iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are the tricks for sawing fence posts ?

Started by scully, March 30, 2014, 09:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

I got thinking about this . As much as it would seem very simple ,it would seem that there are some tricks to sawing posts that would help get the most from the log etc. I am mainly talking like cattle fence around feilds etc. What dimension and shape ?  Do you just saw them square ? or triangular ?   I just wondered what some of the "hot" setups were for this . I guess I am just looking for a slick way to do this .
I bleed orange  .

drobertson

Not sure if there are any tricks, but a gang saw would work, having a log peeler would work.  What about treating them?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ST Ranch

I have cut some posts from used WR Cedar utility poles - I use the poles with big checks and cut the pole into quarters, so the posts end up triangular.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

loggjamm

I have sawn locust posts for a local farmer. Smaller logs, (8"-12") I would just saw in half, turn 90 degrees, saw in half again. Larger logs, slab, saw into thirds, turn 90 degrees, saw in thirds again. Don't want to spend a lot of time with them. splitwood_smiley
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

Magicman

I can not read that thread title without wondering what species you are considering.  ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

Obviously locust is the best I know of here in NY ,but I have only realy seen split rail stuff . If sawn I was just wondering what dimension and or shape ?  I think 4x4 is a bit heavy unless for corner posts .
I bleed orange  .

flyboy16101

For live stock fence we use 6 to 8 inch round posts for corner and gate posts and 4 inch rounds for line posts. The one supplier we use appears to saw them on something similar to a lathe-mizer and they pound nice. But when we get in a pinch and need posts quick we have to go to box store and theirs appear to be shaved with a debarker, they never strait and a royal pain to pound in
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

hardtailjohn

^^^  Exactly what he says!  My experience to the letter!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

backwoods sawyer

WRC I like a 5x5 post with 8x8 corner post  at least three square corners no excesive wain on fourth corner.

Takes a good fence to contain a six legged goat :D

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!