iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade setting mistake

Started by vfauto, July 09, 2012, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

:( I am new to blade sharpening and setting.I was setting one of my blades when I noticed that I skipped a tooth some where in the middle of the blade so now I do not have the correct sequence of straight ,left then right. The teeth are all messed up. How do I straighten out all the teeth so I can start fresh ???
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

kelLOGg

I've done that, too. Although not ideal, I just did not correct the mis-set. Skipping one tooth and throwing off all the remaining teeth by only one doesn't make much difference, IMO. So don't worry about it - it is not worth re-bending every tooth and re-setting. Now see what others say :o
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

vfauto

It is not just one setof teeth, most of the blade has no straight teeth.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Jim_Rogers

What was the original set pattern?
Was it one straight one and one left and one right?

If so find the correct spot and start over. Mark the starting spot with a piece of white chalk or magic marker in red or something bright and easy to see.
Start at the weld and work your way around on one side and then flip it and do the other, if you're setting with a single tooth setter.

Or saw with it and do it next time.

Jim Rogers.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

vfauto

It is one straight,one left and one right.

Bibbyman

Been there, done that.

You didn't tell us the what kind or brand of setter.

We have a Wood-Mizer dual tooth setter.   I've found I have no problem with clean and lightly oiled blade.  But if the blade is crusty and dry, it will sometimes spring back enough so the advance paw will be a tooth short.

When I notice the sequence is out, I take the tool provided and straighten them back up and start again.

I have let a few go but have not been happy with the blade.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

vfauto

I have a Cooks dual toothsetter.

Bibbyman

Our Wood-Mizer setter works by the turning of a crank.  I've learned to stand directly over the blade and watch the same spot as the blade hits the setting part of the cycle.   You can spot if it comes up wrong pretty easy if you don't loose concentration.
Sawing since '94

vfauto

Any suggestions on setting all teeth straight again?

Bibbyman

I only straightened up the ones that were supposed to be straight.  Then let the setter bend the others back.

Wood-Mizer includes a short aluminum bar with a slot sawn into one end about 1/4" deep.  Slip it over the tooth and bend away.   Make something like that or maybe use a pair of small pliers.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Frank, the teeth are in sets of three straight left right.Its safer to start at the welded joint as different legnths of bands sometimes are odd at the weld.If you can look down on the band when the tooth is going into the jaws  make sure its pushed the right direction,and check it often.You could try the band the way it is or start at the weld and look for the memory in the teeth and start from there.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!