iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Writing a book on sawmilling

Started by Cedarman, December 24, 2005, 08:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Some additions to Dan's list, at random ...
    Material (organized by region)
        Species identification
        Behaviour of different species during sawing
        Problems with certain species (e.g., pitch)
    Lumber handling near the mill
        Stacking & stickering.
        Mill layout for different numbers of operators
    Log handling near the mill
        Shifting logs without machinery
        Finding the balance point of a log
    Types of operations
    Production management
        Site layout
        Flow of materials
        Identifying factors that limit production
    Startup
        Criteria for buying a mill
        Checklist of support materials
        Business plan
    Marketing
        Advertising for different types of operation
        Signage
        Business cards
        The internet
    Maintenance techniques, common to all types of equipment
        Lubrication
        Inspection
        Records
        Tools
        Electrical systems
        Hydraulics
        Mechanical systems
        Electronics
    Financial planning
        Production rates
        Expanding the business
        Risks
        Taxes
        Preparing estimates
    Employee issues
        Hiring
        Screening employees
        Training
        Employee handbook
        Compensation
    Legal issues
        Insurance
        Accidents
        Liability

And the list goes on ...

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

UNCLEBUCK

Recipes around the sawmill !

asy"s prawns and scallops

ck"s hushpuppies & ketchup

DanG"s Gritz

U.B."s  specks & taters

Paschales mallard omellette with fresh berries

Norms hot buttered biscuits with pond raised free range fried bass fillets

oh the list goes on and on $$$$$$$$ ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Furby

I'm starting to think we should scrap the milling book and just make a Forum cookbook!
Thinking that might just go over pretty good. ;)

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: cktate on December 29, 2005, 05:37:09 AM
I can positively tell you this.  if there was anything I could be smart enough to contribute here, for a book or otherwise, I'd be GLAD to donate it,

WELL How about how to castrate a cat......not everyone knows that CK :o ;D ;D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

beenthere

How to castrate a cat......
That the "zipper overshoe" trick method? ::)  I worked for a vet in the 50's that used that method, except for one angry Siamese tom that wasn't about to let his head go in that boot.   An alternate method was employed.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buzz-sawyer

I believe it(             cat in boot method)   was originally suggested for our buddy Duh-Wayne......and launched CK's business with him........ ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

I can only think that you guys had alot of cats taking over your barns. My grandfather's method was the .22 calibre. Oh, the stories he could tell. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don_Papenburg

I prefer the elstorator but you need a bowel of good viddles and a somewhat tame tom for that to work.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Skytramp

If I were to write it , it would be a pretty small book,  I have had people come to me with problems numerous times, almost invariably it was either out of level or wasn't filed right.  Any more I have a pat answer, then tell them if that don't work I will come over and help.
#1  Set it up more straight and level than anything you ever built in your life.  You have about 1/32 inch on each side of that saw, if it rubs wood it ain't gonna saw right.  Should be able to put a level on the headblock and run it through without the bubble moving.
#2  File a little more hook into it and make sure that them thar corners are sharp, My old uncle used to say, " IF YOU AIN'T GOT CORNERS YOU AIN'T GONNA SAW).
#3  Check yer lead, I always run from a 1/32 to 1/16, yes it has to be that close.
#4  If the above don't work, scratch head, stomp hat, go get help.

Just a little humor guys, the book is a great idea.  Wish I had had one when I started .  Probably was one, I just didn't think to look.

Sawmills are 99% COMMON SENSE and 100% WORK.

The best way to become a millionair with a sawmill is to start with 2 Million;
Skytramp
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

SwampDonkey

I'm actually in the middle of writing a pocket guide to forestry specific to my province. I find alot of books that are available only dwell on one subject and Joe woodlot owner wants a guide to help him out from dirt, to silviculture, to cash in his pocket. I'm hoping to make it a small format (half-letter) and under 200 pages. I want it as concise and down to earth as possible without alot of the unexplained jargon found in some books. It will include a glossory with bolded text throughout the guide explained there. I'm still struggling with the layout/format of some subjects. I'll probably change it a zillion times.  :D You take something like this on and you'll soon realize that there is alot to it my friends. ;) I've chosen Adobe InDesign 3.0 CS for the layout, even though I hate the limited drawing tools it has. Not even a triangle tool.  ::) I like being able to export to PDF.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Skytramp

My hats off to ya SwampDonkey, a real job you are taking on there, I wish you the best.  I doubt if I could be of much help, the only thing I really know is circle saws, but will try if called on.
SkyTramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Coon

Happy NEW YEAR to all. :o :o ;D :D

That's a major undertaking SwampDonkey.  Hope you atleast have fun and learn some with that large project. 8) 8)  Let us know when you get that pocketbook done.. I would be interested to read the compilation of your work. :D
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!