iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cornbread n milk

Started by okie, April 05, 2009, 03:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okie

Anyone else like this. If you have'nt tried it, you ought to. Just take a piece of buttered cornbread and put it in a bowl and cover with milk. Quite tasty. Used to eat this alot as a kid when money was scarce and food that was put up was dwindling, but It's quite good regardless. It's better if you milk your own cow and do'nt skim all the cream off. digin_2
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Tom

We ate/eat it with buttermilk.   The cornbread is what we call corn cake.   It's got sugar and salt in it and is a rising bread, cooked in the oven.

Polly

that has been around a long time , my dad used to say cornbread and milk was better then ice cream  ;)

olyman

cornbread,then butter it, pour on the milk,and just a bit of brown sugar. yummmmm              also, any of you ever pour popcorn in a bowl, then milk over it, and eat that??? goooooddd

CHARLIE

Yup, what Tom said. cornbread and buttermilk. We didn't need to put butter on it.  A lot of times we'd have cornbread to eat with our meals and then we'd have it for dessert with a little cane syrup poured on it. We did the same with sweet potatoes. We'd eat sweet potatoes with our meal and then have sweet potatoe with some cane syrup on it for dessert.  We also might have rice with our meal and then have rice with cinnamon sugar and milk for dessert.  Life was simpler back then. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

okie

Buttermilk  smiley_sick Never did grow to appreciate that stuff. Mom and dad loved it, makes my stomach turn. My wife got a quart the other day to make biscuits with and I thought I'd try it yet again, still rancid. I think there is a fine line between buttermilk and spoiled milk, course my wifes grand dad would let milk set to spoil just cause he liked it like that ???
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

CHARLIE

Okie, that stuff they sell in stores is "Cultured" Buttermilk and I agree, it's not the best. Real buttermilk, according to my grandmother was sweet and full of butter. I think it was what was left from making butter but I'm not sure. I do know that real buttermilk isn't sour milk and I do know that "Cultured" Buttermilk isn't real buttermilk. 

The following is an advertisement but does explain the difference between real buttermilk and that "Cultured" stuff.
http://www.sacofoods.com/culteredbuttermilkblend.html

Another link explaining the difference
http://www.innovatewithdairy.com/InnovateWithDairy/Articles/FAQ_CulturedBM_032905.htm
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

dnalley

If there is anything better than milk and bread (cornbread) it's got to be cracklin cornbread and milk.
But chances are, if you've never cooked down hog fat into lard, you may have never eaten any "real" cracklins, which are quite a bit different from what you buy in stores most places.
Same thing for real buttermilk.  Comes out of a churn when you've finished making butter, and it's NOT this thick stuff you buy in stores.  Real buttermilk is a lot thinner than cultured buttermilk and has little bits of butter in it where Grandma didn't get every morsel of the butter out after you'd churned it.  Been a while since I tasted any real buttermilk!
I absolutely love cornbread and milk but, unfortunately, I have a waistline to prove it ;D

Sunfield Hardwood

There;s nothing like cracklin corn bread, I don;t know where you get crackins any more, even if you process your own pork most folks would just skin them not scrape them. when I was a kid we snitched cracklins out of a 30 lb tin stored on an unheated back porch. they were a real treat :)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

CHARLIE

Lordy, Lordy! I love Cracklin' Bread.  Tom's and my Grandmother used to make the best Cracklin' Bread.  It was basically white cornmeal mixed with water with a bunch of cracklin' in it.  Then she'd fry it in a skillet. It didn't have a levenin' agent so it was only about 3/8" thick but it sure was good!  I haven't had any Cracklin' bread since the early 1960's...that was in the last century.......way back.  Now I'm droolin'. :)
Charlie

ohsoloco

Never had real buttermilk, but I love the cultured stuff you buy in the store...a 6 oz. glass of it is a perfect little treat  :)  Wouldn't make pancakes without it  ;)

Tom

Yeah!  Me too, Ohsoloco.   I like anykind of buttrmilk.  I'll have to admit that some of the "gourmet" buttermilks are a little like trying to drink drywall mud, but then a fellow should be warned about any foodstuffs labeled Gourmet.  :D :D

It's very difficult to find real buttermilk.  The companies who make the butter, I think sell the milk to people with cows and hogs.   I sure wish they would bottle some of it.  :)

There is not much that is more refreshing than an ice cold glass of buttermilk.  You can feel the chill all the way to your stomach.

TexasTimbers

My mom says I used to love buttermilk and cornbread. She says the only thing I liked better was eating butter by the stick. Say's she finally had to start spanking me to try and make me quit snatching the butter from the fridge and eating by hand.

I can't remember none of that. All I know is I love cornbread, and i love real butter,and i love milk, but I can't stomach buttermilk.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ohsoloco

:D  my niece is the same way with butter.  If the butter dish is anywhere near her at the table she'll go after it.  My SIL was baking one day and used half a stick of butter, and then couldn't find the other half she left on the table.  My niece had herself a nice butter-pop  :D

I remember when my brother and I were little we'd sit on the couch and eat mayo out of the jar with spoons  :-\

ohsoloco

I'm getting really hungry for cornbread now.  In school they used to serve it with honey spread on top...still love it that way  :)

metalspinner

I personally kept the Jiffy Cornbread Co. in business as a kid. :D  That still is my favorite breakfast.  Cornbread and milk. Mmmm  Mmmm.  We called it cousecouse.  It's best when the bread is hot and the milk is cold.  The first couple of bites need to be quick!  Now a days, I need to make two boxes, though.  One for me - the other for the boys. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

splitter

If you've never had real buttermilk your missing something, as a boy I helped churn, was that butter good. Alot better than the butter you buy today. The milk what we called sweet milk had a lot of cream in it, kept it in the spring house in cold spring water. Cornbrean nothing better when its thin and real brown. I've gained a pound just talking about it. Ran it all off when I was a boy. Bring back the cow. These days that may not be a joke. Splitter

Thank You Sponsors!