanked me for sharing a moment of time.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

PawNature

Trying to imagine what he earliest settlers must have felt when entering new territory. Being alone and no one to come to their aid if anything happened. I used to think I would have loved to live back in the 1700 or so. But I finally realized that I am perfectly happy right where I am. I have seen more country in a day that most pioneers saw in a lifetime. And as far as being alone and no one to help. All I have to do is go to LA or NYC, or Chicago.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

crtreedude

We are about to go to the wildest of our fincas - the one with the 20 foot boa - and hang out for a couple of days. There is a big fiesta down at the other finca too that we will go to (no Harold, I won't be required to help with either the tamales or the butchering the pig...)

I am so tired from working so much that this evening will just be doing nothing except hanging out with my wife. This will be good.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

iain

Ironwood

The earthy smell of a wet deciduous layer of humus (sic?) especially here in Pa. mixed with fern odor. And SHADEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Murf

Lookin' down at them from a 1,000' feet up and admiring the Lord's lovely work.........  :)

Sometimes I even spot a critter or two lookin' up an tryin' ta figger out what in tarnasion is dat up der?

smiley_greg_walking_stilts

Da view is better up der fer sure...........
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Button

Oh I forgot the little "no" things like

No wife,no kids,no cell phones,no faxes,no pagers,no putors,no neighbors,no people,no bosses,no supervisers,no tv's,no video games,no lawyers,no credit cards,no clocks,no timeclocks,no commercialization of christmas,no vcr's,no dvd's,no politicians,no outlaws,no inlaws,no relatives,no cats, no dogs,no horses,no cooking,no cleaning,no nagging,no crying,no honey doo's,no "could you....", just me and my saw, I guess it is the little things that count. Enjoy the woods
Peter
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

thecfarm

Trying to make the forest work for me.Be it cutting down trees without leaving behind a big mess.Making new twitch trails through the woods.Sawing up the trees into lumber and building something out of what I did.Watching the wildlife enjoying the woods.Looking to see the tracks of any animals that have been there while I was gone.Just the sounds of the woods is something to enjoy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

toxedo_2000

I like to hear the trees grow ! :D
And the odor of the pine I am sawing ::)
The sky and the forest, I dont now wich I like the most. They are inseparable
Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

Ed_K

Two day ago I pulled into an area I've been cut in, and saw 2 does feeding on some tops from the day before. They started to run off and I blatted at them. They stoped 50 yds off and watched as I dropped a couple black birch, limbed them hooked up an left. As I pulled out they when right back to eating. I have a real respect for the woods.
Ed K

thecfarm

I have on 2 seperate times had to stop and watch a deer go in front of a running tractor when I was cutting wood.I think I would of run into her if I wouldn't of stopped.I doubt that I would of hit her,but I still wonder what would of happened if I didn't stop.This is in off season,of course.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tmullen

Favorite thing about the woods

It's HOME!!! ;D ;D
when in doubt
fire out

Skytramp

I live on the same property that I was born on, have added a few things to it, some beautiful, some not, but life is what it is.
     I had a small pond dug where I had planned a lake as a child,  I am not sure but what I enjoy the pond as much as I would have the lake.  I have planted grass for the deer and turkey and keep corn out pretty much year round and always put out hay in the winter, I also built a tree stand in a large post oak tree about 20 yards from the pond.  I framed it up and have enclosed it with camaflage.  My daughter, ( the last of the nine, now 15 years old ) and I have spent many hours in that little enclosure, sometimes with a gun sometimes with a camera.  The animals seem to know when we have just the camera. It seems to be just ours, other people have used it and we are a little protective, and neither of us seems to stay long if the other is not along.  When she was younger she ran off the big buck with her oooing, and the turkey sometime spot us because she still can't keep still but I wouldn't trade that spot in the woods and those memories for anything in the world.  I know that someday some guy will come along and take her away from me but that is the way it is supposed to be and I will  turn it over to her and let them continue to enjoy it.  We add a little something every year to improve it. 
     We have a lot of Cherokee blood and the Old Indians always believed that they didn't really own anything, they just used it while they were here and then it was someone elses duty.  I hope that when my time is up, I have lived up to and and taught my daughter to respect that duty.
SkyTramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

IMERC

Quote from: jon12345 on December 22, 2005, 11:54:07 PM

What is your favorite thing about the woods?

gotta be the peace, quiet and solitude. the woods are 1st nature to me. Home.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!