iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet Gum, spiral grain, will the bark indicate this?

Started by Delawhere Jack, July 05, 2012, 03:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I was just contacted about a possible SG sawing job. CustomerSawyer mentioned that the grain is often spiral in SG, but that he has cut some that was not spiral. Does the bark give any indication whether or not the grain is spiral? The trees are still standing, and I need to advise the customer if they are worth milling.

Thanks,
Jack.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

The sweet gum I mill dries straight every time... Well one out of a dozen or so do.  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

clww

I've never milled any, however, every piece I've ever split for firewood had the twists.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 05, 2012, 05:18:42 PM
Jack, what's the customer's plan for the SG?

I don't know. Don't think he does either. CL ad inquiry.

WDH

The answer to you question is no.  The spiral is caused by the orientation of the water conducting cells called vessel elements.  The angle changes in successive years in each growth ring.  Even if the current growth ring and bark on the outside appear straight (not slanted or spiraling), other growth rings deep in the tree will have the spiral orientation.  This condition is called interlocked grain when the spiral angle reverses in the opposite direction one year after the next.  This reverse interlocking is what makes it so difficult to split, and what makes it so difficult to keep the lumber straight and flat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 05, 2012, 09:40:12 PM
The answer to you question is no.  The spiral is caused by the orientation of the water conducting cells called vessel elements.  The angle changes in successive years in each growth ring.  Even if the current growth ring and bark on the outside appear straight (not slanted or spiraling), other growth rings deep in the tree will have the spiral orientation.  This condition is called interlocked grain when the spiral angle reverses in the opposite direction one year after the next.  This reverse interlocking is what makes it so difficult to split, and what makes it so difficult to keep the lumber straight and flat.

say_what

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 05, 2012, 09:43:04 PM

say_what

Yeah, there were a lot of nouns, verbs and adjectives in that reply. I had to read it 4 times till it sunk in......... smiley_whacko

Thanks WDH, and Poston...

But seriously, thanks. That was the best explanation I've gotten.

Cutting Edge

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 05, 2012, 09:43:04 PM
NO.  The spiral is caused by vessel elements.  The angle changes in each growth ring.  Even if the current growth ring and bark appear straight other growth rings deep inside have spiral orientation.  Interlocked grain is when the spiral reverses direction.  This reverse interlocking is what makes it so difficult to split, and keep the lumber straight and flat.

say_what   smiley_sleeping

David, I thought that was EXACTLY what you told you're customers when they ask.   :P  WDH, you may have to 'splain it once more, but this time throw in some " mature longitudinal tracheids, hemi-cellulose and bordered pits" then we'd see him go  smiley_idea    :D
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

WDH

I am trying to wean him off longitudinal tracheids and move him on to vessel elements  ;D.

tcsmpsi

Actually, I believe the answer to the originally asked question might be a resounding, "Maybe/Sometimes".   :D  A sawmill makes a good firewood splitter for sweetgum.   ;D   
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Magicman

The "Bark" tells you it's Sweetgum.  That is your first indication that your next movement is to spiral away from it, very quickly.

I hates Sweetgum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

DanG, Danny, you beat me to it. That's exactly what I was gonna say.   :D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Bogue Chitto

If you do mill it you can go a long way on one blade. Very easy to saw. 

wscott

love SG which that  was all i sawed

have a good day to all
You should always marry a ugly girl, when she leaves you, you want feel so bad.

WDH

Sawing it is not the problem.  The challenge is trying to live with it afterwards  :).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 08, 2012, 09:15:35 PM
Sawing it is not the problem.  The challenge is trying to live with it afterwards  :).

Ain't that the truth!  >:(

WDH

I don't just saw em and leave em.  I have to live with em.

Magicman

I often joke about Sweetgum, but since I do saw um and leave um, neither the logs nor the lumber is why I hates Sweetgum.

My problem with Sweetgum is the saplings that are constantly sprouting in my open areas on my tree farm.  I have a constant battle spraying and hack-n-squirting to rid myself of this pest.

Pecan saplings are probably worse than Sweetgum, because they are deep rooted and harder to kill.  They are also much stouter and harder to bushhog.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Magicman

I agree.  Saplings as well as the lumber.  I have literally thousands of Pecan sprouts, so it is a constant battle.

Thank You Sponsors!