iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID

Started by Stephen1, March 27, 2023, 02:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

My arborists came across these tress asking if I want to buy them .
What are they?

<b

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

brianJ

I say this is black walnut and looks like it has defects.    Lets hope somebody more experienced chimes in 

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

~Ron

Stephen1

Thank you! 
I'll be down there tomorrow to get them all .  8) 8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Southside

Any idea what happened? Is that broken off staub a felling error or storm damage? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Judging from the notch they are setting up to drop another walnut across that broken log. 

Roxie

Last night's small tornado in Maryland, brought down this tree on my friends property. We're curious what type tree this is and I am literally asking for a friend. 

Say when

Southside

Looks like a tulip poplar
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

KEC

The bark, along with the green heart wood suggests Tulip, aka Tulip Poplar, Yellow Poplar.

KEC

Stephan 1, I'm curious if you got that walnut if any of it was good. Like to hear "the rest of the story".

Ron Wenrich

That isn't a green heart, but more brownish.  I've sawn millions of feet of tulip poplar, and that is ash, of which I've also cut millions of feet.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Roxie's tree is an ash. :) I have not sawn any up for lumber but I have thousands on my land like weeds.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

The end of that log looked greenish to me which did "suggest" tulip.

Stephen1

Quote from: KEC on August 07, 2023, 07:16:45 PM
Stephan 1, I'm curious if you got that walnut if any of it was good. Like to hear "the rest of the story".
I did buy all the Walnut and yes some of it was very good. I was able to anchor seal it all as it came the next day to my yard. It came to me the day after I had a carpenter wanting to buy 800 bd ft of KD charcuterie stock. 8-12" wide and 8' long. I bought all the walnut for $4500. I sawed and dried the charcuterie stock and sold it 3 weeks later. Most of the logs had only 1-2 sides clear. I only had 1 clear log at 10' long. I have said almost half of it and it is air drying. I also sold 4 logs to another sawmill I sharpen blades for. I went from having no walnut to having  enough walnut to sell for a few years. 

Thank You Sponsors!