iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It seems there's always something

Started by gimpy, April 17, 2015, 09:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gimpy

Just trying to make some sawdust for the first time. Bought new water tank, new fuel tank, new fuel pump (pump was bad). Get everything all hooked up yesterday and gas started to leak. Probably original fuel line. Went down and bought 6 feet. Had to be enough, right? Not quite. So it was too late to go again. So today I went back and bought 8 feet. Opened the shroud to get everything routed and hooked up properly with enough slack to be safe. Closed it all up and my bride had a few errands she wanted us to run. So I can't crank 'er up until tomorrow. Looking forward to making sawdust even if it is only stickers to get started with. Have to go out to the property to get a couple of larger logs to cut what I need.

But come heck or high water, sawdust is going to blow tomorrow. Finally. It was exciting to hear the moron and blade running when I tested operation. Now I need to load my first log with the manual winch. After that, I'll use the electric winch on the UTV. Just gotta do it as built for the first log.

New oil. Oil filter replaced. New spark plug. New fuel line. New fuel filter. ATF oiled all the moving mechanical parts. Went over check list and procedures for set=up and shut down.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Chuck White

Looks like you're ready to saw, just got to get a little free time to do it.

Hope you have fun making some sawdust!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Sounds like you will have a "sugarplum night" tonight.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Quote from: gimpy on April 17, 2015, 09:33:51 PM
It was exciting to hear the moron and blade running when I tested operation.

I know what you mean about the moron part. I feel the same way,sometimes.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gimpy

Quote from: thecfarm on April 18, 2015, 06:37:24 AM
Quote from: gimpy on April 17, 2015, 09:33:51 PM
It was exciting to hear the moron and blade running when I tested operation.

I know what you mean about the moron part. I feel the same way,sometimes.  :D

OMG! I was taking a drink of water when I read this. It almost had me soaking the screen. I wish I could say it was a mistake but it was probably correct. I almost squealed with delight.
Gimpy old man

gimpy

Okay, I guess I'm almost a sawyer. I have to remember everything my rep taught me about my mill. But the first challenge was getting that first log onto the mill. To big and heavy for this old man to physically lift, besides, I need to learn to use the winch to load heavier logs. This first one is a lodgepole pine, about 8" top and about 12' long. So I had to figure out the details and procedures of loading it myself. How to unravel the cable from the log turner and how to configure the lifting rigging. What a slick operation. Not hard to figure it out and my almost 100# almost 5' wife took control of the winch handle. If she could do it I have to figure it's slicker than I thought and didn't really have to worry. But it was still my first log. WOOHOO!

Long story short, I cut, turned, cut, turned, cut, turned, cut and turned. Now I had to decide what size I could end up with. So the tape came out and ended up with a 6x6 with a couple of raw corners. Not what I'd expect out of one of you guys that have been doing it a while but I have to admit I am proud of getting the first log under my belt.

Now I had to close it up and go in for dinner. Wife was calling. But tomorrow, I may have to whittle it down into some stickers. Then I'll put one of the 21 foot lodgepole logs that are 12 tops and see what I can end up with. I have a small pile of slabs and sawdust on the ground so I have to admit, I am a very happy man right now.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

PS: The hardest part was that two neighbors (one being a carpenter) saw me out there and decided to come and investigate. Watching me on my first log wasn't my idea but it turned out well and it was fun having them there. It probably made me think twice before I made a step so I wouldn't humiliate myself. But it was fun.
Gimpy old man

Nomad

Congrats! 8)  That's just the first of many more.  Your slab and sawdust pile won't stay small for long.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

arnold113

gimpy, It may have taken you a day or two but you goter done. My first try ended with a broken band.
Here's wishing you many more logs.
Arnold113
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Dad2FourWI

Congrats gimpy!!!  Well done!

Make sure you save your first board!!!!

Lots of people here have their first board mounted in their mill shed, barn, etc. Just kind of a fun thing to look at every now and then!!!  ;D

Keep the updates coming and pics too!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Magicman

Congrats on "first sawdust".   8)

You were wise to double check when onlookers are there because that is generally when bad things happen.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gimpy

Now I want to learn about length. My mill can handle 21' but is that the way to go under general circumstances? It's easier to transport and handle shorter logs. I was thinking of making lumber at 21' then cutting it down to whatever was needed. But then I have to start thinking of available space for storing. As you can see, everything about sawing is starting to get under my skin. What did I get myself into when I cut that first log yesterday? This is going to be fun. Had a hard time getting to sleep last night. Pulled out my Woodmizer DVD's and started watching them again. Getting the most out of a log and grading. I guess I'm just a little excited about my need to research my future.

One of my neighbors from yesterdays adventure mentioned he had a friend that had a couple of logs he wanted cut up. Oh lordy. I bought this mill to cut lumber for my house build and was in the middle of cutting my first log and already I'm getting requests. What did I get myself into? I'm don't feel ready to start cutting for others yet. I haven't even figured out how I'm going to preserve that first cant yet.

I'm 64yo and I can't believe how excited I am over a little sawdust.

I have to admit, I'm blaming some of this excitement on some of you. (Thank you!)

When I unwrapped my mill a couple of days ago, I noticed a little surface rust on my blade. It sure looks pretty now that it is all clean and shiny. The rig also looks better now that sawdust is covering a little of the flat spaces.

Again, what did I get myself into?   8)

I the idea was to do for myself. I'm willing to make mistakes on my own projects and am very willing to endure a longer learning curve. But the thought of sawing for others for a fee is where the real pressure starts to come into the picture. I have a responsibility to myself and all other sawyers, as well as Wood-Mizer, to represent us in a good light. That is where cutting for others so early in my education is creating pressure. But it is a fun and exciting pressure for the future for sure. I just don't want to embarrass myself or get more than I give.
Gimpy old man

SawyerBrown

Gimpy's got the fever!  There's no cure, I'm sorry to say, my friend!

21' question.  When I'm sawing for somebody else, the question is always, "What length do you NEED?"  If you need 21', saw 21'.  If you only need 10', then cut that puppy in half and make it easy on yourself, for one thing, plus logs are never perfectly straight, and will always have some degree of taper, so shorter logs will always yield more lumber, since you're not wasting so much of the "fat" end getting it down to a cant. 

Have fun (and it sounds like you are)!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

gimpy

I'm afraid I'm gonna turn orange. I'll consult with the color chart in a few more days and see if there's any change.
Gimpy old man

Magicman

I prefer to wear Orange shirts whether I am sawing or not.  :)

SB is spot on about sawing two 10's vs one 21.   smiley_thumbsup

gimpy

I'm about to go out and pull out my chainsaw. I hear the wisdom. Thanks guys.
Gimpy old man

Klicker

you will get more boards out of two tens and less waist then a 21ft. congrats
2006 LT 40 HD

Nomad

Shorter is easier to handle unless it gets too short to be easy to mill.  8' to 12' work great.  Longer boards are hard to handle and hard to store.  And how often do you need 16' boards?  If you do, great!  If you need 8' boards and you're cutting 16' logs you're saving a bit of work on the mill but throwing away a lot of wood most of the time.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

I saw only as long as needed. Long boards are less fun to handle.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sandsawmill14

when i saw long logs (12'+) i make first cut same as i would on a 8'. sometimes the first cut might start half way down the log but most of my sawing is commercial so i am having to get all i can out of a log. when i make my opening cut i am shootin for a 6' 1x4 regardless of length of log. but i do agree 2 10' logs are better than 1 20' unless you need the lumber that long smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Kbeitz

New here and I have yet to cut my first log...
Question...
Witch is better ?
To put the but end or little end of the log towards the blade ?

Thanks.
Kevin
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SawyerBrown

First of all, Welcome Kbeitz! 

Most folks will tell you it doesn't matter.  I like to start at the bigger end -- if it's a big hardwood (like I often get into), if you have clearance on that end, you'll have it on the far end.  Plus, you're less likely to make your first slice too deep and waste part of a nice board.  You can always trim a little more off, but it's tricky to put it back!   :D

But if it's already in the pile the other way, I typically don't try to turn it around.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

I take them as they come and I had logs both ways today.  Now preference;  Logs close to maximum sawmill size, then butt end first to be sure that the saw head will pass.  All of the others, top end first.

gimpy

Okay, I need to cut some lumber for myself. I want to cut true/actual dimensional lumber but don't have a clear understanding of the 4/ scale on my mill. Is there a chart or something available to view so I can understand the scale? As I understand it, it is adjusted for the 1/8 inch kerf?
Gimpy old man

Thank You Sponsors!