iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch

Started by Camp Run Farm, March 20, 2005, 05:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camp Run Farm

This is a great site, good reading after bottle feeding the baby lamb at 4 am.  I just purchased a Wood Mizer LT 40, I don't have it yet, it is like waiting for Christmas to come.  It is supposed to be here the end of the month.

I have read about a log arch for a three point hitch, does anyone have a photo of one?  This is all extremely new to me, I used to have a real job and quit a couple of years ago, started farming and raising sheep and now I got the bug for a sawmill.

Thanks,  Ed

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bitternut

Here is a 3 point skidder I made that works pretty good. It is made up of mostly scrap rectangular tubing, angle iron and bar stock. It could use  the addition of a butt plate that would extend out from the ends of the link arms but it works pretty good as is. I can skid four large logs with it but any more than that and the load is too wide for my trails.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-9378

bitternut

Here is a picture of it in use with some sugar maple logs

wesdor

I've been interested in a logging arch, but haven't been able to find the $$ to buy one.  Here is a picture of one as well as a site with some good information.  I can't speak about the vendor, just have found them to provide some interesting material.

http://www.futureforestry.com/forestry/products/fetching/fetching.html

bitternut

Here is a picture of another handy tool that I got for Christmas this year. My kids are always asking me what I wanted. Well this year I fooled them and said a set of lifting tongs instead of nothing. It works better than I anticipated and I can hook and unhook a log without getting off the tractor. Took a little practice and some oil but I've got it down pretty good now. The older you get the smarter you have to get. Its better on your back.

Frank_Pender

Mark, of Future Forestry, is a great fella.   ZHe is a pretty good friend of mine and lives about 15 miles West of my place.   I spoke with him a few days ago.  He is in California peddling his wares at some big ag show.   I spoke with his doughter yesterday as she was running sa vendor site at a community college where I was also vending Logrite Tools. You can truly believe the photos as I have seet the Volvo pulling the large Spruce and the 4' Maple. ::)

Bitternut.  I have been doing the same thing for a number of years now, with my tractor.  I have three main hooks attatched to the bucket.  One large hook in the middle for the 36" tongs and two smaller chain hooks at the corners for the 16" tongs and the 12" tongs, from which to hang.  (not all at once, of course)

One of the other things I have done on the new JX75 Case/International, is to place a piece of 1/2" T 111 ascross the top of the bucket before attatching the hooks as well as a 2' wide x 1/2" across the front edge of the bucket for addition strength.
Frank Pender

beenthere

I use the Deere I-match 3pt quickhitch ($180) to hang a set of logging tongs on the top hook, and carefully drag logs out with it. Handy and cheap for me.

Small pic and some discussion on this forum at (message #13);

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4404.msg59183#msg59183
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Camp Run Farm

Great information, thanks, now it is time to start welding!  I can't wait to get the mill, I already have some trees down..

Ed

Ironwood

Future Forestry arches are great. Had a Tractor Forwarding arch loaner here for 6 mons. Well engineered and great guy ( a friends employee bent/ abused his and they offered to help fix it at no cost ) Were doesthat happen today!Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Quote from: beenthere on March 20, 2005, 02:52:27 PM
I use the Deere I-match 3pt quickhitch ($180) to hang a set of logging tongs on the top hook, and carefully drag logs out with it. Handy and cheap for me.

I do the same with my quick hitch for skidding the big uns. Lower center of gravity and amazing lift ability (very close to lifting arms).

Brian
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

thecfarm

I wish more people would buy a  3pt winch.People spend $25000 for a truck,but won't spend $2000 on a winch that will last longer than a $25000 truck.I'm talking mostly about people who get out their firewood.It's so much easier than chains.We use to use chains.The winch is the only way to go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maple flats

The log arch I use is made by MDS and was purchased for $239.00 in May 2004. It is cat. 1 , 3 point hitch and works great.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!