iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulpwood

Started by Scott, November 16, 2002, 04:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

In my area you need a permit to sell pulpsticks to a mill.I don't have my permit. I'm wonder if anyone knows if i would be allowed to sell my pulpsticks to a contractor who has their permit. Thanks

Ron Wenrich

My understanding of the pulp market in my area is that the pulp mills give producers tickets for so many loads of pulp each month.  This puts the loggers on a quota, and prevents huge inventory build-ups at the pulp yards.

I know some guys who haul loads in on someone else's tickets.  I'm not sure how the payment is then handled.  It may go to whoever's ticket is given.

Otherwise, the mills wouldn't have any control who they get material from.  With the SFI push, paper mills have decided who is to be rewarded and who is to be denied, based on going to their classes.

Things may vary somewhat in your neck of the woods.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kevin

Ron,
How do they price pulpwood?

Ron Wenrich

All pricing is by the ton.  The only cord measurements are for firewood (State law).

I believe you have to seperate the pine from the hardwood.  There is a higher price for the pine, and sometimes you can get additional tickets for the pine.  Very little in this area.

Kevin

What`s an average price for a ton of pulpwood?

Tom

Pulpwood is bought and sold by the cord here in the SE but weighed to determine the cords.   Depending on which mill you sell to, a cord may range from 5,000 to 5700 lbs. Whether hardwood or softwood may make a difference but I'm not sure of that.  Prices run from $30 to $70 per cord depending on the price de jour set by the mill.  I've seen hardwood prices as low as $3 per cord.  Pine is the moneymaker.  Chip and Saw, sawlogs, poles and vaneer are where the dollars per ton can be made, but the mills have to be open to get it.  Recently,  mills have been cutting back and some closing at a rate that woodsman are quitting the business.

Ron Wenrich

I believe the going rate is around $25/ton.  Chips are about that price, and they don't need to be debarked.  Softwood prices are higher.

We have absolutely no softwood market for logs.  I'm a tad too far south for red pine, and a tad too far north for shortleaf pine.  The pine in our area is some scattered white pine and hemlock.  You will see some plantations of spruce or pine that is Christmas trees that got out of control.

White pine is used for log cabin stock, some grade boards, and 2 x 8 for flooring.  Hemlock is used for barn siding and construction wood.  We saw softwoods like hardwoods, as that is what the local market wants.

Foresters and landowners have a hardwood mentality.  Pine is often planted on the strip mined areas to reclaim them.  Most other people don't plant at all.  They just use natural regeneration.

Thank You Sponsors!