iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 640 Grapple Skidder

Started by Kemper, May 11, 2012, 10:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemper

I've been reading posts here for a while now & decided to create an account & post a bit. I'm a real small time logger, just getting started in the business. Just a three man crew. I purchased an old JD 640 to pull wood & have been real pleased so far. Does anyone have any experience with this skidder or information about it? Thanks & I'll hang up & listen.

Tramp Bushler

Welcome to the forum . You must not be too small if you have 3 employees . We need pics . Especially skidder pics . Its alot easier posting pics than it is running a small business so it'll be easy for ya . . What kind of timber do you log ?
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Bobus2003

Ive dealt with a '86 640D alot..Nice machine, Fairly easy to work on..

Kemper

We cut hard wood logs, use the tops for pulp. I'll work on getting some photos. Not pretty equipment, but hard working all the same.

Quote from: Tramp Bushler on May 12, 2012, 12:09:40 AM
Welcome to the forum . You must not be too small if you have 3 employees . We need pics . Especially skidder pics . Its alot easier posting pics than it is running a small business so it'll be easy for ya . . What kind of timber do you log ?

treefarmer87

You cut similar to what i do, it doesent matter what it looks like, if its reliable and makes good money :). i havent seen a 640 around here.if i wouldnt have got my c6 i was going to get a 640. i know a hand cut crew that loads 2 tandems and they have a 648G and they have really good luck with it.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

logger t

we have a old 1984 640 grapple and a 1991 648-d single arch we run them daily good old tractors and easy to work on lots of old parts machines around.
loggert

lonewolf

Never cut for grapple machine. Did cut for a 640 D cable skidder. It was a heck of a skidder and I don't remember any serious breakdowns. Don't worry if it ain't pretty as long as its reliable. Too many people get burned by Krylon overhauls.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

Thank You Sponsors!